• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

18 more attacks a game? Bring it on

Lump it up, look for the flick on. Repeat 20 times per game for 46 games
18 more attacks a game? Bring it on

Well at least we will be playing to our strengths rather than shoe horning people into positions they neither like or are competent to play in. I spent a number of years working at Cambridge Utd matches in the late 80@s and early 90's under Chris Turner and John Beck. The quality of football was not high technically but playing pretty close to 4-2-4 at home, full backs lump the ball to wingers they cross for Dublin/ Taylor/ Claridge to score was the simple rule and it worked with those personnel. They reached the play offs and lost in the semis to Leicester. Granted it went down hill from there mainly because the likes of Dublin, Philpott , Rowett Kimble and Taylor were sold and not effectively replaced ( familiar story). The point of this post is that if KJ is to stay ( and its likely) and if the ownership issue is not sorted soon( and that too is likely to take some time) then we will not see many changes in personnel meaning that Danny Batth Hoofs will still be a launch pad for attack and therefore requiring of a big lump up front to flick it on for Mason or Dangerous Dave . Lets face it our current midfield is not the most skilful or adept and creating chances if our seasons stats at home are to be believed.

Well at least we will be playing to our strengths rather than shoe horning people into positions they neither like or are competent to play in. I spent a number of years working at Cambridge Utd matches in the late 80@s and early 90's under Chris Turner and John Beck. The quality of football was not high technically but playing pretty close to 4-2-4 at home, full backs lump the ball to wingers they cross for Dublin/ Taylor/ Claridge to score was the simple rule and it worked with those personnel. They reached the play offs and lost in the semis to Leicester. Granted it went down hill from there mainly because the likes of Dublin, Philpott , Rowett Kimble and Taylor were sold and not effectively replaced ( familiar story). The point of this post is that if KJ is to stay ( and its likely) and if the ownership issue is not sorted soon( and that too is likely to take some time) then we will not see many changes in personnel meaning that Danny Batth Hoofs will still be a launch pad for attack and therefore requiring of a big lump up front to flick it on for Mason or Dangerous Dave . Lets face it our current midfield is not the most skilful or adept and creating chances if our seasons stats at home are to be believed.

Only this isn't true and it is the manager's tactics that are preventing this from happening. McDonald, Wallace and Henry are very creative players, what they lack is out and out pace which is what you need for the appaling tactics you suggest otherwise everybody is behind the play. And as those tactics are the easiest in the world to combat (particularly in the championship) I would suggest if Jackett does stick with that he will be fired by the end of September with us amounting about 3 points in 0-0 draws. You would also see crowds dwindle away even further if they have to watch true hoofball every week and Moxey would be very quick on the trigger if that happened.

I refer the poster to my earlier post on attacking football and our resources.

Iorfa and Hause linked to Palace by the E&S. I expect them both to leave this summer, we have no motivation to keep them and we're going nowhere, why would they stay?

No doubt they would have had a few whispers in their ears during the Toulon title a week ago. I do expect them to leave as well.

If we do sell, then I hope we do the opposite of the Afobe deal and let people start a bidding war. If we settle on the first "oooh that looks nice bid" then all at board level can fook right off

If it's the only way to generate some transfer funds them so be it, Hause would be first as Batth and Williamson would be a reasonable top half Championship pairing. I'd be reluctant to sell Iorfa, but as said above what incentive is there for him to stay? For the sake of argument let's say we get £12m for the pair, then I'd expect £4-5m to be made available. The trouble is I don't trust Thelwell / Jackett to spend it well.

Iorfa and Hause linked to Palace by the E&S. I expect them both to leave this summer, we have no motivation to keep them and we're going nowhere, why would they stay?

Been tagged in this from a palace site on fb by a couple of mates asking about them. Iorfa I could see playing next year but more unsure on Hause. Realistically what would you want for the pair? With the new prem money I'd be after £6 million for Iorfa and £3 million for Hause based purely on their England pedigree. Remember when we tried to get Clyne from Palace when the league roles were reversed and he stayed at Palace...probably won't happen here!

If it's the only way to generate some transfer funds them so be it, Hause would be first as Batth and Williamson would be a reasonable top half Championship pairing. I'd be reluctant to sell Iorfa, but as said above what incentive is there for him to stay? For the sake of argument let's say we get £12m for the pair, then I'd expect £4-5m to be made available. The trouble is I don't trust Thelwell / Jackett to spend it well.

What? You don't have confidence in the duo that snapped up Joe Mason for a bargain £3m? Are you mad?

Been tagged in this from a palace site on fb by a couple of mates asking about them. Iorfa I could see playing next year but more unsure on Hause. Realistically what would you want for the pair? With the new prem money I'd be after £6 million for Iorfa and £3 million for Hause based purely on their England pedigree. Remember when we tried to get Clyne from Palace when the league roles were reversed and he stayed at Palace...probably won't happen here!

Nowhere near enough if you ask me. Mings went for £8 million on the back of one good season and hadn't played for England at any level so Iorfa by that reckoning is at least £10 million and for Hause a centre back of potential who is a England Under 21 regular you want at least £5 million.

Iorfa is up there as one of the best young defenders in the country. Anything less than £10m in the current climate is robbery.

Hause would get annihilated in the Premier League if he moved now. He needs a good, full season at this level first.

Iorfa is up there as one of the best young defenders in the country. Anything less than £10m in the current climate is robbery.

Hause would get annihilated in the Premier League if he moved now. He needs a good, full season at this level first.

Totally agree Bournemouth bought mines from Ipswich a year ago for £8-9m and he was not in U21s

With new far bigger Sky deal £20m for the pair absolute minimum & a sell on clause

Nowhere near enough if you ask me. Mings went for £8 million on the back of one good season and hadn't played for England at any level so Iorfa by that reckoning is at least £10 million and for Hause a centre back of potential who is a England Under 21 regular you want at least £5 million.
Yep. £15m minimum for the pair.

Agree with Nando, anything less Tha £10M for Dom is an absolute bargain for a Prem team. Especially with the money they have now.

If we sell Iorfa I like to think we'd hold on to Hause. Develop him for another full season and if he pushes on like he should we're talking £10M+ for him next summer.

Should keep us ticking over until Moxey stumbles upon a new owner.

Back