• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation run in 22/23 ** Now a Wolves free zone**

As with Wolves, Twitter isn't the barometer of what real fans think.

Will be glad when we don't have to think about them at all. Our games v Forest are becoming a petulant circus, like with the stripey lot.

Agree with that - I really don't care who goes down as long as it's not us, but part of me wants Forest to go so there's one fewer petty 'rivalry' to deal with.

Reminds me of the bullshit with Villa TBH. Maybe I'm just old and cantankerous (well, I know I am but I digress) but I don't see the point of it all - it's so bloody childish.

If I had to choose I would go West Ham, Everton and Bournemouth. Or if we're choosing anyone, Liverpool and Villa. Not that fussed though as long as not us!

brffiutrn9ua1.jpg

Stolen from reddit, but this is the table post-WC. Genuinely taken aback to realise that we've been in European form, considering the wobbles and sloppily dropped points.

brffiutrn9ua1.jpg

Stolen from reddit, but this is the table post-WC. Genuinely taken aback to realise that we've been in European form, considering the wobbles and sloppily dropped points.
There's another defeat to go on the table as Loppers has lost to Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Leeds, Bournemouth and Newcastle. The point is correct that our form has been very good considering our record when he took over and the changes made since.

Not that it changes the point, but the Newcastle figure is wrong, they have 3 points more

Let's be honest, we haven't been 'great' during this period but have picked up some very handy/needed wins whilst also failing in some of the more obvious 'winnable' games. What is does show is an extremely erratic division this year and one in which any semblance of a decent, consistent run would have resulted in Europe. Had we appointed a proper manager last summer* and the league had played out this way, I think the European spots would have been a formality and CL possible.
There are some really, really poor sides in the top half this season.
* I appreciate that it wouldn't have been Lopetegui, but there were other options.

* I appreciate that it wouldn't have been Lopetegui, but there were other options.
No reason why it couldn't have been. It looked likely even at the end of the season that Lopetegui's time at Sevilla was coming to an end. Sure, we'd have had to pay for him, but go and get him and don't bother signing Guedes. And you'll still have plenty of change left over.

Last 2 games we’ve been brilliant but prior to that we were on a run of poor performances
Undoubtedly - we were rubbish, but I maintain that the poor run in question pales compared to those Leicester, Forest, Southampton have been on. They have all been consistently worse than we have, hence why they're in a worse predicament to us at the moment.

I also watched Leeds fall apart v Palace and West Ham surrender meekly at home to Newcastle very recently. Both were really weak performances which would absolutely alarm fans of both clubs.

We still have plenty to do to secure safety, and I would like us to be a lot more consistent next season but from where we were when Lopetegui arrived, we've done very well.

No point trying to contextualise when Langers is having one of his smug moments
Bit of an unnecessary comment but you do you

Weird table above as it's based on an uneven number of games played across the 20 teams. But the point is pretty clear -we're averaging 1.5 ppg post-World Cup and it would take a catastrophic collapse on our part, and an unprecedented uptick in form for those below, for us to finish 18th or worse.

Weird table above as it's based on an uneven number of games played across the 20 teams. But the point is pretty clear -we're averaging 1.5 ppg post-World Cup and it would take a catastrophic collapse on our part, and an unprecedented uptick in form for those below, for us to finish 18th or worse.
This is our 9th season in the Premier League in total...

In 2011/12 we had separate runs of 5 straight defeats and 7 straight defeats. Objectively we were the worst team in the division that season and the latter run came under the charge of Terry Connor, who we all know was never a manager at any level.

Otherwise we have never lost more than 4 in a row, not under Dave Jones, not under Bruno Lage, not under Steve Davis.

It's not going to happen.

Back