• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

He is better than the 2015/16 version of Ikeme. Mind you so are about 150 keepers currently playing in the top four divisions.

I guess they see Flatt as the future Number 1 but he is still 2-3 years away. No doubt he will be out on a season long loan in the FL. Wonder if Cheltenham will try and re-sign him

Cheltenham would be a decent loan move for him - he did well & they seemed happy to have him there.

Needs consistent regular first team action as the No 1 keeper now. More likely to get it there rather than pushing him too high up the league pyramid. Games are important now rather than level & I doubt that there is much difference between league 1 & 2

Has anyone mentioned the James Wilson rumour on here?

I'm caught in two minds on this one, he's obviously highly rated (NWW might be able to fill in more here) and I thought he looked quality against us at the Amex but BHA fans almost unanimously don't want to see him back, he's had some kind of health problem affecting him recently and I'd rather we used Enobakhare/Wilson/Reid/Ennis than another clubs youngster.

Twitter suggesting this morning that we've made a bid of £750k for Matt Smith of Fulham, a "traditional English centre forward"

A big lump with no skill and the mobility of a 1930s sideboard, more like.

Yeah that wouldn't be much fun to watch.

Wilson needs a proper pre-season and to be the 1st choice striker somewhere, unless Jose fancies him. He's a fantastic talent.

I hope not. Smith was one of the ones I was scared we'd end up with when KJ started talking about a powerful forward to pair with Mason (along with Makienok, Polter, Hoffmann etc). I didn't realise that he was about to turn 28 as well.

If the Matt Smith rumour is true then I can only conclude that Jackett or Thelwell (or both) is a WBA double agent

Has Thelwell typed "list of shit Fulham players" into Google?

Makes you long for the halcyon days of chasing Chris Wood

BPI_JG_Fulham_Brighton_10733.jpg

As far as big lumps go, I've always thought he was ok - he's not been in league football that long and scores a few goals and is a pain for defenders. Kind of an iwelumo signing.

Wouldn't want to pay loads for him, but we could sign worse.

He's got skillz. Get him in.

matt-smith-three.jpg

As far as big lumps go, I've always thought he was ok - he's not been in league football that long and scores a few goals and is a pain for defenders. Kind of an iwelumo signing.

Wouldn't want to pay loads for him, but we could sign worse.

I don't think Smith is very good at all but even if he were a serviceable target man at this level, it's only worth signing that kind of player if you know how to use them properly. In the first three months we had Iwelumo we did use him properly, balls into feet and chest, runners off and around him, bags of service from out wide. From December onwards we started hoofing the ball at him (or more accurately, above his head) and he looked rubbish, I think he scored once for us in the last five months of the season. We never used Iwan Roberts properly when he was here, again just aimless hoofball at him, he looked like an extremely poor footballer when the reality is if you used him properly and set the team up in the right way then he was a very good striker at this level.

I haven't seen anything from Kenny Jackett's Wolves to suggest he knows how to use that kind of player. We gave Sigurdarson an extended go and for the most part he had a completely thankless task, way too isolated, no chance of bringing others in to play, competing for balls he was never going to win against two centre halves - he wasn't good enough anyway but neither would any other kind of target man be effective if you play like that.

Back