• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

I'm just saying it won't be helping his attitude. Who knows what gets said to him in the dressing room by Ken too. Maybe he's lumping responsibility for lack of creativity on him all the time.

Paul Lambert's been sacked (or is resigning? Not clear yet) from Blackburn, apparently.

I'd be delighted with him as a Jackett replacement.

I'm still highly dubious about Lambert - he was brilliant at Norwich but he made Villa actively appalling to watch (frequently having under 30% possession) and although he's working with very little resources and a poor squad at Blackburn he's garnered three points fewer with them than Ken has managed with us since he took charge. He also took them on a run of scoring one goal in six games during December/January.

I suspect Villa broke him for good and he's just another version of 2015/16 Ken with a slightly more varied CV. I don't see it as being an obvious upgrade at this stage.

I'm with you on this Dan. I've seen Lambert from his Wycombe days and his teams were always exciting to watch but his Villa side were appalling, something has happened and I don't think he has recovered yet.

On McDonald, I'd have looked to upgrade 2 seasons ago personally. too much hot and cold.

Fair points on Lambert - I always felt that he was always doomed at Villa, though. They spent far too much under O'Neill and didn't get continental qualification to justify the expense, and ever since they appointed McLeish they've felt like a club where the main priority was avoiding relegation rather than anything else. Lambert couldn't really spend much and had to, like Jackett to an extent, make the most of what was in the youth team to plug the gaps, and you never expect fantastic football from teams near the bottom of the PL tbh.

Maybe it has broken him, though. Managers to seem to have a best-by date.

Paul Lambert's been sacked (or is resigning? Not clear yet) from Blackburn, apparently.

I'd be delighted with him as a Jackett replacement.
He is quitting. His contract allows him to walk away at the end of the season. He has been critical of the club and was getting a tad fucked off that the owners ignored him after the level of debt was revealed at the club.

Think there is still something there for Lambert, did well with Colchester before doing a fantastic job with Norwich. Villa have been treading water for years in the Prem now and the season they are having has been coming for a while. Took on a bang average squad at Blackburn and then Rhodes left in January also. Think with the right team, board etc (his last 2 boards have been shocking) he could do a job. With our situation presently don't think we are that club though.

Arsenal now linked with Iorfa. There isn't necessarily truth in any of it, but there seems a lot of noise about him and I have zero faith in us rebuffing offers or releasing much of the funds to be invested in the squad. I think the only way we will see him in a Wolves shirt in September is if he goes to a club like Arsenal and we get him back on a season loan.

The annoying thing is that if Iorfa or Hause were to be sold to a Premiership club, they would be loaned straight back out to one of our Championship rivals, probably for the season!

We only sell either for a minimum of £12m each with a season long loan back to us
Anything less and we should all go home !!!

:icon_lol: to that release clause

Surely the point of a release clause is to be far higher than you actually value the player to bump the asking price up. Iorfa is one of the best young defenders in the country, £15M seems like a reasonable clause to me.

I think Wolves would crumble before the bidding got to £15m, assuming anyone would even bid that high.

£15m release clause for Iofra, come on..its not for real..not in a million years an inexperienced defender with no prem starts is going for that money, i could bet my life

£15m release clause for Iofra, come on..its not for real..not in a million years an inexperienced defender with no prem starts is going for that money, i could bet my life

Whilst I don't think he has got that clause....a defender of similar standing moved to the Prem for £9m last summer. Chuck in the new massive TV money for next season and a jump to around that amount would not be unlikely

Back