• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Define experienced, Neto has only just turned 21 but he's got 79 appearances for Wolves.

Kilman has hardly played for us by comparison (32 appearances) but he's 24 on Sunday.

Boly has had a difficult season, and had lots of Niggling Injuries,
Nope. Had 2 injuries and a dose of Covid.

Boly's season hasn't been anymore difficult than any other players really. Just one of those that standards slip and you notice it more. He hasn't been a Roger Johnson a clone or anything like that

Of those 21 how many can be classed as experienced.
My thinking is that we probably have 15 1st team squad the rest being U23
Ajax are in trouble then. Only 10 players above 23 in the squad, one of those is banned, 2 are crocked permanently and one is 38.

Or it could be that age is rubbish metric to judge ability?

However 30 is the start of the end for players, very few play like Moutinho has Boly probably has 2 / 3 years left, as has Jiminez
This is such a cliché, and not a very good one. The days of players being done at 30 are pretty much gone, bar the odd exception. Players are playing much longer at a very good standard compared to 20-30 years ago

I think the main problem with 30+ players these days is resale value. The money spent of Raul & Boly won't be recouped in any fashion. This makes replacing them even more expensive.

I could see logic (not necessarily agreeing with it mind) in selling them to give us more cash to fund their replacement, the alternative is getting nothing for them when they retire.

But that’s the point of amortisation, they are depreciating assets.

I'm not sure I know what you mean there, selling now gives us more money now as they have higher value. The older they get, the less they're worth.

What we'd get for Rui/Boly/Saiss/Moutinho isn't worth it. We couldn't replace them with what we'd bring in.

This dreamland that someone rocks up and gives us £15m for a 33 year old keeper (particularly given the last 18 months and what's happened to football in terms of finances) blows my mind. Would never happen.

Obviously, but we will have to replace them anyway. It's a little cheaper to do it whilst we can recoup some value.

£8m for Rui (if rumours are to be believed), £8-10m for Boly?, £3-4m for Saiss and maybe £2-3m for Moutinho. Add that all together and that's another player.

Why do people think Vitinha is a replacement for Moutinho?

Obviously, but we will have to replace them anyway. It's a little cheaper to do it whilst we can recoup some value.

£8m for Rui (if rumours are to be believed), £8-10m for Boly?, £3-4m for Saiss and maybe £2-3m for Moutinho. Add that all together and that's another player.
But you’ve signed 1 player to replace 4. Where’s the rest of the money for the other 3? Makes more financial sense to keep them and let them go for free. Rui the only exception maybe as there is some value to be had there, but in a ideal world he signs for another year and you kick the can down the road.

Or sell players like Mir, Sanderson and Vinagre for the same end result when they aren't even here and they aren't good enough anyway.

But you’ve signed 1 player to replace 4. Where’s the rest of the money for the other 3? Makes more financial sense to keep them and let them go for free. Rui the only exception maybe as there is some value to be had there, but in a ideal world he signs for another year and you kick the can down the road.
Same place you'd get it to replace them when they retire?

Doing it this way gives you an extra player

Edit. For clarity I'm not referring to this window, more an approach of selling players before they retire

Besides which we already need at least three first teamers, we all know this, we've been saying it for months.

Selling the blokes who are already in the team and who aren't really the problem doesn't help us, we now need 6 or 7!

But they haven’t retired yet? We need to sign at least three players as it is, do what you say and we need to sign three more. These aren’t squad players we are talking about, they are regular starters.

Not really as it’s a gradual process and you still had usage out of them.

What’s more useful to me. £1m in cash or Romain Saiss. Well Romain Saiss can do a job £1m cannot, and I can’t buy anyone of equal quality with the money. I get half a Marcal FFS

You sign new players and phase the old ones out. You don't need a revolving door policy especially given our squad size.

For clarity I'm not saying do it all in this transfer window. Maybe one or two this window, a few more next window.

It's about getting value before players become worthless. Would selling and replacing Saiss and Moutinho for example really hurt us that much considering they should be squad players. We do it this window and we generate some cash from players who will soon become worthless

For clarity I'm not saying do it all in this transfer window. Maybe one or two this window, a few more next window.

It's about getting value before players become worthless. Would selling and replacing Saiss and Moutinho for example really hurt us that much considering they should be squad players. We do it this window and we generate some cash from players who will soon become worthless
It really isn’t. With players approaching the end of their contract who still have value then yes. Saiss and Moutinho have zero value. No one will pay for them (certainly not anything worthwhile). So you’ve thrown away two players for nothing.

Back