• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

According to the Beeb.................

Manchester United full-back Cameron Borthwick-Jackson has joined Wolverhampton Wanderers, according to The National.

The 19-year-old found first-team opportunities under Louis Van Gaal but with Luke Shaw tying down the left-back spot, Borthwick-Jackson will look to get regular matches in the Championship

Really happy with CBJ and we'll see how Ola gets on.

We've got some real depth in the wide areas now. Wouldn't surprise me to see James Henry moved on soon.

Really happy with CBJ and we'll see how Ola gets on.

We've got some real depth in the wide areas now. Wouldn't surprise me to see James Henry moved on soon.

I will be astonished if Byrne doesn't leave the club for a season-long loan to a League One/lower Championship team this week as well.

I will be astonished if Byrne doesn't leave the club for a season-long loan to a League One/lower Championship team this week as well.

Completely forgot he was still here.

Can't see Henry staying either now we've got John in. Both players won't get much of a look in.

Christ, what a time to be a Wolves fan. I'm even excited about the U23 match tonight.

I mentioned CBJ's name in the office and everyone took note so I'm judging I should be excited?

I do wonder which players will be leaving the club before the end of the window? I'd imagine the likes of Byrne, Henry, EEL etc will be so far down the pecking order than they'll get very very little game time. And the more players we bring in, the less likely the fringe players will get a look in.

I think we might see a lot of business both in and out before the window closes.

So, in Zenga's preferred 4-3-3 (midfield 3 pointing down, genuine wide forwards, full backs providing width).

Bold: out of favour/injured/youth
Italics: out of position

GK: Ikeme, Lonergan, Flatt

RB: Iorfa, Doherty, Silvio, Coady

CB: Batth, Iorfa, Hause, Williamson, Coady, Borthwick-Jackson, Ebanks-Landell, Deslandes

LB: Doherty, Borthwick-Jackson, Silvio, Deslandes, Hause

DM: Evans, Price, Oniangue, Coady

RCM/LCM: Evans, Price, Oniangue, Coady, Edwards, Teixeira, Saville

LW: Graham, John, Wallace, Mason, Dicko, Helder Costa, Teixeira, Enobakhare, Byrne, Henry, Saville

RW: John, Wallace, Mason, Dicko, Bodvarsson, Teixeira, Helder Costa, Byrne, Henry, Enobakhare

ST: Bodvarsson, Dicko, Mason, Enobakhare, Ennis

Starting to look like a top 6 squad. Getting back a few injured players as soon as possible would make a huge difference.

Still think we need another striker. That would take us up to Jeff's 8. Would ideally like to add Edwards & Coady to the 'out of favour' camp and bring in another attack minded CM (Birkir Bjarnason would be lovely ta) but I think that's being greedy. Hopefully we see movement in that area in Jan after Walt has fully settled in.

Yeah I think we need another striker as well.

Yeah I think we need another striker as well.

Forgive me for coming over all MolMix but I'd like us to spend a bit of money on this one and get it right. The loans have been great but someone like a Sebastien Haller/Chris Martin for £6M+ would really create a sense of excitement about the place and push the players already here on to better things.

I'm not too enthused about this Sylla guy though, we had agreed a £2.7M fee before the takeover and now it's £6M? Surely we can get better for that price.

I'm not too enthused about this Sylla guy though, we had agreed a £2.7M fee before the takeover and now it's £6M? Surely we can get better for that price.

I'd be bothered about that under Morgan where even when we were spending, we had to make as much of the outlay count as we possibly could and take a chance on a few bargains along the way. It's an irrelevance now. If that's who Walter wants then let him have him.

I do wonder which players will be leaving the club before the end of the window? I'd imagine the likes of Byrne, Henry, EEL etc will be so far down the pecking order than they'll get very very little game time. And the more players we bring in, the less likely the fringe players will get a look in.

I think we might see a lot of business both in and out before the window closes.

For defenders, we should be looking to let Ebanks-Landell go - he's comfortably the worst senior player on the books - but as to whether we need to replace him depends a lot on Williamson. If he's properly crocked, and doesn't have a clear date for returning to fitness, we should assume the worst and get in another senior CB, Luisao or similar, who can do what he did last season in his brief spell. (That said, we were in large part so useless at the back because the rest of the team was so useless, and if we play better our defenders won't *need* extra help, after all, this is exactly when a player like Hause should be nailing down a first-XI spot if he's actually as promising as he seems.) Otherwise, I think CBJ gives us the extra flexibility we needed along with a soon-to-be-fit-again Silvio.

RB: Iorfa, Silvio*, Doherty
CB: Batth, Hause, Iorfa, CBJ, Williamson*, Ebanks-Landell*
LB: CBJ, Silvio*, Doherty

Even if you take ELL away from that that's a decent amount of depth for this level provided Zenga isn't averse to rotation (and we know he isn't).

I think the only thing we still *need* is another striker who can play through the middle of that 4-3-3, because we only have Bodvarsson and Dicko who can at the moment and we need an extra option there. Anything else from this point is a bonus, I'm happy with the squad almost entirely now.

I'd be bothered about that under Morgan where even when we were spending, we had to make as much of the outlay count as we possibly could and take a chance on a few bargains along the way. It's an irrelevance now. If that's who Walter wants then let him have him.

Clearly a Thelwell buy though. It's a signing I would've been happy with pre-takeover (last of the Afobe money) but we should be aiming a little higher now surely.

Why? If he has the impact of Bod (also imo a Thelwell signing) then all could be well.

Back