• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

He's not. He's an Irish Catholic who grew up in Derry (on the estate where a number of people who died on Bloody Sunday came from). He refuses to wear a poppy on his shirt because of the connections to the British Army. He's well within his rights to do so IMO.
Of course he is. Didn't imagine that's what it was about?

McLean refuses to wear a poppy on his shirt on remembrance day, due to it's link to the British army and his links to Derry Ireland.

Whilst I might not agree with his stance, it's not an anti British stance and he is within his rights not wear it, it's a passive protest if that.

He's done a few other things. Refused to face a Union Jack while the national anthem was being played before a game on Albion's pre season tour IIRC.

It doesn't help that he just comes across as a complete prick on the pitch. Constantly fighting/goading opposition fans. He'd be one of those players you love to hate even without all the poppy stuff.

If you can't be relaxed about our prospects of signing players now then you never will be.

I get thinking McClean is pretty $#@!e but why exactly is he scum?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...reasons-failed-wear-poppy-against-Bolton.html

Because he outlined a thoughtful, respectful and dignified reason as to why he chooses not to wear a poppy for Remembrance Sunday. So despite the fact that one of the central tenets of our society is tolerance and respect for other opinions he is labelled as a nationalistic prick and scum.

There are many people, for many reasons, who decline to wear a poppy. Respected Channel 4 journalist Jon Snow, for example, refers to poppy fascism, and any public figure who declines to wear a poppy whatever their reasons becomes a figure of hate...which is very un-British in my opinion.

He's done a few other things. Refused to face a Union Jack while the national anthem was being played before a game on Albion's pre season tour IIRC.

It doesn't help that he just comes across as a complete prick on the pitch. Constantly fighting/goading opposition fans. He'd be one of those players you love to hate even without all the poppy stuff.
Personally I don't think I could fault any Irishman for little protests like that.

You're right, though, he does come off as a bit of a cock just on his demeanor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...reasons-failed-wear-poppy-against-Bolton.html

Because he outlined a thoughtful, respectful and dignified reason as to why he chooses not to wear a poppy for Remembrance Sunday. So despite the fact that one of the central tenets of our society is tolerance and respect for other opinions he is labelled as a nationalistic prick and scum.

His stance on not wearing a poppy is fine. Tweeting that you listen to The Broad Black Brimmer as one of your personal pre-match tunes is not fine.

Anyway, we're not signing him for any number of reasons so this discussion doesn't belong here.

Brits aren't as keen on open displays of patriotism as Americans - except for the poppy. It's venerated, and in recent years especially so. Every time someone well-known (a newsreader, for example) forgets to wear one around November, the tabloids throw a fit.

To put it in context, you remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks? It's kind of like that. Not actually a radical political stance, but is controversial in the context of the time period.

(He is a shit player, though.)

He's not. He's an Irish Catholic who grew up in Derry (on the estate where a number of people who died on Bloody Sunday came from). He refuses to wear a poppy on his shirt on Remembrance Day because of the connections to the British Army. He's well within his rights to do so IMO.

He is so principled that he comes to the very country he despises to ply his trade.

Brits aren't as keen on open displays of patriotism as Americans - except for the poppy. It's venerated, and in recent years especially so. Every time someone well-known (a newsreader, for example) forgets to wear one around November, the tabloids throw a fit.

To put it in context, you remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks? It's kind of like that. Not actually a radical political stance, but is controversial in the context of the time period.

(He is a $#@! player, though.)
Sure, I get all that, but he's not even British, so I don't get why he'd be expected to wear it in the first place. Add in that he's Irish and you'd think people would be doubly forgiving.

Sure, I get all that, but he's not even British, so I don't get why he'd expected to wear it in the first place. Add in that he's Irish and you'd think people would be doubly forgiving.

This is so sweet! I mean, I wish that were the case, but being "forgiving" hasn't exactly been a common emotion when it comes Anglo-Irish relations in the 20th century...

And the poppy is something everyone is expected to respect (and wear), just as much as, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger wore an American flag pin on his lapel. It's a symbol of national unity, and a lot of British people (particularly over the last 15-20 years, I must stress) now see it as a necessary gesture from foreigners who live and work here. If you don't wear it, you disrespect (or even hate) the UK, that kind of nonsense.

This is so sweet! I mean, I wish that were the case, but being "forgiving" hasn't exactly been a common emotion when it comes Anglo-Irish relations in the 20th century...

And the poppy is something everyone is expected to respect (and wear), just as much as, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger wore an American flag pin on his lapel. It's a symbol of national unity, and a lot of British people (particularly over the last 15-20 years, I must stress) now see it as a necessary gesture from foreigners who live and work here. If you don't wear it, you disrespect (or even hate) the UK, that kind of nonsense.
True enough, even if it rings unfair.

Absolutely, I agree. (And I speak as someone who's lost family to wars.) But others will strongly disagree.

Where are these three signings then?

Apparently, we've made 3 bids for Ben Marshall from Blackburn, but they've turned down £4m.

Back