• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation run in 22/23 ** Now a Wolves free zone**

No reason why it couldn't have been. It looked likely even at the end of the season that Lopetegui's time at Sevilla was coming to an end. Sure, we'd have had to pay for him, but go and get him and don't bother signing Guedes. And you'll still have plenty of change left over.
We'll never know of course but ultimately we only made the move after he was sacked (although it was suggested prior) and only actually got him after a break/change in his fathers circumstances. None of which actually changes my initial point that any degree of form/consistency this season could have resulted in a Top 6 finish, given the other teams occupying those positions and the disastrous seasons [by their standards] Liverpool and Chelsea have had.

Any degree of being proactive and we'd have been fine. Europe would have been a possibility, although you do question us in terms of goalscoring, even now. Villa have a good chance of making Europe under their own new manager who is far more appropriate for their aspirations, Brighton also, but they score way more than us, that's the big difference.

Having ownership who'd taken their eye off the ball and apparently seemed to just look at the league table and say "that's fine then, nothing to worry about" was marked out as being very dangerous a year ago and so it proved. Fortunately they did notice that we were 20th and did something about it. We should never have put ourselves in that position and hopefully we never do again. In our position in the natural(ish) hierarchy we're always at the mercy of a bad season but don't ensure you'll have one by making obviously crap decisions.

We'll never know of course but ultimately we only made the move after he was sacked (although it was suggested prior) and only actually got him after a break/change in his fathers circumstances. None of which actually changes my initial point that any degree of form/consistency this season could have resulted in a Top 6 finish, given the other teams occupying those positions and the disastrous seasons [by their standards] Liverpool and Chelsea have had.
Another way to look at it is we needed what happened to change the direction the club (Jeff) was heading in. With Nuno, clearly there was a thought of this is piss easy, safe in the PL now and we started to piss around before Nuno left. Let Jorge put the next man in place etc and hit cruise control. They didn't spot the issues the previous 12 months were creating, mainly as we sat in the top half and one point we had a race for Europe thread on here.
Everything was mixed up at the club over the summer. We seemed to be waiting for Neves to be sold before buying players and then all of a sudden he wasn't off and we went on a spending spree. Jorge finally got Guedes at the club, Jeff was doing Jeff things and Scott getting bored of being a nodding dog started to push his side across.
Then the disaster of the season started.

If Jeff had decided to get shot of Lage in May, 0% confidence he would have gone for Lop and we would have got someone else from the Mendes camp and that could be anyone really but we stepped down from Nuno to Bruno so...

We got lucky I think with Beale being "loyal". Not in a he would have been a Nathan Jones Mk2 but because the set up would have been the same behind scenes. Getting Lop completely changed the structure of everything. All of a sudden we have a head coach calling the shots, Jeff has stepped back, Hobbs got promoted in what looked like a bit of a hollow role but turns out he is bloody good at what he does and has started to rebuild the relationship between the fans on non footballing side.

We are about to get away with a fuck up that was in the making for at least 18 months and I think that has hit home in the world of Jeff Shi

100%. If you're not scoring you're only only defensive error away from defeat and while this is an area we've improved on, we certainly still have a rick in us (see Leeds (H)).
The one positive about our goal scoring is that we have started to contribute from other areas. Goals from our wide forwards and midfielders has been a problem for too long. Hopefully if a CF starts (probably next season) bagging goals on a regular basis this greater output continues from other parts of the team.

I won't breathe easy until we are on 39/40pts but in terms of the "relegation pack" we are at Palace's level (and Bournemouth probably with their form) as the top teams about to get out the scrap.

What that post-WC table tells me is that it's clear who the five favourites for the drop are. So West Ham should be safe too.

It's interesting* to look at points per goal at this stage of the season too. Almost everyone has somewhere in the region of 0.8 - 1.2 (ish, kinda) points for every goal scored, with a couple of glaring exceptions:

Man Utd -don't score so many but have been really mean defensively
Leicester -scored only 5 less than Utd, but earned fewer than half as many points =their defence is fucking grim.

*I'm bored at my desk

I won't breathe easy until we are on 39/40pts but in terms of the "relegation pack" we are at Palace's level (and Bournemouth probably with their form) as the top teams about to get out the scrap.

What that post-WC table tells me is that it's clear who the five favourites for the drop are. So West Ham should be safe too.
No way Forest are winning 2 more games than us. Leicester would need to win 3 more.

They've both only got 7 games left. I think we're safe now but 1 more win, 37pts, should be plenty.

We're more than 6 points clear at this stage; many versions of this have been said recently, but if we go down from here, it is nobody's fault but our own.

If the players keep focus we should be past the time of weekly heart palpitations.

When we drew 1-1 with Forest and scored our only shot on target, I was genuinely fearing the worst and I’m not afraid to admit that. It felt like a low moment. We’d just been hammered at home against Leeds and followed it up with that performance v Forest. We were still watching Lop play Moutinho in this weird number 10 role and any gap we had created had more or less gone.

The two matches since and subsequent wins (both to nil), Julen actually playing a proper formation with a genuine attempt to actually attack the opposition has turned that on its head. We look all but safe and I’m delighted to have been wrong. Like others, I won’t rest easy until we’re mathematically safe (a lifetime of supporting Wolves will do that to you, give me a break!), but it’s amazing what a couple of wins can do. Football, eh?

Well done to all involved. I hope we can finish the season positively & hit the ground running in the summer with the squad restructure under Lop’s guidance.

Oh, and Leeds look as gung-ho as ever. They just never look like keeping a clean sheet. They’re just relying on scoring a few goals and getting lucky in their last few.

A bad LB playing CB, a bad LW playing LB, a GK who has let in 11 straight SoGs…

Yeah, quaking in my boots.

Oh, and Leeds look as gung-ho as ever. They just never look like keeping a clean sheet. They’re just relying on scoring a few goals and getting lucky in their last few.

The 2nd goal they conceded was awful for that. 1-0 down and playing that high and loose like it was the last 5 minutes and they really needed to force something.

Commence the media slurping Dyche for “working a miracle”. 🙄🙄🙄
He’s done alright tbf. Their squad is absolute garbage. Got them over 1 PPG, which is all you need to do.

Still a chance they go. I can put a case for them losing every single one of their remaining games.

Liverpool at home to Forest next. Good luck Coops!

Back