• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation run in 22/23 ** Now a Wolves free zone**

I imagine after several years of service we’d let him leave nominally (£5m or under) and he doesn’t strike me as the kind of player who is money motivated wage wise. Plenty of Championship teams would have him in a heartbeat.

I can see him going to Sheffield United
This seems the likely way. Already got a connection there having played for them before plus (judging by tonight anyway) they're playing 3atb

Think there's enough evidence out there now that you'd have to be actively ignoring it if you want to play him as part of a 2, unless it's some kind of McLeish-esque 2 banks of 4 within 10 yards of each other

Not a great season for Coads. Lost his place in two sides that ended up being in the relegation mix. Lost his place in the England squad. And all because he wanted to sit on the bench at a World Cup.

No idea where he goes next but there’s no way he stays here.

As a professional I’d have done anything to get on the plane to Qatar. Fair play to him for getting there on his limited skill set. When he looks back on his career being part of Euro 2020 and the World Cup 2022 squads will be at the top rather than worrying about a shit 4 months at Everton.

As a professional I’d have done anything to get on the plane to Qatar. Fair play to him for getting there on his limited skill set. When he looks back on his career being part of Euro 2020 and the World Cup 2022 squads will be at the top rather than worrying about a shit 4 months at Everton.
I don’t disagree, but I wonder what those decisions will mean in the long run for his playing career.

Imo we've needed to move on from Coady since Nuno's final season and the mainly failed attempt to play more possession based football. 3% of the UK population believe the Earth is flat, so there will always be people who will claim he can play in a 2, but most recognise that in the long term that's not a viable option.

If he'd stayed he may have come into the side towards the end of Lage dependant on how fractured the relationship was and I'm certain would have done under Davis which may just have saved his WC place, but he wasn't to know that.

Where he is now I don't think is any different to if he'd have stayed, sitting on a PL bench in all likelihood looking for a new club in the Summer.Loaning him without an obligation still looks foolish

Last edited:
He can play in a 2, that's not the issue, he just can't play in a high line.

Lage swapped Patrício for Sa so he could play a higher line but in his first season didn't buy any defenders capable of defending when they get turned by a ball over the back line. In his second season he jettisoned any defender he thought incapable of playing that way (completely gutting the squad leadership and lowering the average age of the squad as he did so) and his only signing was a 21 year old CB with less than half a season of top League football under his belt (and none of that in a high line).

Lopetegui has gone some way towards fixing the issue by bringing in Dawson, Toti & Bueno and has got more consistency out of Semedo, who are all capable of playing a higher line. Kilman remains a bit of a weak spot in that system as shown perfectly by the goal we conceded at Villa Park but has more experience than Collins and forms a left/right foot partnership with Dawson.

I'd expect us to go back and sign at least one more CB in the summer, preferably left sided with experience of playing in a high line. Coady I don't think will be considered if Everton don't sign him permanently, there will be loads of clubs who would be happy to have him and he won't be expensive.

Everton aren't playing a high line under Dyche and he got dropped after a series of mistakes. No doubt playing deeper protects his lack of pace, it doesn't cover his lack of instinct though, that split second in the head.

Everton aren't playing a high line under Dyche and he got dropped after a series of mistakes. No doubt playing deeper protects his lack of pace, it doesn't cover his lack of instinct though, that split second in the head.
He's out of form in a poor team, doesn't mean he's incapable of playing that way. He had a decent if not spectacular spell of form for them earlier in the season under Lampard playing 4 at the back.

He's out of form in a poor team, doesn't mean he's incapable of playing that way. He had a decent if not spectacular spell of form for them earlier in the season under Lampard playing 4 at the back.
He did and then Lampard changed their style as as their deep back 4 was, in his view, stopping them from creating. Changed to a higher line and then they just conceded more and didn't sort out the scoring part.

Coads was never going to survive once Dyche arrived as 2 of their CB's were his players. Amazed he stayed in as long as he did but the Liverpool game was the end of his Everton career.

Last edited:
Coady's decision to move to Everton hasn't cost him anything, but gained him a place on the plane to Qatar. He may be vaguely passable in a back four that operates a low block, but what got him into the England squad was his excellent performances as a star shaped block in a star shaped hole. What *kept* him in the England squad was his professionalism and character, coupled with the fact he was still playing in the Premier League and doing 'OK'. Now, England or not, he'd still be on the bench now, whether it be here or at Goodison, so I think he can look back and know he's done the right thing for his career and his family.

Obviously for 23/24, it's unlikely that either Wolves or Everton (or indeed England) will want him in their squad, but that doesn't mean he can't add value to low end Premier League 11/18. I can't imagine he'll have stupid wage demands, and I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if we let a few million prevent him from choosing from the 2/3 clubs that will want him as part of their squad.

Ignoring the debate on his ability or otherwise in this system or that, let's not forget that he is an absolutely diamond bloke, an incredible professional, and did an excellent job for us both on and off the pitch. He should be allowed to leave with massive gratitude and well wishes, and be treated to a stonking reception should he visit Molineux with his new team

This Leeds side are just such a nothing now. Yeah they were a bit shit under Marsch but they at least created some things.

Under Gracía they offer less than nothing.

EDIT: Just as I type that, Sommerville and Aaronson actually work something decent.

I think today’s second half shambles has kept us still active in this conversation.
We dropped a point closer to 3rd from bottom and are still 6 points clear. If we lose every game between now and the end of the season it'd be 50/50. We won't. You aren't going down with 36, so 2 points would guarantee

We dropped a point closer to 3rd from bottom and are still 6 points clear. If we lose every game between now and the end of the season it'd be 50/50. We won't. You aren't going down with 36, so 2 points would guarantee

I agree it’s why today is so annoying, put it this I want it over and done with ASAP.

A big week ahead with Bournemouth v West Ham tomorrow and then Leeds v Leicester Southampton v Bournemouth. Could do with a few draws in those games if we can't gain 3pts against Palace.

Back