• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) - 11.02.19 - Monday Night Football

Cardiff, Huddersfield, last night, Watford off the top of my head.

You seem to be being a little bit precious to be honest, RP on the whole has been great for us, he has also made a few mistakes.

I'm not saying he hasn't. But to drop a line like "has cost the team a few goals this season" needs both a) context and b) the same standard to be applied to everyone. Next time Bennett gives away a pen or Doc switches off and let's someone run off his blindside leading directly to a goal something tells me he won't make mention of how many times they've cocked up this season.

It's a really unnecessary thing to say. Everyone knows he has made mistakes, comparatively his number is low compared to some others, however as noted when it happens to a keeper it's normally very hard, if not impossible, to avoid conceding.

Can't agree, just think you are being precious to get all stirred up over it.

Each to their own.

I agree with The Bion. It's a shit comment and absolutely no way would Timbolina make similar about Doherty.

A slight aside, but as last night was the first game I've been to for nearly a year, the difference around the place is remarkable. The subway, the SJH statue, the pre-match light show, the advertising boards etc etc. It all looks very impressive - I particularly like the light show before the game, I thought it really added to the atmosphere.

I did miss Steve Daley and his diabolical half time interviews, though.

I think this is a myth. Bennett is, and has been for some time, perceived to be the weak link in the back 3.
His tackling (for me) is frequently the best. I think he's more positionally aware than most give him credit for. I also think he has been working on his passing a lot, and has added a fair amount to his game in this regard. This is important, as if he didn't, closing down Neves and Coady as our 2 notable passers would be easy for most teams. Bennett has played both short an long passes well recently. Last night his pass accuracy was 89%, better than anyone else on the pitch. That included numerous longer passes to Raul. He also looks for Neves and Moutinho a lot.

Boly gave the ball away repeatedly in the first half. Boly has moments of class in him, but gets a huge amount of leeway imo.

agreed.

as for costa, I'm not a real fan and would be fine not seeing him play for the rest of the season, but he for the most part put in a lot of effort and won numerous corners yesterday. a bit silly to single him out, especially when he was only on for like 15 minutes or whatever it was. no criticisms for the rest of the team who also did nothing of consequence the previous 75 minutes? Costa had a decent performance on the outside and cav worked OK on the inside. it's a shame we were so shite at corners all game.

The other thing (and I am dropping this after I finish posting this) is that we already had people ruminating on Patricio being dropped for Ruddy not that long ago - I imagine that's probably gone quiet after Shrewsbury, but still. Spiers' words, rightly or wrongly, carry weight, and if Ruddy hadn't dropped an absolute clanger the other day his little comment would only help feed that narrative. He should be far more careful with his words, IMO.

The other thing (and I am dropping this after I finish posting this) is that we already had people ruminating on Patricio being dropped for Ruddy not that long ago - I imagine that's probably gone quiet after Shrewsbury, but still. Spiers' words, rightly or wrongly, carry weight, and if Ruddy hadn't dropped an absolute clanger the other day his little comment would only help feed that narrative. He should be far more careful with his words, IMO.

I find if you treat Spiers like the clueless, football knowledge pigmy he is then you'll just smile when you read his nonsense. I laugh at those defending him too. That's just me though as I don't understand why people would defend a man who hasn't a clue about football and just writes crap for clicks.

If a defender gets across to tackle a winger and knocks it out 25 yards from the corner flag you would generally be glad. When you're keeper spanners it there its annoying but should be no more dangerous. The error was the defending of the throw in and subsequent move. Oh shit its still Rui's fault LOL but the kick error shouldn't be regarded any worse than a player losing possesion.
We obviously have a plan for Rui to try and find Doc with his kicks, Nuno has watched this all season and must consider the product gained outweighs the odd throw in.

Last night I was bemused by the subs as even at 75 mins I was very positive we would still win.
Costa wasn't shit neither were Cav or Traore
Costa wasn't much cop neither were Cav or Traore.

I'm not saying he hasn't. But to drop a line like "has cost the team a few goals this season" needs both a) context and b) the same standard to be applied to everyone. Next time Bennett gives away a pen or Doc switches off and let's someone run off his blindside leading directly to a goal something tells me he won't make mention of how many times they've cocked up this season.

It's a really unnecessary thing to say. Everyone knows he has made mistakes, comparatively his number is low compared to some others, however as noted when it happens to a keeper it's normally very hard, if not impossible, to avoid conceding.

Can't agree, just think you are being precious to get all stirred up over it.

Each to their own.

I agree with The Bion. It's a shit comment and absolutely no way would Timbolina make similar about Doherty.

I find if you treat Spiers like the clueless, football knowledge pigmy he is then you'll just smile when you read his nonsense. I laugh at those defending him too. That's just me though as I don't understand why people would defend a man who hasn't a clue about football and just writes crap for clicks.

I think people frequently get annoyed by anything that doesn't fit their world view. Sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly.

These quotes show the absolute vlue of our blame game thread where we can analyse the opinions of many on here regarding each and every goal conceded. It at worst, serves as a bloody good memory jogger. Its one of my favourite threads.

Defending? I just don't understand what he has said that's controversial or that has got people triggered?

The idea that he wouldn't criticise Bennett or Doherty is an odd one too.

I think people frequently get annoyed by anything that doesn't fit their world view. Sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly.

This implies it's his opinion that irks. It isn't, it's his piss poor knowledge of football that bothers me.

A radical solution I know, but have you ever considered not reading his tweets/articles?

A radical solution I know, but have you ever considered not reading his tweets/articles?

The patronising is strong here isn't it!?

I read plenty of his tweets, articles and listen to his podcasts, and i don't think he has his favourites at all.

Playing devil's advocate here, but maybe the people who think he does have their own issues if they are desperate for certain players to get criticised?

Edit: sorry Langers, i mis-read your post. I'll leave it there for posterity though.

You look at the way he critiques Boly in a set of match ratings. Contrast it with his reaction to when Doherty had his mare against Leicester earlier in the season.

Now, I must stress this isn't me getting on Doherty's back - he has had a fine season. But the way Timbolina treats him is completely different to the other members of the first team.

I read plenty of his tweets, articles and listen to his podcasts, and i don't think he has his favourites at all.

Playing devil's advocate here, but maybe the people who think he does have their own issues if they are desperate for certain players to get criticised?

Hi Tim. I think you're as knowledgeable as custard.

I would say he does. He is a fan, so like the rest of us he has those he likes more. Certain players he has got to know well via his job as well and when they do something wrong he will be more leniant on them.

As for his comments from last night, nothing wrong in blaming Rui for the goal it was his fault but as I put earlier the wording about his kicking is wrong and misleading.

Back