• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Kills the play off winners. Start the new season 2 weeks after the last and have 6 weeks to sign players

Not really. Hopefully they’ve done their scouting already, if they haven’t that’s their fault.

Like January, transfer window may as well be 10-14 days. Nothing happens in most of it so just condense it and nothing is lost.

Or scrap the whole thing and go back to where we were 20 years ago, I never saw the issue with that.

You'd get far fewer players hoarded "just in case" because a club could always go out and sign someone if they had an injury crisis.

You wouldn't get players/agents acting the goat and indulging in brinkmanship nearly so much because there's no time constraint (bar the last 8 or so games of the season) on them moving.

You wouldn't get as many panic buys just wasting money where a club has done a trolley dash as it looks like they're in the shit and they've got a few days to fix it.

Gives smaller clubs far more opportunity to replace someone if one of their better players ends up leaving.

More interesting for us fans, transfers nearly all year round instead of condensed into two windows, where as Punts says hardly anything happens for the majority of them.

Bring back loans whenever you like and for however long you like, we might be fine sending a young kid or a fringe player out for a month, but not six months so as it is they just get stuck here. Or players get stuck on 6/12 month loans where they never play, wasting everyone's time.

There must be some objections that FIFA/UEFA/you lot might think of but I don't see the downside! I have never seen the point of transfer windows in football. I'm sure they're great in other sports, not this one though.

Not really. Hopefully they’ve done their scouting already, if they haven’t that’s their fault.

Like January, transfer window may as well be 10-14 days. Nothing happens in most of it so just condense it and nothing is lost.
Can't agree. They will be weak already being a play off team then have to start the league with the same players and no pre season to integrate new ones. Doesn't really matter who they've scouted they aren't going to sign them until they know what league they are in.

Championship play off final is predicted to be 30th July, 4 days after PL finished. PL predicted to start mid September.

I’m struggling to see where the issue is. The playoffs Is marginally after the season finishes. And like every window, nothing is really done at the start (certainly not for wanted players, you can sign shite anytime).

30th July was the play off final target date but with 12 games to play for the winning team that would be 2 games a week for 6 weeks. It'll be a week or so after would be my bet. Reports I've seen have the PL is predicting to start 1st week of September

Ok. So they are not going to be able to sign players for a week in a week no one else will be signing players?

You've lost me.
A team will be promoted with a month or less to get ready for a season at a higher level, meaning anyone they do sign won't have a pre season with their new team. That's surely a disadvantage?

You've lost me.
A team will be promoted with a month or less to get ready for a season at a higher level, meaning anyone the do sign won't have a pre season with their new team. That's surely a disadvantage?

Well it depends doesn’t it. All the teams promoted will be in the same boat. But so will the teams who stay up, they’ll have a rubbish team that they can’t integrate new players into either. Sheff Utd’s team is basically the same as last year but they have a winning mentality. Maybe Fulham getting promoted with a winning mentality gives them an advantage over a dysfunctional West Ham or Bournemouth.

I don’t think the integration is a massive issue anyway, most players aren’t signed towards the end of the window, so nothing has changed.

You'd get far fewer players hoarded "just in case" because a club could always go out and sign someone if they had an injury crisis.

You wouldn't get players/agents acting the goat and indulging in brinkmanship nearly so much because there's no time constraint (bar the last 8 or so games of the season) on them moving.

You wouldn't get as many panic buys just wasting money where a club has done a trolley dash as it looks like they're in the shit and they've got a few days to fix it.

Gives smaller clubs far more opportunity to replace someone if one of their better players ends up leaving.

More interesting for us fans, transfers nearly all year round instead of condensed into two windows, where as Punts says hardly anything happens for the majority of them.

Bring back loans whenever you like and for however long you like, we might be fine sending a young kid or a fringe player out for a month, but not six months so as it is they just get stuck here. Or players get stuck on 6/12 month loans where they never play, wasting everyone's time.

There must be some objections that FIFA/UEFA/you lot might think of but I don't see the downside! I have never seen the point of transfer windows in football. I'm sure they're great in other sports, not this one though.

I agree with all of that, I would also be more than happy for the fake pantomime that sky sports news put on over transfer deadline day. Its woeful.

The moronic comments that I see around transfer windows is also a pain to view, seems to bring out total bellends.

It's a tough decision during windows, you want to look at Twitter to see if anything's going on or if anyone reliable is flagging something up (for instance if John Percy says something is going to happen, it probably will) but bloody hell, our fans are dreadful. I'm sure every club is the same but I don't follow them.

So the winner has two months and two days

Normally the final is around May 31 so there would be three months. It is reduced, but it is for everyone.

I received a "Koulibaly to Liverpool, Jiminez to Juventus" alert on my phone and about shit my pants, but it was just a rumors article

Jiminez to Juventus" alert on my phone and about shit my pants, but it was just a rumors article

This rumour I presume

Juventus are willing to offer two Italy internationals - defender Daniele Rugani, 25, and winger Federico Bernardeschi, 26 - to Wolves in an attempt to lower the cost of a deal for Mexico striker Raul Jimenez, 29. (Tuttosport)

I doubt Juve will be agreeing anything right now anyway. Sarri's got a decent chance of being sacked regardless of whether he wins the league this season (which is not a sure thing at this point)

Multi-player swap deals are the works of fantasy for people who play far too much Football Manager.

Back