• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Well I am absolutely elated with the first month of Fosun and Zenga's promising start. They have shown intent and have made the signings most of which will be first team regulars this season I am sure. The old guard got august to prove themselves -some did some didnt. But we have a depth in our squad now and competition for pretty much every spot. If I am being really really greedy I would have liked a keeper but you have to trust Zenga if he is happy with his options.
The moaning and whining from some areas is nothing short of pathetic. The approach the club have taken is to get quality in on loan while bolstering with permanent quality at sensible money. The squad looks the strongest it has looked for many a year in depth. Even in the premier league you would question the depth of squad. It should be up there or thereabouts come Xmas and then we can start the fun again. 35 points or more by Xmas will be a strong indicator of where we are and if we have that I fully expect a second half challenge for the top. Heady times.

I don't mind us getting Stearman back on loan. Makes sense as a stop-gap if we couldn't get anyone else in the month Fosun have been in charge.

I'll be furious if he's here as a replacement for a West Ham-bound Iorfa, though.

Agent Dave reckons we're after Mancienne.

Agent Keith reckons Rhodes has two loan offers from us and Villa

And someone else saying Sheff Utd are hijacking Wigans bid for Byrne.

Rumours on twitter in last 10 mins:

We've bid £12m for Gestede
We're going to re-sign Sako
Close to signing Asamoah Gyan
Gestede ain't worth £12m, and isn't anywhere near as good as Bod or Dicko.
Sako, maybe, but if Palace sell all their wide players they may want him.
Gyan can fuck off. Useless mercenary who is 2 months away from being ready to play.

If Iorfa goes I will be very disappointed that boy has lots of potential and should fulfill that here. I was worried last year that the lack of ambition might mean we lose some of our better young players, that fear is gone and there should be no good reason to let him go.

The only way Iorfa leaves is if he's pushing for it and sulking. He has been out of sorts this season, but I'd still be amazed if this is the case. Even the site reporting this marks the rumour as a C+

The Hammers want Micah Richards in on loan apparently so very little chance of Iorfa leaving I suspect.

If Iorfa goes I will be very disappointed that boy has lots of potential and should fulfill that here. I was worried last year that the lack of ambition might mean we lose some of our better young players, that fear is gone and there should be no good reason to let him go.

There's one reason he might leave, which I've had in the back of my mind since the takeover but haven't assumed was the case because there wasn't any evidence for it yet.

Basically, Jeff Shi/Fosun have said repeatedly that the quality of the club's academy was a big reason why they bought Wolves instead of another club. That's probably because they like the idea of generating value from developing new players internally, reducing the amount of cash they have to inject as they grow Wolves as a brand. But of course they could be thinking in terms of Chelsea's model - absolutely churn out players from the academy, but pretty much always sell them once they're 21/22 because they're typically, at best, upper Championship/lower PL quality. You can spend as much as you like on your youth teams and infrastructure without it counting towards FFP caps in Europe, and then use those profits to offset your transfer and wage costs on mature first team players.

Fosun may well be willing to spend huge amounts of money where necessary, but they're an investment company with a canny track record of buying low and selling high. I'm probably just pulling this out of my ass, but if these Iorfa rumours have anything to them then there might be something to it.

Maybe Iorfa goes out on loan?

With Stearman back, and assuming he is NOT here to be a squad player but a starter to reignite his partnership with Danny B, that would be one less place in a very competitive back four...

With Stearman back, and assuming he is NOT here to be a squad player but a starter to reignite his partnership with Danny B, that would be one less place in a very competitive back four...

There would be zero benefit to Iorfa going on loan - to the player or the club. Can't see him leaving either way and would hope that Zenga sees him as a better option at RB than Doherty or Coady.

Why on earth would we loan out Iorfa?!

Can't see it, we have EEL, Hause, Stearman, Batth and Iorfa. It's debatable whether EEL and Hause are good enough, and even as recently as last season Batth was getting criticism, to offload another CB would be folly, especially when we can't sign any one on loan ourselves?

(I'm totally discounting Williamson for obvious reasons)

There would be zero benefit to Iorfa going on loan - to the player or the club. Can't see him leaving either way and would hope that Zenga sees him as a better option at RB than Doherty or Coady.

I would think Silvio is better than all of them given his pedigree.

In other news TimII still expects Cavaliero to sign on a permanent.

Afobe had his head turned by prem interest last year. If the same happens with Iorfa then let him go. Afobe was half the player after that and disappeared in Jan. If Iorfa wants to go then sell him. These days its a business !

There is enough depth in this squad to challenge even without him. He is a good prospect but still learning.

There's one reason he might leave, which I've had in the back of my mind since the takeover but haven't assumed was the case because there wasn't any evidence for it yet.

Basically, Jeff Shi/Fosun have said repeatedly that the quality of the club's academy was a big reason why they bought Wolves instead of another club. That's probably because they like the idea of generating value from developing new players internally, reducing the amount of cash they have to inject as they grow Wolves as a brand. But of course they could be thinking in terms of Chelsea's model - absolutely churn out players from the academy, but pretty much always sell them once they're 21/22 because they're typically, at best, upper Championship/lower PL quality. You can spend as much as you like on your youth teams and infrastructure without it counting towards FFP caps in Europe, and then use those profits to offset your transfer and wage costs on mature first team players.

Fosun may well be willing to spend huge amounts of money where necessary, but they're an investment company with a canny track record of buying low and selling high. I'm probably just pulling this out of my ass, but if these Iorfa rumours have anything to them then there might be something to it.
If he is to go then perhaps that is the only explanation. From a team perspective it would weaken us greatly and bearing in mind we are anticipating a promotion push Iorfa would be a valuable asset.

I see the point I just hope you are wrong.

Iorfa isn't a product of Fosun's youth setup though is he? He's a valuable first team asset they inherited, where he came from is completely irrelevant.

Henry being linked with a move away. Charlton & Bolton want him

Back