• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Are people really fretting about Martin???

We could sign 20 world class players and some would want 25. We've been "two players short" since about 1991, normally because we haven't "pushed the boat out".

Fans like expensive shiny new things, doesn't matter if we actually have any use for them. As it is, providing Dicko comes back properly he is for my money a better player than Martin and more suited to how we play. Maybe we should have sold him to someone for £7m and immediately bought him back for £12m.

We could sign 20 world class players and some would want 25. We've been "two players short" since about 1991, normally because we haven't "pushed the boat out".

Fans like expensive shiny new things, doesn't matter if we actually have any use for them. As it is, providing Dicko comes back properly he is for my money a better player than Martin and more suited to how we play. Maybe we should have sold him to someone for £7m and immediately bought him back for £12m.
Nail on head.

Dicko returning is the proverbial "like a new signing".

The squad is big enough as it sits, but with Dicko, Zyro & Graham returning at some point, it will be looking even better.

Considering we only play one out and out striker, Bodvarsson, Dicko, Mason and Gladon is more than enough cover for the position (even if Mason is also being used in a wider role)

If we had signed Martin one of those would be seeing very limited game time, so it was never that likely imo.

No, I mean I can't see anything negative said about our transfer window anywhere (apart from Deutsch hating on Stears :icon_lol:). They're even skipping around like new born lambs over on the mix. A few 'Martin would've been the icing on the cake' type comments but certainly not 'fretting'.

No, I mean I can't see anything negative said about our transfer window anywhere (apart from Deutsch hating on Stears :icon_lol:). They're even skipping around like new born lambs over on the mix. A few 'Martin would've been the icing on the cake' type comments but certainly not 'fretting'.

I ain't crazy about Ola John either... (not that I think he's going to play very often, I think this is a classic 'Mendes' deal whereby we've had to take him on board to get access to others - which isn't ideal but that's the world we're in now).

The icing on the cake for me would have been letting Edwards go on a free to Shrewsbury so I never have to watch him again. I'm on board the Zengabus for now but if he keeps inexplicably picking him - as he has so far, we had better options available through August let alone now - then he'll severely test my patience.

Let's see how much people love Stears' raw passion when it's made apparent that he still can't judge a high ball or mark properly.

I ain't crazy about Ola John either... (not that I think he's going to play very often, I think this is a classic 'Mendes' deal whereby we've had to take him on board to get access to others - which isn't ideal but that's the world we're in now).

The icing on the cake for me would have been letting Edwards go on a free to Shrewsbury so I never have to watch him again. I'm on board the Zengabus for now but if he keeps inexplicably picking him - as he has so far, we had better options available through August let alone now - then he'll severely test my patience.

Let's see how much people love Stears' raw passion when it's made apparent that he still can't judge a high ball or mark properly.

Just the thought of Ola John at least attempting to take players on and then cutting in with a long range shot fills me with more happiness
than bloody Saville stopping, checking back and then stopping again and then finally playing a 10 yard ball to Doherty.

Just the thought of Ola John at least attempting to take players on and then cutting in with a long range shot fills me with more happiness
than bloody Saville stopping, checking back and then stopping again and then finally playing a 10 yard ball to Doherty.

George Saville has a lot of talent, what he hasn't always had, is application to match it. Had that not been the case, we probably wouldn't get a sniff of him. That's the opinion of someone who played with him, not my own.

Agree with this, but I think we are "two players short" of a league-winning squad. I would have liked to have seen a quality keeper and a quality CB added to the squad.

I agreed with Paddy earlier on about the reason for bringing back Stearman into the squad, was because we couldn't persuade a quality CB to drop down to the Championship, and I hope that applies to a quality keeper too, although we had Martinez here recently.

As you say, Dicko will be massive in this squad if we can get him back firing as we know he can. However, he's been out a long time and we don't know yet how that's affected him.

The same applies to Graham, who is obviously well regarded on here, and Zyro. Luckily, they can take their time to recover properly with the squad we now have available.

This Summer window will go down in Wolves history.

George Saville has a lot of talent, what he hasn't always had, is application to match it. Had that not been the case, we probably wouldn't get a sniff of him. That's the opinion of someone who played with him, not my own.

You're right he has talent, but his decision making is not sharp enough IMO, whenever I've seen him play. Also, he seems to lack the ability to inject pace into the game, leading to him slowing everything down and thus playing people out of position.

I reckon if you went back in time to the day Fosun took over, and asked our fanbase how many signings we needed, you wouldn't have even found the most pessimistic drongo of a supporter demanding 12 signings. People seemed more than satisfied with Jeff's declaration that we'd be getting 'between 5 and 8', which TBH is the sort of number I was expecting.

So anyone moaning we need '1 or 2 more' are simply impossible to please, and are no doubt just attention seekers because I refuse to believe for a single second that they wanted 15 new signings by the end of August when Fosun first took over!

Langers going full bitch.....

He did say "two players short" of a league-winning squad, which is slightly different. But yeah, Dino - accept your bitch attack with good grace.

giphy.gif

I reckon Saiss is going to become our most important signing, if we're setting up as we have been with one of the three central midfielders playing in front of the back four and we're also going to be playing five attacking players ahead, then we're going to need him to be as good as he sounds. I don't overly trust anyone else we have to play that role. Prince is an attacking midfielder, Evans/Price are ok there when there's two sitting deep but not on their own, Coady doesn't have the discipline to play there, if I ever see Edwards playing there again I cannot be held responsible for my actions.

Indeed - let's hope the scouting reports and the positive reviews I've read about him turn out to be accurate.

In answer to Langers comment earlier, .... ha ha No, nobody shat in my cypro! but yesterday was a particularly bad day, especially after letting the dogs outside for the first time(12 of them) and it taking me two days to work out how the little fuckers were escaping from my newly fenced in back garden.

As for Wolves, I think what has happened is truly brilliant, but i still have some reservations at this stage.

Firstly i will never be comfortable with the Mendes involvement, it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever i hear his name mentioned.

From the new players point of view, Jeez, thirteen of them, possibly ten i have never heard of before, and the phrase "scattergun approach" comes to mind. So many wingers, and so few defenders, including Stears who if he didn't cut it a Fulham in this league, what will he do being back here?

I worry, a little, that while Walter wants a continually rotating squad, we are still seeing too many of last year's failures playing every week.
The new boys are coming in but not on a consistant basis, and the fear is that they will take too long to settle into the pace of the championship, or may not do at all, especially in the case of Silvio, who we signed injured.

To sum it up, I'm shocked by the last few weeks in a giggly nervous kind of way, it's hard to believe such good fortune has come to Wolves in this way, and pretty damned exciting.
I am looking forward to this season for sure, but i may have my fingers crossed behind my back until around christmas time.

I think Zenga has been using the early matches to see what the old guard can (and can't) do and assess what he needs whilst allowing the new guys to settle in and get match fit rather than throw them in too quickly and risk niggly injuries.

I hope and expect to see more of the new guys being chucked in once the international break is over

Back