• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

Ripping a section from the E&S podcast off here, but who do we think is a 'hit', 'miss' or 'must do better', from the pre-season so far?

Hits -

Doherty - DW won't like this one, but he's basically played himself in to the starting 11 for the opening game. Partly through luck (Ofosu-Ayeh being injured) and partly through actually looking like he can do a job in the role he's been asked to play, where he isn't called on to defend much. Bagged a goal too.

Douglas - looks like a superb signing. Up & down the wing constantly. Sweet left foot and actually has a brain. Chipped in with an assist and has generally looked what we've been crying out for. Need someone to be signed to back him up, though.

Conor Coady - who would have thought we'd see Coady feature so heavily? And in the centre of a back three too? Mad! Nuno obviously likes how vocal he is, and he's actually looked pretty comfortable in that role. Don't think he'll be a starter, but fair play to him.

Cavaleiro - seems to really suit the inside left attacking role. I think he'll have a massive season and I'm gutted he's suspended for the first two games.

Neves - Mad player at this level. Never seen a player in a Wolves shirt during my lifetime that can kill a ball with one touch and then ping it 40/50 yards to the feet of a teammate. He's going to be a joy to watch this season if we can keep him fit.

Dicko - looks like the 'old' Dicko. Two goals and looks sharp. Needs competition up top, though.

Jack Price - at one point this summer he was almost certain to leave, but he has managed to convince Nuno that he's capable of playing this system and being part of this squad. Fair play to him.

Miranda - Looks classy. Solid, happy to bring the ball out and comfortable with it at his feet. I think he'll be a big player for us this season and he looks a very astute signing.

Ronan - According to Spiers, Nuno has been keeping a very close eye on Ronan during training and has spent a lot of time with him. I think he's in for a breakthrough season this time. Will probably start v Boro as one of the attacking three, but perhaps more suited to a midfield role. Looks to ooze class, though - and can find that pass that breaks through the back line.

Misses -

Aaron Simpson, Harry Burgoyne, Jack Ruddy, Sylvain Deslandes.

I would say none of the above are 'ready' for first team football. It's likely that three of the four will be shipped out on loan & Ruddy will be first choice for the Under 23's. Deslandes & Simpson to gain some experience playing week in week out - Burgoyne needs to hit the gym and build up some muscles in his wrists. Maybe it's a bit harsh putting Ruddy Jnr in the 'misses' as he hasn't featured, but if he's fourth choice than that tells you all you need to know.

Enobakhare - oh dear. Was given an opportunity and fluffed it. Tried to overcomplicate everything and tried too many tricks. Maybe he was trying too hard to impress? Either way, I feel he may benefit from a loan to a League 1 club this season - which is a shame, because the lad has talent.

Mason - just doesn't fit in to the system and if we got £3m for Jon Dadi, hopefully we can move him on for a similar price.

Edwards - could we be seeing his illustrious career at Wolves coming to an end? Doesn't fit the system, isn't technically good enough. I'm sure we will keep him for his experience off the pitch and behind closed doors, but I can't see anything more than a few cameo appearances off the bench this season.

Bennett - Seems down the pecking order in the back three - especially if Coady is ahead of him too and Hause is coming back to fitness. Not sure why we signed him, other than to warm the bench with "Championship experience" next to Edwards.

Must do better -

John Ruddy/Will Norris - didn't really see much of either, so can't really put them in the 'hit' or 'miss' section. Both look comfortable for our level, though.

Boly - looks a man mountain and will be a big player for us this season. Needs to work on his distribution a bit, and might just be settling in.

Batth - not done too badly in his appearances so far. I don't think his distribution is as bad as many have made it out to be. Probably on a similar level to Boly, which is why I've stuck him here.

Saiss - maybe controversial. But he now has the opportunity to cement his place in the starting 11, and for me, he could have done a little bit more. He looks fitter than last season, though, which is good. In the end, I think he's clearly first choice next to Neves - but I just want to see a bit more from him.

Zyro - looks rusty, which is completely understandable.

Harsh on Bright, Saiss and Boly I think.

Maybe it's because I really want him to succeed here, but I thought Bright looked good when he played in the first two games, albeit out of position as the lone forward. He was guilty of trying a bit too much in the third game but he had almost nothing in front of him, for whatever reason. He's ridiculously talented, I wouldn't loan him out as I think that could have the potential to go quite wrong, and I would definitely have him as a squad player.

Saiss and Boly are going to be important physically for us I think, and both can play and contribute to our approach in possession. I thought Saiss paired well with whoever he played next to

Tbh this is probably the first time I've been excited during pre-season since we signed Steven Fletcher all those years ago. The prospect of having Costa, Cav and a footballing centre forward - the combinations they could make, especially with Neves supplying them and the wing backs with those raking, bullet accurate passes. Fuck I've got a lob on just thinking about it. We do need an upgrade on Dicko to make it work, from a footballing perspective. I'm not thinking about that fabled "25 goal striker" - I think a Fletch, a Freedman - a proper footballer who'll link up with the two inside forwards, they can all get 15 apiece, and then hopefully a further 5-10 from the back up 3, and shared between the midfield 2.

One player. One! We could cope without another LWB for me, just have Doherty as back up for both sides.

I agree with most of that Jinks (all the 'hits' I'd agree with) but I think Boly looks like a good signing so I'd add him to the first list and I'm pleased with Ruddy/Norris competing for the starting role.

Definitely agree with Saiss - I still believe there's more to come from him but we've not yet seen it.

Bright just needs first team experience and I don't think we have the luxury of giving that to him at the moment.

Don't really like all the praise for Doherty, using the idea that he doesn't need to defend as much. He still bloody does, and if he's lazy when tracking back after an attack, or on a counter attack, or gets beaten on pace down his side he's fucked up big time. I don't trust him but guess we'll see.

Agree with Bright. I hope for more but not seen it yet at all...

Also agree on Saiss. He's done better which I'm glad about as I knew it was in him (and have a soft spot), looks a bit fitter but didn't impose himself enough as a few people have said. If he's in there to break up play etc he needs to do it more. Passing been better, few cockups still.

The reality is with Doc he will be back up Ofosu wasn't brought in to warm the bench, but he does like far more comfortable as a wing back and does genuinely look like he's shed a few pounds so fair play to him on that.

Whilst Ronan is only a wee lad I think it's unfair to say a pairing of him and Neves would be too lightweight as others have suggested, Price is of a similar build and I think in the long terms it's between those 2 to compete with Saiss perhaps coming in against the better side for his defensive capabilities.

I won't be unhappy with Ronan starting in the front 3 but the sooner he plays in his natural position the better for me, he can do what Price can do and a lot more but is obviously a little more raw at the moment.

I am still hoping Graham will get a chance to shine he seems convinced he is rejoining the main squad this week from twitter and I really hope that is the case even if it isn't to challenge for his natural position, I wonder if he could play wingback (remember last season when we played the shit teams and still played 1 up top and didn't go for it, perhaps Nuno will change the formation for these games)??

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Pretty good assessment there Jinks. Only one I'd disagree with is Boly who I think has looked imperious and is clearly not at full tilt yet. Bright is good enough but he's got to be converted to an inside forward for me.

I've not been overly impressed with Saiss, he looks good one minute and then garbage the next. I think there's an excellent player there and he can fill in the back 3 too and I'm sure as the season starts he'll be on his game.

Saiss just needs to show a bit more, for me. As you say, Johnny, he's clearly got the ability to be a top player at this level for us - but he just needs to be a bit more consistent.

Perhaps I have been a little harsh on Boly. He looks like he'll be well suited to the blood & thunder of the Championship.

Saiss needs to stop giving away silly free kicks.

It's not consistency for me with Saiss, you get pretty much the same thing from him all the time. He'll have a good 10 minutes, 10 minutes where he disappears, 10 minutes where he lets his direct opponents boss him (even though physically he's a beast and that shouldn't happen), 10 minutes where he looks like he's never been taught how to pass a ball, 10 minutes where he's in totally the wrong position...very rarely has he ever put together a joined up 90 minutes for us. A couple of his better showings were when he came on lateish vs Cardiff and Forest and closed the game down.

There's ability there but he's a long way from being a top end midfielder at this level. I don't know how long we can wait.

I wonder if a half decent coach could get some good out of him. The 90 minutes there sounds like our entire team for the most part of last season (Costa and Cav excepted, of course).

If we can get another decent CM I wouldn't be averse to sticking Saiss on the left of the back three, instead of Batth or Bennett being in there.

Ooh Boly Boly will be left sided CH I'd have thought?

Yeah he has been so far. Is Boly left footed?

Think the plan is Boly right centre-back. Miranda central. Hause left. With Bennett/Coady/Saiss offering cover and Batth likely to go by end of August, or maybe January, depending what kind of bid(s) we get.

Also I feel it's harsh to include Jack Ruddy in the "miss" category...Did he even get game time? I would like to see him get some minutes and ahead of Burgoyne before we label him

Think the plan is Boly right centre-back. Miranda central. Hause left. With Bennett/Coady/Saiss offering cover and Batth likely to go by end of August, or maybe January, depending what kind of bid(s) we get.

This would please me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Batth did leave - he's highly-rated outside of this club and fanbase for whatever reason - but I think he'll probably stay on as captain.

Strong line up for sure.

I do think we need a bit more in terms of goals or creativity from CM if we're going this way. Ruben can't do it all on his own and Dave isn't suitable.

The young Serbian, Grujic, at Liverpool looks decent to me. Good with the ball, can bring the ball forward and is strong too.

Back