• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Reading (H) build up

Key question for me is who is fresh. Too many of the team looked knackered yesterday. And after his dismal showing at Fulham 15 minutes from Costa yesterday doesn't convince me. Time for Will Norris as well.

Norris
Bennett - Coady - Boly
Doherty - Saiss - Neves - Douglas
Cav - Afobe - Jota (or MGW - Cav - Jota)

Subs: Ruddy Hause Miranda Alf MGW/Afobe Vinagre Costa

It's been a pattern for a number of matches now, where Wolves have tired in the 2nd half.

Still of all the teams fighting for the top 2 spots, I believe we have the best run home:

H Reading
H Burton
A Middlesborough
H Hull
A Cardiff
H Derby
H Birmingham
A Bolton
H Sheffield Wed.
A Sunderland

Yes the bottom ranked teams will be desperate, but they are at the bottom for a reason . . . and invariably they'll need to go for a win and not necessarily park the bus.

Still that's 6 out of 10 games to go at home where we have been pretty dominant (apart from Cardiff early in the season, there's only been the Notts Forest game where we didn't turn up at all).

Even with this dip in form and maybe confidence I remain convinced that we'll win at least 5 of those games (surely worst case).

Keep to 343, change/freshen a couple of players and lets have the home crowd right behind the team without getting anxious.

Bright is at least a livewire going forward. He can't be less effective than what's been out there recently.
Come on, comparing Jota and Bright is like comparing a juicy steak and a 20 day old bread..you really dont think Jota is lively going forward? Our most creative player IMO..ooh and Bright burned a lot of bridges man c away in the cup not being effective(Jota has not been either tbf)

If we're only three points clear when we play Cardiff I"ll be incredibly nervous.

Changing system now would be nuts, though. There's not enough time to get that sort of change done properly, and if we did I don't think we have the defenders to play that way safely.
No, just go for it..they have to defend all game and we will create/score more and gain confidence back..make or break, I think I will go for make

This and Burton are an absolute must win for me. With our form, plus the form of Cardiff, Villa and Fulham we are in serious trouble. On PPG from the last 5 games I'd imagine we are on course to finish out of the top 2.

Personally, and I fully expect pelters for it (though it would be nice if the pelters were backed up by rational thought, rather than just 'pack' nonsense) I don't think we will finish top 2, we just have too many issues at the moment - a tired and out of form defence and attack, no clear option for the middle of the front 3, no attacking intent from LWB at all and a gaffe prone keeper.

I think I need a break from twitter and TWF for a while. Some ridiculous arguments and lack of perspective going on at the moment. I really hope Nuno and the players are calmer than some of our supporters.

Our current form suggests we will finish with 94 points. And that's before you factor in we play 6 of the bottom 7. We also have 6 games at home and we are very good at home right now.

We've just played 3 games away on the spin and that's tough for any team regardless of division.

There is no way Cardiff and Villa can sustain their current level of form, not least because they have to play each other. If we don't get 6 points from the next two games then it will be a tough run in. However Cardiff have 6 away games left and two of those are at Brentford and Villa, both very strong st home. Statistically it will be very hard for Fulham to win every game they have left and Cardiff the same. If they do then they deserve to go up.

Oh and if we win 7 of our last 10 games, which isn't remotely out of the question then this argument is all moot anyway.

I tend to avoid social media for a few days after results like this as the reaction is always way over the top. At the moment the momentum/form isn't with us however some of these teams have been on long winning runs that won't continue. Without Batth's various errors yesterday and with even one of those penalty decisions and the game looks less of a humping.

There is no hiding that we did look tired, that needs to be addressed with rotation, we have plenty of options so lets start using them.

Afobe is a very good striker at this level, he simply has to start now. Nuno has been very patient with Leo but his form just isn't recovering and we need goals.

We have to go for it against both Reading and Burton, if we play to our best we should pick up maximum points and hopefully increase the gap again.

Huge week ahead.

This and Burton are an absolute must win for me. With our form, plus the form of Cardiff, Villa and Fulham we are in serious trouble. On PPG from the last 5 games I'd imagine we are on course to finish out of the top 2.

Personally, and I fully expect pelters for it (though it would be nice if the pelters were backed up by rational thought, rather than just 'pack' nonsense) I don't think we will finish top 2, we just have too many issues at the moment - a tired and out of form defence and attack, no clear option for the middle of the front 3, no attacking intent from LWB at all and a gaffe prone keeper.

Look at the home games to come, you couldn't hand pick six better fixtures.

Reading
Burton
Hull
Derby
Birmingham
Sheff Wed

All 6 we beat away - and none of them are in any from at all.

I get we were very poor against Fulham and Villa, but they are 2 teams in superb form. We were very good against Leeds.

With the 6 games above, and Bolton and Sunderland to play away also, we have more than enough winnable games. Win just 5 of those 8 (I think we will win more than 5) and that puts us to 91 points. Villa need 22 points from 30 to get to that, Fulham 23 from 27. Win the 6 home games and then Fulham need to win every game to catch us and Villa can only drop points in 2 of their remaining games.

Beat Reading and Burton this week and the table looks a whole lot better.

I think we’ll end up on 92 or so but I worry that won’t be enough, I can’t see Villa or Fulham dropping any points right now which means even if Cardiff do fall away (which has been expected all season and hasn’t happened) we still might be screwed. 6 points this week is a must to get back on track and everything will look a lot more rosy but it’ll be nervy as hell at Molineux.

I think we’ll end up on 92 or so but I worry that won’t be enough, I can’t see Villa or Fulham dropping any points right now which means even if Cardiff do fall away (which has been expected all season and hasn’t happened) we still might be screwed. 6 points this week is a must to get back on track and everything will look a lot more rosy but it’ll be nervy as hell at Molineux.

To my knowledge, any team which has achieved 90 points has always been promoted.

To my knowledge, any team which has achieved 90 points has always been promoted.

Well yeah but that’s the worry, we already got the highest total to not make the playoffs a couple of years ago and went down in a year when you needed the highest ever to stay up (I think). These records will break and there are 3 ridiculously in form teams snapping at our heels not slowing down and we need two of them to do just that.

Sunderland 97-98 finished 3rd with 90 points, the only time it's happened with 24 teams in the league. Forest won the league on 94 and Middlesbrough finished second on 91.

Look at the home games to come, you couldn't hand pick six better fixtures.

Reading
Burton
Hull
Derby
Birmingham
Sheff Wed

All 6 we beat away - and none of them are in any from at all.

I get we were very poor against Fulham and Villa, but they are 2 teams in superb form. We were very good against Leeds.

With the 6 games above, and Bolton and Sunderland to play away also, we have more than enough winnable games. Win just 5 of those 8 (I think we will win more than 5) and that puts us to 91 points. Villa need 22 points from 30 to get to that, Fulham 23 from 27. Win the 6 home games and then Fulham need to win every game to catch us and Villa can only drop points in 2 of their remaining games.

Beat Reading and Burton this week and the table looks a whole lot better.
Its never that easy though is it?

Its never that easy though is it?

It's not, but you have to back our quality over those sides. Villa and Fulham were two sides in serious form and we got beat comfortably. Reading and Burton are not Villa and Fulham.

Reading have only won twice since the start of December (against Sunderland and Burton)
Burton have only won twice in 2018 (against Barnsley and Sheff Wed)

We have to win these two games this week, I'm sure we will, and then the table looks a whole lot nicer. We will be minimum 7 clear of Villa and minimum 11 clear of Fulham with only 8 games left.

Keep calm.

It shouldn't be nervy though,we should make it as loud as possible and intimidating...no fucking moaning.

I hope our quality will make the difference but I also know how the chumps work..so, far from calm Trips

Our current form suggests we will finish with 94 points. And that's before you factor in we play 6 of the bottom 7. We also have 6 games at home and we are very good at home right now.

We've just played 3 games away on the spin and that's tough for any team regardless of division.

There is no way Cardiff and Villa can sustain their current level of form, not least because they have to play each other. If we don't get 6 points from the next two games then it will be a tough run in. However Cardiff have 6 away games left and two of those are at Brentford and Villa, both very strong st home. Statistically it will be very hard for Fulham to win every game they have left and Cardiff the same. If they do then they deserve to go up.

Oh and if we win 7 of our last 10 games, which isn't remotely out of the question then this argument is all moot anyway.
A number of very valid points here. In addition, the travelling for recent away games could be a factor in our tiredness.

Don't see the sense in changing formation currently, we need to play to our strengths. Start moving the ball quicker again too.

Ruddy
Boly, Coady, Hause
Doherty Neves Saiss Vinagre
Costa Cav Jota

MGW & afobe being the main 2 on the bench to bring extra attacking threats on in both games.

Ruddy

Bennett
Coady
Boly

Doherty
Neves
Saiss
Vinaigre

Cav
Afobe
Jota

We can't have Vinagre as an option unless one of the other loanees drops out of the squad.

Why?
Sorry if this has been discussed previously.
If it is to do with ‘loanees’, then surely we could bugger Afobe back to Bournemouth, as he is clearly not what is needed, here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back