• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Twitter just got a bit better, Fielden is going to school DW tomorrow on his inaccuracies in the FFP article...........

Allegedly.

There's one bit I didn't phrase very well (it's not wrong per se, but the way I wrote it doesn't quite read properly and it would be disingenuous to change it now). I think most of it holds up well unless there's some secret info that I'm not privy to.

Bottled it, hiding behind protecting his sources.

Which just shows that he doesn't listen.

What a stupid agenda to have when it isn't even based in fact. Apparently someone has responded to Clemmit using my article :icon_lol: which is just daft really. There must be a better source than me!

That was me, I hope you don't mind. I wanted to make the point that the information is out there and available to people who aren't in the football industry and yet these "experts" don't seem to understand FFP. It might also get you a bit more exposure and dollar :)

Your article is the best I've read at explaining FFP and also how were managing the risk. It seems the BBC guys have just haven't done any research

No, I don't mind at all mate. I just thought there'd be someone a bit more reputable than some nobody is all :D

I mean this with the upmost respect but that was kind of my point, a "nobody" has more insight and understanding than someone who gets paid to know this stuff

Classic case of bad news sells, the clickbait world of today's internet. Tired example of verdict threads after 3-0 defeat compared to 3-0 win fits here.

He's only negative towards "some selected signings"...So that'll be all of the ones that Jorge Mendes has helped us get, you know, the good ones

I have no concerns about our signing reference FFP, but what do we think our wage bill will be?

I have no concerns about our signing reference FFP, but what do we think our wage bill will be?

Lots (although the headroom is there because we were working from an ultra-low base this time last year). But then revenue should be massively up this year. If we're any good.

It's a gamble, I wouldn't pretend it's not. But it's a calculated one.

I should imagine it will be high but if we go up then it doesn't matter much like Bournemouth's didn't and i think you and others have said before if we don't go up we have assets to sell. Pretty sure Fosun think we can get promoted this season though.

Difficult to say really. My suggestion would be that the Mendes players are heavily incentivised, officially or otherwise. 'You will be on x, get promoted earn y, don't get promoted I'll get you a bigger move next Summer'. With this bunch of players we are metaphorically at shit or bust, but in a smart way not literally.

yeah, pressure on..we need to go up

Our permanent signings this summer have been Neves, Ofosu-Ayeh, Miranda, Ruddy and Douglas. If we don't go up then Neves go for at least what we paid. Two of the other four were free. Costa will go too at an insane profit if we don't make it.

Forgive me for not wetting myself about our commitments.

Agreed, which is why it's smart, but heavily based on this season rather than a gradual build.

What would happen in terms of the accounting/FFP if a player's career ended?

Say you've got £15m or whatever invested in Neves and you've mitigated the risk somewhat with the long contract to soften the financial blow in each year. What happens to the outstanding balance if the contract isn't fulfilled without an outgoing transfer? Obviously any transfer leads that risk of a player getting injured or whatever but just wondered how the financial side of that risk carries through with modern day football accounting.

Insurance, innit.

We got some kind of a payout for dear old George Ndah even though he retired a good 6-7 years after we signed him.

I imagine you'd have to write off the remaining value of the player on the books and then presumably the insurance payment would cover that amount to leave you in the same position?

Wouldn't be the end of the world in that situation I suppose, you just lose the saleable asset that could've potentially made you some extra income. Probably only likely to be an issue if you were really stretching things for big wages and relying on selling at a profit to cover the shortfall.

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

In regards to FFP, say Neves has cost us £15m on 5 year deal for simplicities sake. That is £3m per season in terms of FFP. If next summer we sell him for whatever fee, say £20m, I understand that the £20m income will show on FFP as one lump sum, but does the £3m per year still show as a spend for the next 4 years?

Back