• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

And again
Mata used to be world class. Hes an exception to the rule. For every mata there are a dozen chris woods, sam vokes, andy carrolls, ryan shawcross etc, who dominate through physicality and not skill so much. The english premier league is the most fast paced and physical league in the world.

Leon Britton did alright for himself when he finally got to the Premier League, wouldn't call him world class but he was definitely small weak and slow, his similarly diminutive midfield partner, Joe Allen, also carved out a decent career for himself earning a couple of big money moves in spite of his physical limitations. Steed Malbranque was hardly a world beater and he managed to cope with playing in the Premier League pretty well too and that was some years ago when things would've been more physical than they are now.

Just because the average height is a lot taller than some of these guys doesn't mean they're destined for failure like you seemed to suggest when someone mentioned some kid from Spain, you don't have to be World Class to overcome it either, there's a lot more to football than being bigger than you're opponent.

Says Mr "KISS GOODBYE TO 7th LADS!1!1!!"...

I also feared our season was heading for the sewer after the Southdownton and Boremouth results. The way we've picked ourselves up and come back strong over this last week is seriously impressive. It's almost as though wim a big club.

Im not saying anyone small is destined for failure. Im saying the premier league favours tall, strong, physical, fast players with lots of endurance, more than the other leagues (seria a, la liga, bundersliga) because the game is more physical and faster paced. Every single team has super skillful players who dont perform as well as less skilful/talented players because the later have much better physique for the game. Even players like jota, who are fast and skillful and very strong for their size take a beating with hard and rash challenges every single game and were very lucky to have avoided injuries.

To me if we are going to spend 15-20+ million and take a chance on a player who is unproven, we should do so on someone who is strong, durable and fast rather than a small, frail player, even if hes skilled. Id much rather have a kante style player from league 1 than lainez
Anyways, not going to post anymore on this, lets move on please

Leon Britton did alright for himself when he finally got to the Premier League, wouldn't call him world class but he was definitely small weak and slow, his similarly diminutive midfield partner, Joe Allen, also carved out a decent career for himself earning a couple of big money moves in spite of his physical limitations. Steed Malbranque was hardly a world beater and he managed to cope with playing in the Premier League pretty well too and that was some years ago when things would've been more physical than they are now.

Just because the average height is a lot taller than some of these guys doesn't mean they're destined for failure like you seemed to suggest when someone mentioned some kid from Spain, you don't have to be World Class to overcome it either, there's a lot more to football than being bigger than you're opponent.

Ryan Fraser, Lucas Torreira, Santi Cazorla, Stephane Sessnegnon, SWP, Lennon, Nathan Dyer

Newsflash. Short, quick ,tricky, elusive people are actually effective.

But tall, strong defenders are also good too.

Ryan Fraser, Lucas Torreira, Santi Cazorla, Stephane Sessnegnon, SWP, Lennon, Nathan Dyer

Newsflash. Short, quick ,tricky, elusive people are actually effective.

But tall, strong defenders are also good too.

It's almost as though you make a good team by signing talented players rather than just worrying about how big, strong or similarly built to a sprinter (despite not actually resembling the build of a sprinter in any way) they are, who would've guessed?!

It's almost as though you make a good team by signing talented players rather than just worrying about how big, strong or similarly built to a sprinter (despite not actually resembling the build of a sprinter in any way) they are, who would've guessed?!

Crazy.

If Jota was 6ft 2 and built like a sprinter he would be Jiminez and therefore not quick, tricky and skillful.

Crazy that having two different players upfront complement each other well and are effective as a duo.

Fuck that though. Sign Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood as we need big physical players up front

EDIT.

fbce3283d99ce57eaf1e7c122117bbbc.jpg

What you mean no one resembles a sprinter. There’s tons who look like this...

Had to take a second look at that then, could've sworn it was Raheem Sterling first time round!

Raheem-Sterling-679195.jpg

We had the NFL draft this past weekend where some clubs signed players based on Needs of a team while others signed players because they were deemed the best available. Maybe English football will head in that direction, what do Wolves need. Nuno will have a vision of how he sees his playing style developing and what characteristics it requires to make it happen.

Im not saying anyone small is destined for failure. Im saying the premier league favours tall, strong, physical, fast players with lots of endurance, more than the other leagues (seria a, la liga, bundersliga) because the game is more physical and faster paced. Every single team has super skillful players who dont perform as well as less skilful/talented players because the later have much better physique for the game. Even players like jota, who are fast and skillful and very strong for their size take a beating with hard and rash challenges every single game and were very lucky to have avoided injuries.

To me if we are going to spend 15-20+ million and take a chance on a player who is unproven, we should do so on someone who is strong, durable and fast rather than a small, frail player, even if hes skilled. Id much rather have a kante style player from league 1 than lainez
Anyways, not going to post anymore on this, lets move on please

That's it then , we sign Usain Bolt or just go back to Div 1. do you really mean the bit in bold, cause i quite liked the transfer thread early doors

A lot of times I find myself reading through this thread (and other rumours) and catch myself thinking that there's no way we'd buy a player in a certain position as we already have x y or z playing there, it's not an immediate priority etc. I don't imagine many people will be thinking we'd be looking to upgrade Coady, for example. I just think that maybe we need to be a bit prepared for some players that we've become attached to over the last year or two to be replaced sooner than we think. Douglas last year is a prime example.

If we really want to strap a rocket to this club then it's going to be a delicate balancing act between maintaining the family type atmosphere among the squad and being ruthless when it comes to improving the team. With hindsight I think we can all agree that sentimentality cost us under Mick and we kept some players around for far too long. I don't think that'll happen this time around - so when sifting through things personally I am not ruling anyone or anything out at this point!

The only thing I'd say is that people are getting a bit carried away with who we could attract in terms of wages. We are not going to suddenly stick 2-3 players on pushing £200k a week and some of those mentioned would be in that bracket.

We're now in a position where anyone we want who will improve our team is either a) a bit of a steal out of nowhere, totally under the radar b) a favour from Uncle Jorge on mate's rates c) going to cost a crazy amount of money. We will bring in a few, the squad will grow a bit (but not to the point where we have 25 first team players) but don't expect us to start straight out duking it out with Arsenal, Lyon, Milan, Dortmund and the likes. Not at this stage. Even Europa League qualification isn't going to change that much as a one off.

well, we are already in the deep doo doo if we make Europe, as the first qualifying game is four days after the last game in China, and Nuno says no way are we cancelling China.

Do we now look at each game as a fourteen man game, maybe buying players who are in their twilight years, early/mid thirties who could still make a massive impact from the bench. I can imagine Moutinho at 34 or 35 making a tremendous second half impact.

Fosun are an investment group. Burning money on players with zero value is not their game.

They'll make the odd exception here and there but not many. Also we're able to play our way for a whole game, keep players fit for a whole season, earn a load of points in the last 15 minutes because we have a young squad.

well, we are already in the deep doo doo if we make Europe, as the first qualifying game is four days after the last game in China, and Nuno says no way are we cancelling China.

4 days is fine, not like they will be travelling back in a bus is it. Even better if we get some someone from Azerbaijan away in the 1st leg...

The only thing I'd say is that people are getting a bit carried away with who we could attract in terms of wages. We are not going to suddenly stick 2-3 players on pushing £200k a week and some of those mentioned would be in that bracket.

We're now in a position where anyone we want who will improve our team is either a) a bit of a steal out of nowhere, totally under the radar b) a favour from Uncle Jorge on mate's rates c) going to cost a crazy amount of money. We will bring in a few, the squad will grow a bit (but not to the point where we have 25 first team players) but don't expect us to start straight out duking it out with Arsenal, Lyon, Milan, Dortmund and the likes. Not at this stage. Even Europa League qualification isn't going to change that much as a one off.

I don't think we're quite at the stage you say we are in your 2nd paragraph (but agree that we're rapidly approaching it). I think there are clear and obvious areas of the squad which could be upgraded quite easily and others where we are woefully short of depth. As much as I love them I don't think we'd have to break the bank (any more than we already have) to improve for example Doherty, Coady, Bennett, Saïss, Gibbs-White, Cavaleiro, Costa or Traoré.

We can continue recruiting as we have been for a while yet IMO before we get to a stage where we need to be throwing mega money at already established stars to see any sort of improvement.

The thing is that five of those seven don't start. And you don't upgrade your bench, you upgrade your starting XI so those existing players go on the bench.

Yes, we could find someone better than Adama Traore, we could start in League One. Wouldn't really solve anything though.

The thing is that five of those seven don't start. And you don't upgrade your bench, you upgrade your starting XI so those existing players go on the bench.

You don't have designated starters/bench players, you have several players competing for each spot. You upgrade the position, not the player.

5 of those 7 don't start because they're not good enough to compete with the 13/14 or so players we have who are a cut above the rest of the squad and the other 2 literally have no competition for their places.

Yes, but you wouldn't go out and sign a player capable of playing at centre half and central midfield who fits in the sweet spot between being not as good as Leander Dendoncker, but better than Romain Saiss. There's zero value in that.

To get into our first XI you have to be seriously talented or be an exact fit for our system as Doherty and Coady are. RCB is probably the one exception, but Benno really hasn't let us down much. If we want Boly's right sided equivalent, that is likely to fit into one of the three categories I mentioned.

Theo Walcott would be of far more use to us than any of Cavaleiro, Costa or Traore. I do not want us to sign him.

Back