• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season Games 2018

Giles comfortably had Tom Ince under control in the last game, think you are being incredibly harsh there.

Can't really call him a career anything either at 18, of course he will make mistakes, but as do more senior players. Baz was at fault for a fair few goals last season and he *is* a career LB

Think that's a lot of judgments for a preseason match, TT.

The game at Stoke lacked intensity and you could tell that both teams had gone out there with the intention of just building up their fitness. This one was clearly not the case. Week to go until Derby start the season so they are up and ready. Looked like they had a gameplan too and it was executed well, they pressed effectively and looked to play some nice football, a lot different from the Derby that visited us in April. Obviously it's a friendly but you can see some real positive signs from a Derby perspective. Hope Lampard does well.

Not a great deal of positive signs on our side. I hope we were just treating this as a means to improve the squad's match fitness, because we weren't really in the match. Not all that threatening going forwards and just overplayed it now and then, Jota did it a lot. Not that much to comment on in regards to individual performances. Bonatini was dire, Jonny was average, Boly below average. Norris didn't fill me with any confidence at all when he came on. We played some nice stuff at times but never threatened all that greatly, hope that was just us not taking it too seriously because it was a friendly. I'm not all that concerned about the game to be honest, the result is pretty irrelevant in preseason. Sometimes you see teams win every game and do poorly, and other times teams with bad preseasons (in terms of results) do really well. Hopefully we play with more intensity against Villarreal.

Last year at this point we were losing at Shrewsbury and a week later and people were leaving Molineux excited at what lay ahead as we beat Leicester and put on an impressive performance.

Exactly. A lot of posters were concerned at Nuno playing Coady at centre back (Ask Darlo! ;) ) so the talk of square pegs in round holes is quite premature about a player who plays centre back for his county and a career left back (who I think will actually end up on the right, ha)

Ok
Would many of us have had Baz down as a quality defending left back?
No I think not.
Is he a great wing back. No he is decent.
Does he have a real wand of a left foot?
Yes.
Would that be enough in the premier league! Probably not. So he rightly goes. With my good wishes.
Danny B too.

These games are as much about match fitness as anything. Derby , I hope do well. Am I concerned about us? No. There are some tweaks still needed sure, but it's on the rails. I am in the chilled zone.

Ok
Would many of us have had Baz down as a quality defending left back?
No I think not.
Is he a great wing back. No he is decent.
Does he have a real wand of a left foot?
Yes.
Would that be enough in the premier league! Probably not. So he rightly goes. With my good wishes.
Danny B too.

These games are as much about match fitness as anything. Derby , I hope do well. Am I concerned about us? No. There are some tweaks still needed sure, but it's on the rails. I am in the chilled zone.
Reckon thats your best post ever Cyber ;)

Harsh on Giles who has been superb in pre-season and the only time I have seen him beaten defensively was for the 2nd Derby goal but then there were another 3 players at least out of position or just all over the shop so lets bear that in mind. In Vinny and Giles we have 2 very good young players who if used right should have great careers (more so for Vinny) however I won't believe we would let Barry go with only 2 youngsters in that spot for the premier league, if Zinchenko isn't coming there must be a contingency this is the new Wolves now after all.

Look it was shit yesterday but as already pointed out we lost to Shrewsbury at a similar time last season, its pre-season it happens. We don't know at what stage the process of continual overload will stop or slow down, the players could have been fucked before they walked on the pitch.

I am just glad that the new signings got a run out and there are no injuries, the only concerns for me are Jonny playing LWB and Saiss playing RCB, other that that im happy.

Just to add I love the look of Jiminez so far, exactly what we need!!

We were pretty poor yesterday, though I'm not overly concerned by most of it.

I am slightly concerned by Saiss at CB though. He looked shaky for Morocco I thought and has continued to do so. We have a left footed CB who I really rate in Hause who I would much rather see, especially after a good showing last time out.

I am just glad that the new signings got a run out and there are no injuries, the only concerns for me are Jonny playing LWB and Saiss playing RCB, other that that im happy.

Just to add I love the look of Jiminez so far, exactly what we need!!
I know Saiss plays there for Morocco but I just don't know. Thing is if it were me I'd of left Neves/Saiss in position this season but our gaffer is
progressive to the max and "constant change is here to stay".

We don't actually know what Nuno was trying to find out by playing in this way, for those getting nervous I would say that it is inevitable a little anxiety will creep into supporters, lets face it we pissed the championship and were full of beans Billy big bollocks and all that. Now you look at the fixture list and its like Oh fuck wheres all the points coming from for the 10th place finish I predicted. I have faith in Nuno but right now just staying up sounds good.

We were pretty poor yesterday, though I'm not overly concerned by most of it.

I am slightly concerned by Saiss at CB though. He looked shaky for Morocco I thought and has continued to do so. We have a left footed CB who I really rate in Hause who I would much rather see, especially after a good showing last time out.

Disagree that Saiss looked shaky for Morocco, the games I saw he was their best defender.....think its obvious that he's much more comfortable on the left side

Ita pretty clear Nuno likes a right footed CB to pass the ball out to the LWB at LCB and vice versa on the right. It worked very well last season with Boly, apart from the fact that Douglas didn't have enough pace to take advantage.

I think we will either bring in another CB or have Saiss there against the teams we would hope to beat and Bennett there against the more difficult teams.

If Nuno isn’t happy with Saïss at RCB he’ll soon drop his experiment.

Call me crazy, but there’s no way Giles is ready to be our 1st choice LWB in the PL. We’re talking about an 18 year old lad who was playing National League football last season.

Don’t get me wrong - he looks like a prospect and I’m all for using him sporadically throughout the season, but we need another new signing in those wing back positions in the next week, IMO. This isn’t panic - it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it.

We need another striker too. Bonatini looks miles away from being a PL striker and I’m still puzzled by his signing. I’ve seen it referred to as “cheap insurance”. Sorry, but if he’s not good enough (he isn’t) then we shouldn’t be signing him.

Nuno & Co have my complete & undivided support and trust - but there’s a few people on here with their head in the sand when it comes to how much of a step up this season is going to be. To get anywhere near a mid-table finish I think we’re still 3-4 players short.

Call me crazy, but there’s no way Giles is ready to be our 1st choice LWB in the PL. We’re talking about an 18 year old lad who was playing National League football last season.

Don’t get me wrong - he looks like a prospect and I’m all for using him sporadically throughout the season, but we need another new signing in those wing back positions in the next week, IMO. This isn’t panic - it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it.

We need another striker too. Bonatini looks miles away from being a PL striker and I’m still puzzled by his signing. I’ve seen it referred to as “cheap insurance”. Sorry, but if he’s not good enough (he isn’t) then we shouldn’t be signing him.

Nuno & Co have my complete & undivided support and trust - but there’s a few people on here with their head in the sand when it comes to how much of a step up this season is going to be. To get anywhere near a mid-table finish I think we’re still 3-4 players short.
Er, there is no way Giles will be first choice. We've already signed one LWB this window.

I wonder if Arsenal fans had the same reservations over Ashley Cole, Chelsea fans with John Terry starting st 17, Liverpool fans with a young Michael Owen or an unproven Robbie Fowler. Or Porto fans with an untried midfielder called Ruben Neves.

The result yesterday is irrelevant, bit disappointed we didnt control the game a bit more but Nuno has 2 more weeks for the new boys to gel. Sounds like Jiminez had a decent half

Bit torn on this one results have no relevance which why I don’t go to them anymore.
Personally I think we Jimenez will work better as an inpact player ie last 30 minutes as opposed to starting so I think it’s important we bring in another forward. We could revert to Cav playing through the middle again but I’m not sure it would be as effective once stepping up a level.

I suspect if we don't sign another forward that Jota will start up the middle with Costa and Cav either side of him

Back