• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

The problem with our goalkeeping situation is what happens if Ikeme gets injured. Also he is now first choice for Nigeria, so he will be away with them, as he is currently.

Under the new rules we can't loan a goalie, except under the transitional arrangements, where

"Clubs are permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven-day ‘emergency loan’ basis if they do not have a senior goalkeeper that has made five first-team apps"

fat lot of use that is.

The problem with our goalkeeping situation is what happens if Ikeme gets injured. Also he is now first choice for Nigeria, so he will be away with them, as he is currently.

Under the new rules we can't loan a goalie, except under the transitional arrangements, where

"Clubs are permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven-day ‘emergency loan’ basis if they do not have a senior goalkeeper that has made five first-team apps"

fat lot of use that is.

Lonergan plays and one of Flatt or Ruddy goes on the bench. Hardly a disaster of epic proportions if that happens.

Yeah, we had McCarey on the bench for about three months last season when Emi was injured. Exact same situation, if Ikeme had also broken then we'd probably have ended up playing him. It's something we need to sort out in the long term but Carl has the shirt now for the next four months, up to him to prove he's up to it. If he can't then he'll get replaced in pretty short order.

Nope, he's a lower half Championship keeper at best, has been his entire career.

Nope, he's a lower half Championship keeper at best, has been his entire career.

Yep. Hence his signing at the time. Our ambitions were basically "stay up until we are sold"

Not many teams have a great replacement as a back up keeper

The impression I get is that, certainly outside the PL, the majority of goals result from defensive errors rather than precision passing, wonder strikes or goalkeeping blunders. Yes, Carl will probably cost the team a few, but that applies to pretty much any keeper at any level. If we can get the outfield right, the GA column should more or less take care of itself.

Lonergan plays and one of Flatt or Ruddy goes on the bench. Hardly a disaster of epic proportions if that happens.

Not said it is Langers, but thought the situation was worth mentioning as 'emergency loans' outside the transfer windows are now banned.

I hope nothing happens to Ikeme, but if it does then we will have to rely on Lonergan whom the consensus seem to think isn't good enough.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, if we had an outstanding keeper ala Mccarthy or that Southend bloke, they would save us (pardon the pun) a lot of points.

Not said it is Langers, but thought the situation was worth mentioning as 'emergency loans' outside the transfer windows are now banned.

I hope nothing happens to Ikeme, but if it does then we will have to rely on Lonergan whom the consensus seem to think isn't good enough.

Short term he will be ok. I didn't rate Boro's keeper at all last season...and they went up

I have a feeling Ruddy may make the step up quickly and challenge Lonergan

However, on the other end of the spectrum, if we had an outstanding keeper ala Mccarthy or that Southend bloke, they would save us (pardon the pun) a lot of points.
In an ideal world yeah. But we had six weeks to sort everything out, Carl has performed OK at this level previously so I can see why they've left it alone for now. It'll be under review permanently, like every position is now. No players can afford to get complacent as we'll just buy someone else if they slip up often enough.

In an ideal world yeah. But we had six weeks to sort everything out, Carl has performed OK at this level previously so I can see why they've left it alone for now. It'll be under review permanently, like every position is now. No players can afford to get complacent as we'll just buy someone else if they slip up often enough.

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining, our transfer window was fantastic and if this becomes an issue (Ikeme not performing) it will be addressed pronto. Either way, I'm sure in the summer we will bring in a new keeper whether or not we go up.

Hopefully our improved quality further up the field will reduce the pressure the keeper, but as Deutsch says if there are too many ricketts then they will find themselves replaced in Jan

You never know having a former world class keeper as manager may be exactly what Ikeme needs. He is just coming to his prime in keeper terms. Kasper Schmeical took time to mature but is now a solid premier keeper. Whatever Walter must be satisfied as there was no keeper news or rumour.

Ikeme's best form was behind Stearman and Batth. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Keeper would have been bottom of the list to sort out anyway.

Not on last years form. Ikeme was at fasult for at least half a dozen goals. Still he has been pretty solid so far this and maybe with Batth and Stearman they are the right central trio. Saiss to protect as insurance.

I am more than happy with our transfer dealings however I would expect us to try and sign a decent keeper in January. Ikeme has been "ok" so far but he has barely had anything to do. I really hope his form picks up but I cant see it happening.

Emi would be a lovely signing now we have some dosh!

Yes, Emi in please in january

L'Equipe reckon Cavaleiro cost us just shy of £13M.

Back