• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

Surely Zyro is owed a bit of patience? He's not played for over a year. He showed some decent touches during one of the Austrian games. It'll be a while before he's up to speed.

I really wish Marshall wasn't injured. It would be so useful to see if he could be our RWB in this system.

My guess for the opening game would be -

--------------Ruddy------------
----Batth---Miranda---Boly----
Doherty-----------------Douglas
----------Price---Neves----------
---Jota------Dicko----Graham---

Graham is the only question mark for me, but he has done more tonight than Zyro has done all pre-season (slightly worried Zyro may have a similar season to the one Dicko has just had). I really like Ronan and I suspect he will perhaps come off the bench for Graham/Jota in that opening game.

Price gets the nod ahead of Saiss for me, and the rest of the team picks itself, fitness permitting.
Zyro won't be able to have the type of season Dicko did, the squad is so much stronger that if he looks off the pace he won't feature. I hope we don't carry him around as 19th/20th man though, I hope we give him lots of time to build up his fitness and confidence as an overage U23 player

It might be worth loaning Zyro out for a few months to get some game time

Surely Zyro is owed a bit of patience? He's not played for over a year. He showed some decent touches during one of the Austrian games. It'll be a while before he's up to speed.

Definitely, just like Dicko has been given the benefit of the doubt.

It's bad luck for him, though, that Graham looks to have come back where he left off. It makes it more starkly clear by comparison that Zyro isn't playing as well as he used to, yet.

no, Zyro will get up to speed soon and be a good alternative

Coady's not a centre back, I hope Nuno bins that idea off rather sharpish.

Sloppy as fuck.

It's clear we need improvements up top (what an improvement Jota will be!) and hopefully taking Neves off was just a precaution as we were completely bereft of creativity after the sub.

Coady was really poor today I thought. He looks really useful when we're keeping our shape and building from the back but if he can't defend those simple crosses into the box then he just can't play centre half.

A good run out though and we've got a lot of time to make it work before Boro.

Yet despite that you think Coady should start against Middlesbrough.

It might be worth loaning Zyro out for a few months to get some game time

If we want to have proper depth up front, it feels like we need to have around seven players there. That's three strikers competing for the middle slot - Dicko plus the two other strikers we've all been wanting - and then four players competing

Left is looking fine with Graham and Cavaleiro. Right, too, with Costa and Jota. These four are pretty comfortable swapping around and playing either side, too, which helps with attacking fluidity.

Then you've got Dicko, plus another striker - it sounds like we want Sam Gallagher, specifically, but who knows after the transfer window we've had. A lot of us have been wanting two more strikers, too, but my instinct is we're probably only after one more, a real prestige signing perhaps.

That leaves one more slot open, but we've still got Mason, Zyro, and Enobakhare available. Mason's not good enough, and we should hopefully assume he's on the way out. But then it's a case of figuring out who would be best as a third-choice striker, and who would be best heading out for regular game time elsewhere. Enobakhare, who needs to experience as much of the game as possible to develop his composure and finishing? Or Zyro, who needs to recapture his old form in a more forgiving league? It's a tough choice. But I think I'd lean towards keeping Zyro here, and sending Enobakhare to somewhere in League One that plays decent passing football. I like the look of him a lot, and think he's going to have a very bright (if you'll excuse the pun) career here.

Zyro needs game time, which I don't think we can give him enough of - how long is Marshall out for as if he is back then he can provide cover down the right and allow us to loan Zyro out.

Even happy if its to Lg 1 as playing games at a reasonable level is what he needs & not just Championship games

He didn't say should...he said he thinks that is what Nuno will go with

Thank you. Though I doubt if any of us know what the starting eleven will be. Some people are suggesting that Batth and Doherty will start, which again would surprise me, but all will be revealed in less than two weeks.

I wonder whether the line up against Leicester City will be the team he plans to select against Middlesbrough.

Thank you. Though I doubt if any of us know what the starting eleven will be. Some people are suggesting that Batth and Doherty will start, which again would surprise me, but all will be revealed in less than two weeks.

I wonder whether the line up against Leicester City will be the team he plans to select against Middlesbrough.

Likely to be nearer, but not a guarantee that it will be the same. There will also be more half time changes than we can make in a league game

Doherty is pretty much nailed on, since German Phil is crocked but if we are playing him at wing back its not much of an issue in the short term. Batth has a slim chance, mainly because Hause is injured and has missed all of the pre-season. You would expect Miranda and Boly to play so then it is between Batth, Bennett & Coady for the last spot.

Normally by now a manager is getting close to his starting 11 but Nuno is not doing the normal stuff, so we could well see the starting 11 changed at half time on Saturday again.

Doherty is pretty much nailed on, since German Phil is crocked but if we are playing him at wing back its not much of an issue in the short term. Batth has a slim chance, mainly because Hause is injured and has missed all of the pre-season. You would expect Miranda and Boly to play so then it is between Batth, Bennett & Coady for the last spot.

Normally by now a manager is getting close to his starting 11 but Nuno is not doing the normal stuff, so we could well see the starting 11 changed at half time on Saturday again.

Agreed with all of that

If we want to have proper depth up front, it feels like we need to have around seven players there. That's three strikers competing for the middle slot - Dicko plus the two other strikers we've all been wanting - and then four players competing

Left is looking fine with Graham and Cavaleiro. Right, too, with Costa and Jota. These four are pretty comfortable swapping around and playing either side, too, which helps with attacking fluidity.

Then you've got Dicko, plus another striker - it sounds like we want Sam Gallagher, specifically, but who knows after the transfer window we've had. A lot of us have been wanting two more strikers, too, but my instinct is we're probably only after one more, a real prestige signing perhaps.

That leaves one more slot open, but we've still got Mason, Zyro, and Enobakhare available. Mason's not good enough, and we should hopefully assume he's on the way out. But then it's a case of figuring out who would be best as a third-choice striker, and who would be best heading out for regular game time elsewhere. Enobakhare, who needs to experience as much of the game as possible to develop his composure and finishing? Or Zyro, who needs to recapture his old form in a more forgiving league? It's a tough choice. But I think I'd lean towards keeping Zyro here, and sending Enobakhare to somewhere in League One that plays decent passing football. I like the look of him a lot, and think he's going to have a very bright (if you'll excuse the pun) career here.

I'd loan them both out, assuming we get Gallagher the 3rd choice striker won't play much anyway. We've got Wilson who could fill in as could others.

I'd rather bright and Zyro get up to speed and come back firing on all cylinders

Bright is up and down so i would consider loaning him out..not zyro though

Bright 19 yrs, Zyro 24 yrs

Back