• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Apparently we've been linked with Mirco Antenucci who's leaving Leeds when his contract expires.

I'd be okay with Mirco tbh. He's bang average but a lot better than what we could end up with.

Dons released Cody Cropper. I'd take a shot at him as backup for Ikeme if we do indeed intend to have him in a starting role next season.

Not quite as rubbish.
Seriously, Cropper is barely any better than McCarey. We may as well have kept him if we end up with Cropper.

So, been thinking about what KJ does and says, how we seem to be operating as a club, and come to the fearful conclusion that Victor Anichebe will be lining up in the hideous Money shop tarnished orange! Not saying I have seen this anywhere, was more a game me and a mate were playing about who our club might get. Big powerful injury prone forward with a fairly abhorrent goal scoring record...

I think one of the biggest issues with Ikeme last season - because we know he *can* be capable at this level - was that he had essentially zero meaningful competition from November onwards. Martinez was injured and then we decided that we weren't going to sign him (too expensive post-Morgan putting the club up for sale I bet) so unless Ikeme got injured we weren't going to pick him, what would be the point when we weren't going anywhere and there was no chance of him being here after May. This meant it didn't matter how many crap goals he gave away - and there were plenty - because there wasn't any consequence to it, it seems to have got to him to the point that he's deluding himself now that he had a good season.

If you go and sign someone of Cropper's standard, someone you're never going to pick unless you have to, it's the same situation. Hurts the team as well because in practically every other position you can take someone out for a while if they're playing so poorly as to be detrimental to the team, which is what Ikeme was at points last season.

As I said a few weeks ago, I'm happy to write last season off, accept that he's had two good seasons before that and give Ikeme another go as number one - but there must be someone behind him actively pushing him for his place and who we can bring in if we have another repeat of that shambles. It'd be a serious mistake just to bring in a token number two who's happy sitting on the bench and who we're happy to have to do no more than that. That's no way to run a squad, not in our circumstances where we cannot (literally cannot) afford deadwood, everyone who is here should be contributing. It'd also be extremely risky given Ikeme's injury record, he missed at least one full month in all of 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15. Imagine him breaking his foot or something in September and us having a barely L2 standard keeper as our only replacement outwith kids, it'd have the potential to wreck your season in an instant.

So, been thinking about what KJ does and says, how we seem to be operating as a club, and come to the fearful conclusion that Victor Anichebe will be lining up in the hideous Money shop tarnished orange! Not saying I have seen this anywhere, was more a game me and a mate were playing about who our club might get. Big powerful injury prone forward with a fairly abhorrent goal scoring record...

Anichebe would be more than good enough for the Championship, he isn't a bad player (not prolific I grant you but he is a decent physical option). He's just made of glass, he's pretty much never put together a run of games. I don't think we'd be willing to take someone on who would still be asking decent money that we couldn't rely on, not when we're still anxiously hoping that Dicko comes back the same as he was.

Anichebe would be fantastic at this level - for the 10 games a season or so he'd be fit.

I've always thought Anichebe plays better than his goals record suggests.

Anichebe is a fine player..almost just get subs apps though so could explain some of his goalscoring record(and usually last 15-20 mins)

The FP minutes quote Jez talking about a 6 ft 2 striker.

"Hello Chris, it's Kevin. I know you've turned us down at least twice before, but have you changed your mind?"

Maybe I just ain't as keen on V.A as some others then, during the Moyes era of Everton me and a mate used to have a running gag about someone having an anchibee level of performance, no goals, no assists and every ball played into you coming off with the grace of a spanner being dropped over a scaffold and hit the top bar.

Maybe I just ain't as keen on V.A as some others then, during the Moyes era of Everton me and a mate used to have a running gag about someone having an anchibee level of performance, no goals, no assists and every ball played into you coming off with the grace of a spanner being dropped over a scaffold and hit the top bar.

AKA "having a Coady" ...

Even if you like Anichebe's game other than his ability to score, as a striker you still have to have a certain goalscoring pedigree.

24 goals in 186 games is absolutely shocking.

He'd still try and command some kind of fee that would probably be above our current pay grade, so for me it'll go no further then a few Twitter rumours.

Damn, my Cropper suggestion wound you guys up very quickly. I just want an American back in Wolves. <3

Back