• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Wolves are interested in signing highly-rated Real Madrid teenager Martin Odegaard on a season-long loan.
From Facebook.

From Facebook.
Wasn't he the amazing wonder kid every wanted to sign a couple of years ago? Seems to have stalled a bit, but could be a good signing.

Odegaard is a cracking player, bags of potential.

Wasn't he the amazing wonder kid every wanted to sign a couple of years ago? Seems to have stalled a bit, but could be a good signing.
He's still 17,5 years old ffs :D

With regards to the old players I think it's more a case of who would you want to keep. IMO it's Hause, Graham, Dicko and Iorfa the rest can go.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I like Price, intelligent footballer, comes across as a great guy, loves the club, but you look at the central midfield quality of the top 4-5 teams in the division and he isn't at that level. That's where we want to be competing as a bare minimum and he probably isn't ever going to be quite up to the mark. If we got someone better than him in then he can go. You can't have a massive sea change in how the club's ambitions are set and then throw sentimentality into the mix as well.

Sorry mate but I disagree with this.

I think Price is very under valued and has the vision that others in the squad don't have. He is always aware of what's happening around him and when he receives the ball he is able to use it immediately. The problem is the crud he's had to play with and he over-stretches himself trying to make up for others' mistakes.

Play him with quality and I am sure he will shine.

He needs to change/develop the mentality side of playing, technique is there but he just plays it safe.
He does seem very young to be on the loan market, wouldn't he be better of learning a bit more in the reserves, or going back home on loan for a season or 2?

There have been so many wonder kids who haven't made it by being pushed too young, would be a shame for it to happen to him.

He does seem very young to be on the loan market, wouldn't he be better of learning a bit more in the reserves, or going back home on loan for a season or 2?

There have been so many wonder kids who haven't made it by being pushed too young, would be a shame for it to happen to him.
Yeah, shouldn't have gone straight to the top club in the first place. The Norwegian league isn't good enough though and I don't think a top Premier League team will give him much playing time either, Wolves wouldn't be a bad choice in my opinion but I don't see it happening.

The Real Madrid reserves play on level 3, not much better than the Norwegian league really and they're basically playing the kids there.

I'm confusing myself, not sure what my opinion is anymore. :icon_mrgreen:

I wonder sometimes if the term wonder kid is a bit of a fallacy and I stead these players hit their peak at a younger age.

Price is still young - he can only benefit from playing with other players who can pass as well as him, too. Saville still looks rough but increasingly useful, and he does chip in with goals. No love for Edwards or Coady but also think we'll be lucky to get anyone to pay for them, and it's a make or break season for Evans. My gut feeling is he's always going to look a world beater in League One, but never really reach the same heights in this division.

It's not so much that I think we need to entirely get rid of most of the squad - lots of them are perfectly fine backup squad players for a top 6 team, like Henry, Batth, or Ikeme. Iorfa, Graham, Hause, Dicko - those are the players who we don't need to replace from the first XI.

The ones I see as absolutely not good enough are ones like Ebanks-Landell, Doherty, Byrne (he's had several chances now and looks a nothing player tbh). Lonergan's probably never going to play a game for us either. I imagine we might see a few loans out to League One followed by contracts ended by mutual consent for some of our lesser players.

Yeah, shouldn't have gone straight to the top club in the first place. The Norwegian league isn't good enough though and I don't think a top Premier League team will give him much playing time either, Wolves wouldn't be a bad choice in my opinion but I don't see it happening.

The Real Madrid reserves play on level 3, not much better than the Norwegian league really and they're basically playing the kids there.

I'm confusing myself, not sure what my opinion is anymore. :icon_mrgreen:
Ha, I'm confused too :)

Not sure the championship is a good place to learn in either, too many big cloggers in teams.

Perhaps the French league might be good for him?

Ha, I'm confused too :)

Not sure the championship is a good place to learn in either, too many big cloggers in teams.

Perhaps the French league might be good for him?
Yes French or Dutch perhaps, I think the championship is much improved over the last 10-15 years actually. Some proper football played compared to back in the day. You meet big cloggers in every league.

I know Edwards is a terrible football player but surely he would have some interest? He cannot have fooled numerous managers and played Internationally if he didn't have something.

I know Edwards is a terrible football player but surely he would have some interest? He cannot have fooled numerous managers and played Internationally if he didn't have something.

That's the paradox of Dave Edwards. Always seems to impress the managers he plays for, but never ever gets interest from other managers. Have we ever had a transfer enquiry, or even *rumour* about him? I can't think of one.

I thought yesterday some of our players would've gone out with some intent and shown the new manager why they're worth persevering with/look to attract new clubs with good performances. A good performance really was a win-win for them.

So then, with the performance they turned in during the first half in particular none of them can have any complaints at being dropped, excluded or sold. Some proved yesterday they are simply not good enough, more worryingly not up for the fight* and in the worst case, both. i think some will hang on until January until we can buy more but I fully expect and hope only Iorfa, Hause, Dicko, Graham and Ennis are considered long term.

*That said, we all know how the game pans out at 0-1 and 0-2 under Ken, maybe Walt being proactive will galvanise those lads and give them a bit of belief.

Yeni Ngbakoto from Metz in France linked by John Percy of the Mirror. Apparently a promising, quick right winger also linked with QPR and it seems definitely going somewhere.
Dunno if it's been mentioned on here but he's signed for QPR. Just said so on Sky - he's watching their game now.

Edwards got good workrate and scores some goals too..i bet he is sellable

Back