• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Surely the point of a release clause is to be far higher than you actually value the player to bump the asking price up. Iorfa is one of the best young defenders in the country, £15M seems like a reasonable clause to me.
Not when the club would in all likelihood accept half of that and maybe less

Well, it is nonsence for me..afobe for almost 10m..iorfa for 15m..no chance

I think Wolves would crumble before the bidding got to £15m, assuming anyone would even bid that high.

Yes, but the fact that he had the clause would bump the price up towards that figure. Obviously no one is going to bid £15M.

As Kenny said, I doubt we actually have that clause. We don't have enough savvy for that.

Would be highly surprised if the report is accurate, but he did sign a new contract not that long ago I think

£15m release clause for Iofra, come on..its not for real..not in a million years an inexperienced defender with no prem starts is going for that money, i could bet my life

Mings with no PL or international experience went for £9m last summer.

Iorfa playing for the England u21's and the new TV deal means we should be asking for a minimum of the same amount. The precedent has been set. If he goes for anything less then Moxey isn't incompetent, he's negligent.

doesnt really matter, they wont buy him for 15m FFS

Nobody's saying they will FFS. There are some very uninspiring footballers out there with release clauses in excess of £100M.

Mings with no PL or international experience went for £9m last summer.

Iorfa playing for the England u21's and the new TV deal means we should be asking for a minimum of the same amount. The precedent has been set. If he goes for anything less then Moxey isn't incompetent, he's negligent.

OK, do you really believe we will get close to 10m for him? I dont, maybe 6m

Bradley Dack to Palace for £2.5M.

Opportunity missed. We should've gone in for him in Jan with the Afobe money.

Bradley Dack to Palace for £2.5M.

Opportunity missed. We should've gone in for him in Jan with the Afobe money.

ooof, TV money and all that

If we stick to our guns and merely repeat that he's under contract and The Fee paid for Mings then we could yes.

Do I trust Moxey to achieve a fee of that scale? No.

It's not altogether crazy to think fees won't go crazy this summer though, all it takes is one club to go break precedent, who'd have thought ten years ago championship clubs like Fulham would spend £10m on McCormack or Boro £9m on Rhodes?

Forwards > Defenders IMO

ooof, TV money and all that

You plum. He plays league 1 football for Gillingham. Who was the last player signed from a L1 club that went for more than that? Oxlade-Chamberlain?

You plum. He plays league 1 football for Gillingham. Who was the last player signed from a L1 club that went for more than that? Oxlade-Chamberlain?

i will make a bet with you, do you think we will make 10m+ for iorfa?

It's not altogether crazy to think fees won't go crazy this summer though, all it takes is one club to go break precedent, who'd have thought ten years ago championship clubs like Fulham would spend £10m on McCormack or Boro £9m on Rhodes?

Quite right, one transfer early on can mess the whole window up as perceived values change, "if Player X has gone for £Y then our player is better than him so we want more than that". Let's say Hull don't go up and decide Curtis Davies can go, someone pays £6m for him, we think that given he's 31 and has no development in him we want something a fair way in excess of that for Dom, any number of things could happen.

Of course the Afobe precedent is that we'll just accept the first offer which is top business sense at a time you're without any external funding at all. Such a fucking ridiculous decision.

As for defenders not being worth as much as strikers, you scrimp on the former at your peril, not as if you can go out and play five strikers (I'm sure Fred would like to in his world ;) ). I wonder if Man Utd decided in the end that Rio Ferdinand merited his £29m fee? Not to suggest Iorfa will ever get near that level himself before anyone starts.

Back