• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

He’s not a particularly good centre back - and if we get an upgrade on Saiss we would then have coady, Boly, upgrade, Saiss and potentially Kilman ahead of him there.

And he’s pretty limited in midfield - excellent engine, breaks up play and good in the air - but almost no attacking threat in terms of goals or incisive passing - we can definately upgrade on him there. That just leaves him as cover, but in midfield we would have Neves, Moutinho, upgrade, Saiss, MGW so we wouldn’t be missing him hugely.

I think that's very harsh on all counts.

He'd walk into a lot of Premier League teams.

It seems a bit condescending to call him a utility player but thats what he is, however he is very good in all his roles, whether CB, DM or a box to box CM, it would be madness to let him go imo.....and whats this upgrade on Saiss stuff? He's a first class CB and another one that can do a very good job in midfield. Both would cost a fortune to replace

He’s a good player - but if we want to progress, we need more than he can give. He’s also a player who is wanted, which means we could get decent money for him.

It’s as much that I think those are the two positions I’d like us to see upgrade this summer. I think Saiss has been excellent, but that we can still improve on him (though it won’t be cheap), and I’d like a bit more in midfield. I think the remainder of the team are harder to upgrade.

It seems a bit condescending to call him a utility player but thats what he is, however he is very good in all his roles, whether CB, DM or a box to box CM, it would be madness to let him go imo.....and whats this upgrade on Saiss stuff? He's a first class CB and another one that can do a very good job in midfield. Both would cost a fortune to replace

To be fair, anyone in our team would be expensive to upgrade - we should have the money to do one or two though. Who would you upgrade on if not him or Saiss?

To be fair, anyone in our team would be expensive to upgrade - we should have the money to do one or two though. Who would you upgrade on if not him or Saiss?

Its a difficult one, every player in the squad plays an integral part in our style of play, don't think I'm clever/knowledgeable enough to come up with good replacements......luckily Nuno and his team are

It's very, very easy to say we'd have 'upgrade' as part of the squad on paper, but much more difficult when we're at this level for that to actually come to fruition.

Someone like Soumare comes with no pedigree at this level and he hasn't played more than 20 league games in a season in his career, which is surprising considering the money he's being touted for.

Looking with a cold heart and on paper you'd say Doc would be the first player in the main XI to be upgraded. And then from the squad, Donk. But as said the latter covers a couple of positions and roles and is a good squad player. And the former scores goals not many others in his role would.

It's tough and I'm thankful I'm not the one making those decisions.

It's a silly conversation. There wont be a big money transfer window. There can't be financially. Rumour sites need clicks. That's all.

I still think there will be big money transfers by prem teams. The season will be finished, they will get the tv money, the only thing they will have lost out on is 4 or 5 home games gate receipts.

I would be staggered. Think of the look of spending tens of millions while thousands are dying.

Move on yes, move back to what was - perhaps not.

Do you genuinely think big transfers won’t happen again? Apart from moral reasons (which have never stopped them before), what will make players go for less?

There's no such thing as financial morality in premier league football. Big, cash rich clubs will still buy players for ridiculous sums if money. Overall spend may be down but ultimately cash rich clubs will capitalise on the situation.

On our situation, I think donk is probably pretty low on the 'must keep' list. We're presumably going to be looking at a genuine top drawer centre half, and there's no point in having saiss, kilman and dendonker in the squad. I'd have both ahead of him incase of injury to one of the back three. I'd bring saiss on if we wanted to solidify midfield through a tactical change. I wouldn't bring either of them on if we were trying a change to make us more expansive. He's not as good a defender or defensive midfielder as saiss, and doesn't really do enough other than add legs offensively. Being the second best d/dm at the club shouldn't be enough to turn down a 'double our money' £25-30m bid.

With Bennett gone he's the only back up for right sided centre half, unless someone is signed or maybe Sanderson makes a breakthrough there. I like Saiss as a centre half but never on that side again, that experiment did not go well generally, and I'd have similar doubts of Kilman over there.

For me he now effectively has Bennett's place in the squad and frees up space to recruit another midfielder who could offer something more like Neves and/or Moutinho, perhaps someone more expansive still.

He’s a good player - but if we want to progress, we need more than he can give. He’s also a player who is wanted, which means we could get decent money for him.

It’s as much that I think those are the two positions I’d like us to see upgrade this summer. I think Saiss has been excellent, but that we can still improve on him (though it won’t be cheap), and I’d like a bit more in midfield. I think the remainder of the team are harder to upgrade.

I'm not sure we could improve on Saiss, he has been one of the best defenders in the league this season, who would you suggest?

I'm not sure we could improve on Saiss, he has been one of the best defenders in the league this season, who would you suggest?

I said above - would need to be real quality to help us push for champs league (which I think has to be our aim), so Militao who is apparently available, or Dias would be my preferences.

Back