• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

and the transfer dealings done Scrap Book Stylee

CrRJpnkWYAQteH9.jpg:large

I wonder who the keeper would have been if Fosun had arrived in May....

I'd have loved us to sign Dan Bentley or Alex McCarthy.

Thinking about it we could've dodged a bullet on that one. We might've ended up with some flappy Portuguese youngster who cost us games before he figured out how to play in this country. Remember what De Gea was like when he first moved to United...

Or maybe we just would've resigned Martinez (which I would still like to happen at some point!).

To be fair Carl's had virtually nothing to do in any of the games so far. He's claimed crosses OK and been a lot sharper with his distribution but he's hardly made any saves. We could have played Lonners so far and it would have made no difference (NB I do not advocate this as a proper option).

Let us try and avoid going down the Brazil 1970 route of an amazing side from back to front and then poor Felix in goal who was shocking.

Fully expect goalkeeper to be completely addressed by FOSUN over the winter or next summer window.

We need a keeper whatever happens as Lonergan is no kind of proper competition and Flatt/Burgoyne/Ruddy aren't ready.

I think Ikeme's absolute limit is to be a fairly weak link in a top six team at this level but we'll see. For now I've given him and Batth a clean slate from last season (under the normal run of things neither could have complained if they'd been binned) and they've done OK so far. Thin ice for the pair of them though, any return to the horror shows of 2015/16 (Carl in particular) and it's time up.

Yeah, would have liked a better goalie in as I have said but excellent window for us

I hadn't actually realised that Ikeme is 30 now - in my head he was more like 27. Realistically he's as good as he's ever going to be.

I hadn't actually realised that Ikeme is 30 now - in my head he was more like 27. Realistically he's as good as he's ever going to be.
He was on our bench in 03/04!

He was on our bench in 03/04!

2004 → Accrington Stanley (loan)
2005–2006 → Stockport County (loan)
2009 → Charlton Athletic (loan)
2009 → Sheffield United (loan)
2010 → Queens Park Rangers (loan)
2010 → Leicester City (loan)
2011 → Middlesbrough (loan)
2011 → Doncaster Rovers (loan)
2012 → Doncaster Rovers (loan)

and no one wanted to take him on a permanent basis.

He wasn't really for sale tbf.

Boro definitely wanted to keep him, he was class for them.

Are people really fretting about Martin???

Yeah probably a bit OTT, wasn't around earlier, got a lot on my plate at the moment and not in a very good place to be honest.

In answer to Langers comment earlier, .... ha ha No, nobody shat in my cypro! but yesterday was a particularly bad day, especially after letting the dogs outside for the first time(12 of them) and it taking me two days to work out how the little fuckers were escaping from my newly fenced in back garden.

As for Wolves, I think what has happened is truly brilliant, but i still have some reservations at this stage.

Firstly i will never be comfortable with the Mendes involvement, it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever i hear his name mentioned.

From the new players point of view, Jeez, thirteen of them, possibly ten i have never heard of before, and the phrase "scattergun approach" comes to mind. So many wingers, and so few defenders, including Stears who if he didn't cut it a Fulham in this league, what will he do being back here?

I worry, a little, that while Walter wants a continually rotating squad, we are still seeing too many of last year's failures playing every week.
The new boys are coming in but not on a consistant basis, and the fear is that they will take too long to settle into the pace of the championship, or may not do at all, especially in the case of Silvio, who we signed injured.

To sum it up, I'm shocked by the last few weeks in a giggly nervous kind of way, it's hard to believe such good fortune has come to Wolves in this way, and pretty damned exciting.
I am looking forward to this season for sure, but i may have my fingers crossed behind my back until around christmas time.

I really don't understand this apprehension for two reasons:

1) as Fosun have an interest in his agency it would be foolish on his part to stiff Wolves for two reasons, first it would strain relations and secondly with football in China really kicking off Fosun could provide Mendes with excellent links to the money men in Chinese football a reasonably untapped market.

2) there were parallels with our squad and that inherited by Mick. Threadbare and a new manager who'd missed most if not all of pre season. McCarthy had to cobble a squad together with the likes of Jamal Johnson and Craig Davies. Admittedly we've far more wage muscle now but Mendes has helped facilitate the signings of some wonderful young prospects from Europe.

Yes he's hated at Valencia but this scenario is entirely different and for me and y'know we could give the guy enough rope to hang himself rather than have a new boogeyman no sooner than Jez has left,

Plus, every time Mendes earns an agency fee, FOSUN are getting 20 per cent of it. Feel the love for Jorge.

Fosun isn't an acronym! It's just Fosun, not FOSUN.

Back