• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I do think we’ll bring in one more, no idea what position but I don’t think we’re done just yet.

If you take Nuno's words after the Sevilla game, we are 1 player up on last season (?). it depends on how you take his words. Did he mean we need extra players or just a simple we need to upgrade the options I have and keep the squad around the same size

Well Timmy II says

"Tim Spiers
@TimSpiers
Would just point out, when he said more players I certainly read that as 'new signings'. Plan has never been to increase the size of the squad. He reiterated that again recently.

A centre half now to challenge Saiss would be bostin.

On this, so far this season (early days I know) and the end of last season post lockdown, I'd argue Saiss has been better than Boly and it's Boly who needs upgrading. Controversial I know, but bar one rush of blood Saiss has been consistently terrific IMO.

We will know more about Boly's form when he isn't having to babysit the RWB as well try to do his own job

I think it's more about viable options. We've replaced Doc with Semedo, Jonny with Marcal and lost Jota but have decent cover there.

It's Hoever, Vitinha and Silva who are the exciting but slightly unknown quantities, and they seem to be the understudies to CB/RWB, Moutinho and Raul. We'll see how confident Nuno is using them over the next few games I guess, but I imagine they'll all get game time

We still need a top class centre half, and another midfielder imo. Vitinha will be there to take pressure of Joao, and Silva for Raul - and that's great - but I'd still be happier with a cm who's got similar mobility to donk but better quality on the ball. And a centre back that's better than Saiss, who does a job but can definitely be improved on. At the end of the day our net spend is zero and we've only really improved one position in the starting eleven, so I'd be pretty surprised if that's us done.

I'd love one or two more, but this has been a pretty exemplary window all-told. We've got an enormously better squad than we did at the end of last season.

I find the idea that one of the best defences in the league from last season needs upgrading as a matter of urgency rather odd. Without Boly having to babysit Traore and with Hoever breathing down the back of their necks for a place at the back, I think we're very solid there, and any signing would be a bit of a luxury rather than something we absolutely need.

Someone in the middle to offer something a little different would be appreciated too, but again- we're not doing too badly there as it stands.

I'm still hoping for an N'Diaye upgrade. Been waiting a while tbf.

Well Timmy II says

"Tim Spiers
@TimSpiers
Would just point out, when he said more players I certainly read that as 'new signings'. Plan has never been to increase the size of the squad. He reiterated that again recently.
I've always felt it's been about having 16 outfield players he'd happily use.
You have the 10 that started on Monday
Donck
Hoever*
Semedo
Vitinha*
Vinagre*
Silva*

So for me anyone else depends on Nuno's view of those with a star against them. Probably only Vinagre that's really up for debate

The only area that I'd be desperate to upgrade right now would be back up goalkeeper. John Ruddy is not for for purpose at this level.

If Patrício picks up an injury we're absolutely screwed. Look at Arsenal last year, Leno went down, Martinez stepped in and performed brilliantly. If they'd had someone like Ruddy they might have finished bottom half and probably wouldn't have won the cup.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I'd love one or two more, but this has been a pretty exemplary window all-told. We've got an enormously better squad than we did at the end of last season.

I find the idea that one of the best defences in the league from last season needs upgrading as a matter of urgency rather odd. Without Boly having to babysit Traore and with Hoever breathing down the back of their necks for a place at the back, I think we're very solid there, and any signing would be a bit of a luxury rather than something we absolutely need.

Someone in the middle to offer something a little different would be appreciated too, but again- we're not doing too badly there as it stands.

I agree it's not hugely realistic to expect much more than what we've done. We've definitely increased Nuno's options.

I slightly disagree with you on the defence; it's not urgent for me, but I think next summer it should be one of our priorities.
If you compare it to our forward three, where we have four definite strong options and Fabio too, we have (even if you put Saiss on a par with Coady and Boly) three strong options in the back three, then Donk as a decent option, and Hoever as a bit of an unknown quantity (not sure I'd want an 18 year rookie thrown in to the PL in that position).

Also factoring in that we ALWAYS play with three centre-halves, but sometimes can play with just two up front.

The only area that I'd be desperate to upgrade right now would be back up goalkeeper. John Ruddy is not for for purpose at this level.

If Patrício picks up an injury we're absolutely screwed. Look at Arsenal last year, Leno went down, Martinez stepped in and performed brilliantly. If they'd had someone like Ruddy they might have finished bottom half and probably wouldn't have won the cup.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Thanks for putting this worry at the front of my mind now!

I do think we’ll bring in one more, no idea what position but I don’t think we’re done just yet.

I'm with you. Instinct is one more to come. No idea why I feel that way, or what position.

I think an elite CM signing would have the biggest impact (not sure where it would leave Vitinha though), but a CB upgrade would be cheaper and easier to do.

Apparently Everton made a late approach for semedo - how the fuck can they afford to keep signing players with their losses?

Of course, we're bound to get the 'we need one more signing or else' brigade but even if we brought in 7 new players, they'd still come out with the same thing.

I can't Jink who you mean. But I Del you what, they'll never be happy with the number of prawnkings no matter what.

I think an elite CM signing would have the biggest impact (not sure where it would leave Vitinha though), but a CB upgrade would be cheaper and easier to do.

Agree with this. While I'd love to see Todibo pitch up in WV1, what I think we really need is a goalscoring midfielder who can break into the box. With Semedo, Adama and Pod I can see an awful lot of balls being cut back to the 18 yard line.

I think we're hoping Neves can do that as he tried to in the 2nd half of the City game.

A perfect window would be getting Soumare in to do that job

Apparently, another Portuguese centre half, and we could field a full Portuguese 11. (this would include Rodders though)

Back