• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) - 11.02.19 - Monday Night Football

While I'm at it, Spiers needs a slap for this

It's a bit of a shambles from the Portuguese keeper, who has cost Wolves a few goals this season.

I think by most estimates I read earlier in this thread it's what, 3? How many more has he saved? How many goals are other players responsible for? *pivots to the blame game thread*

Keeping mistakes generally lead to goals, that part isn't rocket science. But to vaguely wave about something like that ^ is inflammatory.

I think the bigger problem in that back 3 is Ryan Bennett. He's such a hindrance against these type of teams. They just sit off him, mark his passing lanes and wait for him to hoof it back to them.
Spot on, he's like a possession black hole at times, it's either overhit to Raul, underhit to Doc or backwards to Coady.

I think by most estimates I read earlier in this thread it's what, 3? How many more has he saved? How many goals are other players responsible for? *pivots to the blame game thread*

Keeping mistakes generally lead to goals, that part isn't rocket science. But to vaguely wave about something like that ^ is inflammatory.

To be honest, Bion, I think it is simply lazy writing from someone who isn't anywhere near as good a writer as he thinks he is, and who suffers badly from the lack of an old fashioned sub-editor

Not sure what he has said that isn't accurate? RP has cost us a few goals with mistakes?

How do you quantify "a few"? 3? 6? 10?

If you're talking about how many goals a keeper has been directly responsible for then using vague language is really not helpful

Bennett needs to be upgraded for no other reason other than he tucks his shirt in. It's weird.

We deserved at least the draw. They were pathetic, Newcastle fans must be sick to death of watching that dreary shite.

I dont think Newcastle were pathetic at all. They pressed us really well and forced us to play long balls more and more, while they grew into the game, they also began closing down our passing lanes and were alert to the threat of Doherty on the right. They also didnt give Raul much space in the second half which forced him out wide giving them time to pack out their defence.

I thought their game plan worked well tbh, you could see they were looking for a smash and grab, with Rondon the target man and he very nearly grabbed a goal too, he looked dangerous on a few occasions, creating chances from very little.

Personally, I think we need to be looking at upgrading and moving both players on in the summer.

I don't disagree with this.

I just find the singling out of Costa totally unfair. Maybe it's partly sentimentality from my side because if it weren't for Costa we could well have been playing League 1 football in 2017/18, but I just think there's such a good player in there and he really hasn't performed as badly as people keep saying. He was effective last night. Not everything came off for him, but that went for all of our players yesterday, particularly in the second half.

I don't disagree with this.

I just find the singling out of Costa totally unfair. Maybe it's partly sentimentality from my side because if it weren't for Costa we could well have been playing League 1 football in 2017/18, but I just think there's such a good player in there and he really hasn't performed as badly as people keep saying. He was effective last night. Not everything came off for him, but that went for all of our players yesterday, particularly in the second half.

Yeah but this is the premier league and to be honest you cannot have that much sentiment. You need to perform and perform well. At the start of the season both He and Jota were off form and both were dropped. Both got stick for their performances.Jota came back faster, fitter, keener and started scoring, showing the form he showed last year consistenly. Costa has shown only fleeting glimpses of the form that made him such a favourite so he is going to get flak.

I dont think constructive criticsm is singling out. Rui, Boly, Neves, Raul, Jota, Traore, have all had some flak when they havent performed, and will continue to. The difference is that many of them have had really good games, more than bad ones. Costa and Traore get stick as their poor games far outweigh their good IMHO

Not sure what he has said that isn't accurate? RP has cost us a few goals with mistakes?
The bit I don't like is the kicking the ball out every game. Now if you don't watch us that makes it sound like he is spannering balls out here there and everywhere. Either Timmy is just be lazy, doesn't understand football tactics or is just after a reaction for social media hits.

There is a reason why a lot of kicks have gone out of play. Some are down to poor execution from Rui, some down to good defending of the kicks and some down to Doc being shit with his positioning. Simple fact, until Donck came in our 1 tactic for Rui was kick it at Doc. Want to have a moan then blame the coaching but don't make it out that its 100% Rui's fault.

That said...last nights kick was 100% Rui's fault...

We would have lost this game at the start of the season so for me, that's progress.

How do you quantify "a few"? 3? 6? 10?

If you're talking about how many goals a keeper has been directly responsible for then using vague language is really not helpful

Cardiff, Huddersfield, last night, Watford off the top of my head.

You seem to be being a little bit precious to be honest, RP on the whole has been great for us, he has also made a few mistakes.

There was some 20 or so seconds between RP's kick and the goal, we need to defend that better, but he should have saved the effort, and he normally does.

Newcastle's online fanbase has by far the highest percentage of muppets in the league

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Spot on, he's like a possession black hole at times, it's either overhit to Raul, underhit to Doc or backwards to Coady.

I think this is a myth. Bennett is, and has been for some time, perceived to be the weak link in the back 3.
His tackling (for me) is frequently the best. I think he's more positionally aware than most give him credit for. I also think he has been working on his passing a lot, and has added a fair amount to his game in this regard. This is important, as if he didn't, closing down Neves and Coady as our 2 notable passers would be easy for most teams. Bennett has played both short an long passes well recently. Last night his pass accuracy was 89%, better than anyone else on the pitch. That included numerous longer passes to Raul. He also looks for Neves and Moutinho a lot.

Boly gave the ball away repeatedly in the first half. Boly has moments of class in him, but gets a huge amount of leeway imo.

Bennett needs to be upgraded for no other reason other than he tucks his shirt in. It's weird.

If I were manager, we'd have zero players pulling their socks over their knees. It is odd, and John Terry did it, which also means it is done by cunts.

goalkeeper mistakes usually end up in the team conceding a goal I guess. Hence they're very noticeable, and rather amplified in their effect.

Back