• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

From Tim mk2:

Wolves believed to be on the verge of signing French forward Nathaël Julan (aged 19, 6ft 4in) from Le Harve. Either free or nominal fee.

Yay, another big Centre Forward.

Top scorer for their B team and player of the season at their reserve level. I hope it's a good signing and at that size he is different to Ennis, WIlson and Bright. I hope he treads the same sort of path as Iorfa, Hause and Graham who were all bought in around this age from other clubs.

Would be nice for him to get game time too although he will probably be sent out on loan to a Lg2 club to get much needed experience before we see him in the first XI.

What it does look like to me is that our much lauded Academy has produced 2 players in the last 5 years and that's not good enough.

Hmmm Le Havre did bring through some decent players. Wasn't Kante there?

Might be a tip from Pollet - wasn't he a coach there?

I'd still like to see Bright, Ennis and Wilson get a chance next season.

Might be a tip from Pollet - wasn't he a coach there?

I'd still like to see Bright, Ennis and Wilson get a chance next season.

I could see all 3 getting some chances as I don't think we'll invest in a striker. Are any of the true #9's? I thought they were all forwards that either play off a central striker or off the shoulder of the last man. Not the physical presence that Jackett (and the modern game to a certain extent) requires.

We signed Ludo from Le Havre, think he was coaching elsewhere.

I could see all 3 getting some chances as I don't think we'll invest in a striker. Are any of the true #9's? I thought they were all forwards that either play off a central striker or off the shoulder of the last man. Not the physical presence that Jackett (and the modern game to a certain extent) requires.
True. I'd really like to see Bright given a good run at number 10, a 3 of him, Wallace and, eventually, Graham behind Dicko could be really good at this level.

Won't happen though, Kenny will spout some shit about experience and strength and we'll sign some Kevin Kyle type lump and play him.

True. I'd really like to see Bright given a good run at number 10, a 3 of him, Wallace and, eventually, Graham behind Dicko could be really good at this level.

Won't happen though, Kenny will spout some $#@! about experience and strength and we'll sign some Kevin Kyle type lump and play him.

Ultimately this is what frustrates me about Jackett more than anything else. Potentially Wolves have an outstanding midfield 5 with pace guile and invention (Price, McD, Wallace, Graham, Randall and the other youngsters) with Dicko up top ready to smash defenders around with his strength and pace but Jackett decides he needs to have cloggers in the midfield and hammering the ball long for nobody to chase or win aerially against the bog standard championship centre half.

If Jackett went back to playing the kind of football he did when he had Sako and Dicko teams would fear coming to Molineux again and we'd be tearing teams apart. As far as I can see we need 2, maybe 3 players (left wing on loan, striker either on loan or to make sure Dicko isn't broken too soon) and I think we would have a decent crack at it.

@tim_spiers_Star 3m3 minutes ago
Reports in Belgium that Wolves are interested in Anderlecht striker and Guinea international Idrissa Sylla.

Linked with him before

Reports in Belgium that Wolves are interested in Anderlecht striker and Guinea international Idrissa Sylla.

Shame Eric Black doesn't play anymore - could have had Sylla Black upfront.

6'2" tall, experienced forward, decent enough goal scoring record...

Idrissa Sylla is a Guinean international football player who plays for Anderlecht in Belgian Pro League.[2] He is also referred to as Waddle due to a similar style of play to Chris Waddle. As a child Idrissa had posters of David Hirst on his wall and named his dog 'John' in honour of his favourite player John Sheridan.

I like him, he thinks big

Ultimately this is what frustrates me about Jackett more than anything else. Potentially Wolves have an outstanding midfield 5 with pace guile and invention (Price, McD, Wallace, Graham, Randall and the other youngsters) with Dicko up top ready to smash defenders around with his strength and pace but Jackett decides he needs to have cloggers in the midfield and hammering the ball long for nobody to chase or win aerially against the bog standard championship centre half.

If Jackett went back to playing the kind of football he did when he had Sako and Dicko teams would fear coming to Molineux again and we'd be tearing teams apart. As far as I can see we need 2, maybe 3 players (left wing on loan, striker either on loan or to make sure Dicko isn't broken too soon) and I think we would have a decent crack at it.

Yep. This post has many similarities to Deutch's post re McAlinden, & how KJ instead of developing McAlinden, chose instead to purchase Leon Clarke :facepalm:

Anyone see a pattern here?

I think I've said before, he's pretty good at developing defenders - tends to use them sensibly, give them a proper chance and know when they need taking out of the firing line, even changes the team around to protect them at times (not so much a young player but he signed Helan partly because Doherty was getting torn apart every week at LB, and he started playing largely ok after that).

Attacking players, not so much.

With Jackett still in charge there's a good chance that the likes of Bright, Wilson and Ronan will end up not getting a chance and make us regret it in a couple of years. Best chance is doing brilliantly on loan and injuries forcing his hand as was the case with Graham

I was disappointed Ronan didn't get at least some minutes off the bench near the end of the season. Would have been reward for his excellent season.

Reid appears to be ahead of Wilson in the pecking order for now but I don't see him making a career anywhere near this level whereas Wilson has more of a chance due to his raw pace.

Back