• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Reading (H) build up

Bright is at least a livewire going forward. He can't be less effective than what's been out there recently.

Bright can't do what Leo can (or did). Our biggest issue, Imo, is we overplayed Leo earlier in the season and we have no one he can come close to playing his role. That and Douglas is a very poor footballer on the end of a good left foot.

We have been 3 4 3 all season. Don't change now but make some tweaks.
Norris
Bennett Coady Boly
Doherty Nerves NDaiye Vinagre
Costa Cavalero Jota

And stuff Reading 3 1 with Bod or Edwards scoring for them obviously

Bright can't do what Leo can (or did). Our biggest issue, Imo, is we overplayed Leo earlier in the season and we have no one he can come close to playing his role. That and Douglas is a very poor footballer on the end of a good left foot.

A brilliant summary of Douglas. Awesome left foot. Head full of rocks

Bright is at least a livewire going forward. He can't be less effective than what's been out there recently.

You can't knock Jota for trying to walk things in and then advocate Bright, he's the worst player in the squad for overcomplicating things.

I think that's a very harsh assessment of Douglas.

He's a fairly average individual but he showed earlier in the season he can be a very effective part of a team when playing neat one and two touch football, I think his drop off in form has coincided with the change in Jota as much as anything. Whilst Doherty can sort of look after himself when given time out wide, as we've seen in recent games with some very impressive runs with the ball, Douglas just doens't have that in his locker, his strength lies in the link up with other players such as he enjoyed with Jota early in the season, since Jota got opened his scoring account he seems to spent more time pushing inside and linking up with Bonatini rather than further wide with Douglas, his goal tally has improved as a result but the Scotsman is now left floundering on his own a lot of the time.

Vinagre might actually be worth a try in that circumstance, he's got more in his locker to do that offensive role with more independance than Douglas. Though personally I'd be looking more at Jota to come back to what worked so well earlier in the season as he's certainly not being very productive with Bonatini lately.

MGW is rightly ahead of him in the pecking order.

No easy answer but I do think that keeping it simple is the key. Shoot when you can. Don't over play. Bonatini and Jota were booth guilty of that tonight.

---------------Norris------------

-----Bennett--Coady-----Boly

Doc-------Saiss-----Neves------Douglas

--Cav----------Afobe------------Costa-

Jota and Leo look like they are both struggling with the amount of games that they had had to play so they drop out and Batth is not good enough. Back to the midfield 2 that has worked for the majority of the season. Ruddy is another that looks like he has lost a bit of something, maybe confidence and we can't afford it right now so Norris in too. Wouldn't be against Vinagre coming in for Barry either.

You can't knock Jota for trying to walk things in and then advocate Bright, he's the worst player in the squad for overcomplicating things.

Think Jota has been worse about it lately than Bright has been.

Either way you surely can't argue that Bright is the man for simple, incisive football?

Didn't mean to make that argument, no. Just think Bright is at least a different option off the bench which we have somewhat lacked recently.

Big issue with Jota of late is that unless he's acting a prick getting a dumb yellow, he just looks very casual for the most part. Getting involved in the wrong physical battles.

Didn't mean to make that argument, no. Just think Bright is at least a different option off the bench which we have somewhat lacked recently.

Big issue with Jota of late is that unless he's acting a prick getting a dumb yellow, he just looks very casual for the most part. Getting involved in the wrong physical battles.

Our problem is overplaying it and that is something Bright definitely does, he's not a different option or the one we need currently.

Remind me how many goals this season Jota has and how many assists. Bright with the same number of games would be nowhere close. If we are to experiment MGW has far more direct, decisive qualities we can use.

Jota has been outstanding this season and I think with some of his early performances people's expectations are now a little OTT.

We do need to rotate no doubt about that but Cav and Jota really aren't the weak links.

Casually chipping the ball for Afobe to score against Leeds?
Ill say he's overplaying the ball at the moment and the ball isn't just sticking to him like it was earlier in the season but he's still a threat we need.

Fresh legs are fresh legs and I think Jota gets an easy ride from some on here but hey ho.

Fresh legs are fresh legs and I think Jota gets an easy ride from some on here but hey ho.
Ooh yes no doubt but you must agree he can go from anonymity to a bit of genius in a few seconds and we'll need him at moment.

Ooh yes no doubt but you must agree he can go from anonymity to a bit of genius in a few seconds and we'll need him at moment.

Definitely can't disagree with that.

He's a match winner more so than many others in our squad. Cav is also very up and down but more often than not we remember the good stuff and rightly so.

Brights problem is that despite quite a lot of games those moments have been very few and far between.

Jota could well have been rested and might still be but as long as he's on the pitch there is a greater chance of some magic happening that others are incapable of producing at this moment.

One thing has been clear for a long time, Siggy, and that's that our opinions of Bright could hardly be more opposite! :beerchug:

One thing has been clear for a long time, Siggy, and that's that our opinions of Bright could hardly be more opposite! :beerchug:
Yes very true but always happy to chomp on some humble pie if you are proved right!

Back