• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) - 11.02.19 - Monday Night Football

Last night our finishing let us down. Doc and Raul should both have scored and Doc's is when the score is 0-0. We have previously struggled to create chances against the bus parkers and last night we created more than enough good chances against the ultimate bus parkers. We were not at our best but still should have walked away with 2 or 3 goals.
Agreed, that wasn't anything like the previous frustrating games. The Raul of the last month or so turns up and it's a stroll. Unfortunately, not through lack of effort everything he did turned to shite, with the exception of one chance he made for himself cutting in which the keeper pushed out and got the luck with it dropping clear.

On Traore, when he comes on in those positions he does get double marked, so even if he is ineffective himself theoretically it could open up space elsewhere.

The usual 4 should set upon their own WhatsApp Group for matches where they can just say "Costa's shit" a lot and save everyone else having to wade through it, it's tedious.

Agreed, that wasn't anything like the previous frustrating games. The Raul of the last month or so turns up and it's a stroll. Unfortunately, not through lack of effort everything he did turned to shite, with the exception of one chance he made for himself cutting in which the keeper pushed out and got the luck with it dropping clear.

On Traore, when he comes on in those positions he does get double marked, so even if he is ineffective himself theoretically it could open up space elsewhere.

The usual 4 should set upon their own WhatsApp Group for matches where they can just say "Costa's shit" a lot and save everyone else having to wade through it, it's tedious.

But he was.

Agree with the rest of your post tho. We looked clumsy at the last third, always missing the final pass for this and that. One of those games it seems.

If he's shit we'll say so. Get over it.

He was shit.

Even Timmy says he was shit, and he loves him to bits

Helder Costa (for Dendoncker, 68)
No shots, no completed dribbles, no key passes and only 13 touches of the ball (and six passes) in his 22 minutes. With Wolves chasing the game he had to be doing more. 5/10

Also, we might have been better off if Jonny went to the right and Vinny to the left, on the last half hour.

Don't think traore did a lot, except for that weird cross that luckily turned into a goal

I'm surprised how many of you are saying Newcastle were shite. I thought they were worthy of a point and played some good stuff at times although the only time Rui was ever really tested was when he made a complete mess of their goal.

I thought we played well enough too. Some of Raul's touches were sublime but it just wasn't his night when it came to finishing. I was impressed with Jota once again, he must be such a pain to play against. Did I see him signal to the bench before he came off? Hopefully he hasn't got a knock.

I'm not one for slagging Costa off but I thought he was poor last night. I would rather see Traore brought on before him and I was delighted he got an assist (even if it was an awful cross!)

I'd be fuming if I was a Newcastle fan to have thrown it away like that, it was such a shit goal :icon_lol: Made it all the sweeter though!

Who are “the usual 4”?

I think vinagre has to be ahead of Costa now when we're bringing subs on

Jota once again, he must be such a pain to play against. Did I see him signal to the bench before he came off? !

He asked to come off. He took a hefty whack and was hobbling and signalled to the bench to sub him.

Costa was just underwhelming last night rather than some of the pathetic performances we've seen from him this season, when he first came on and closed down the Newcastle defender to win a corner I thought we might have a bit of fight from him for a change but then he just seemed to disappear from the game for a while after that. Whilst still not great he did at least force a few corners when he popped up on the left hand side, perhaps that's a better avenue to explore if going back to the 343 at any point now, play the wide players on their natural sides rather than inverted like it was last season. Traore is only really functional when he's stuck out on the right and perhaps simplifying things for Costa by playing him on the left and just having a go round the outside of the fullback might prove more fruitful for him.

Cavaleiro wasn't really anymore effective than Costa last night, he showed plenty of endeavour which probably does enough to help him escape as much criticism but nothing he tried really came to anything.

Good post that Mark, both Costa and Traore are wingers. We don't really play with wingers, but they both should be a good option to come on when we need to change our tactics. Ultimately it did work out well last night, despite Costa not having the best of games (the pretend injury after being caught putting his boot on annoyed me ever so slightly)

Agree entirely. Costa and Cav played broadly the same, that is they huffed and puffed but were broadly ineffective and we lost our attacking fluidity with their introduction.

Costa was no worse than Cav and in fact, as noted above - won about three corners.

I'm surprised how many of you are saying Newcastle were shite. !

They are shite but not in a terrible collection of players shite but because their manager sends them out to be shite.

They have some really decent players and a manager using them properly has them sitting in the group of teams we are in. For some reason Rafa has decided he has a team that would struggle in L2 so sets them to be so negative. It is embarrassing but he seems to get the sympathy of the fans and the media. Everyone at that club is so focused on Ashley that they are missing the utter fraud in their dug out.

Well 12 hours later and time to reflect a bit on the events of the evening. I have to say I quite enjoyed the game in a masochistic way. Overall on the attack we created plenty of opportunities. It really was “One of those nights” for Raul, but they happen. I still think him and Jota up front have such an understanding that it scares defences to death regardless of what else they do. Add to that their goal threat and you can see why their ratings have soared recently. Again, on another night Jota gets a goal too. Newcastle’s keeper was excellent for 94 minutes and 50 seconds then had a horrible flap at the cross. It seemed to go through his hands. If he goes for a punch Newcastle win. Fine margins.

Neves wasn’t great. Moutinho did well at times despite close attention and Jonny/ Doc looked fine on the wing. Crossing was not great from either though. Well done Adama for the cross. Gets him an assist. Costa contributed little. His form is both a real worry and a disappointment. He did show the speed is still there but the confidence is shot. Shame.

Newcastle’s goal. What a crock of shit. Rui kicks so poorly at times. That was truly awful concedes possession well into your own half. Boly was sleeping and got caught out” not for the first time Wily, wakey wakey). Patricio tries to anticipate the shot, dives the wrong way and pushes it into his net. He will be buying drinks for players this week as that was crap. He is prone to bouts of real crapness. We have had three goals , the free kick v Huddersfield, the equaliser at Cardiff and now this one last night that are 100% down to his decision making or lack of concentration. I accept that a keeper will always make the odd mistake so I will forgive him those. I wont forgive his shit kicking. He needs to be out there with Coady spraying passes left and right footed until he improves. Every game there are 1,2,3 times his kicking goes awry. It was only a matter of time before it cost us a goal. He got lucky re Leicester and Vardy to lets not forget. He is lauded as one of the best keepers in the league and borderline world class. So his kicking needs to match that expectation. At the moment its nearer Sunday league than premier league. Sort it Rui. It will bring confidence to the rest of the team.

Before the game I would have taken a point. Newcastle are better away from home than at home and defensively usually sound. Having won at their place doing the double is very hard as I have said before. Only West Ham this season for us. Palace came with a plan and executed it. The Toon went for a similar approach. When they took the lead I would definitely take a point! That said I 100% think we deserved at least a point. That was not a shit performance a la Huddersfield by any means. On another day we score 3.

They are shite but not in a terrible collection of players shite but because their manager sends them out to be shite.

They have some really decent players and a manager using them properly has them sitting in the group of teams we are in. For some reason Rafa has decided he has a team that would struggle in L2 so sets them to be so negative. It is embarrassing but he seems to get the sympathy of the fans and the media. Everyone at that club is so focused on Ashley that they are missing the utter fraud in their dug out.

I was just expecting them to be a lot more negative than they were. They had a couple of spells where they were dominating rather than just sticking 10 men behind the ball. Maybe it was just a case of them exceeding my low expectations rather than playing well!

I was just expecting them to be a lot more negative than they were. They had a couple of spells where they were dominating rather than just sticking 10 men behind the ball. Maybe it was just a case of them exceeding my low expectations rather than playing well!

Agree. I watched at home last night and I was thinking they aren't playing that bad really. Maybe it's the low expectation.

I agree with this entirely. Benitez is the biggest fraud in the league. Big fat tart, more excuses than Alan Pardew.

Well I wouldn't have taken a point before the game! That sounds like a daft thing to say TBQH. We're a much better side than Newcastle who really didn't threaten very much. We should have come away with a clean sheet but we shot ourselves in the foot with their goal.

I didn't think we were going to get anything after that happened but this Wolves side just does not give up. The ridiculous amount of goals we've scored in injury time is no fluke - we kept on going, even though the ball wasn't falling for us. Raul had an off day - he could and probably should have had a couple of goals, Doherty should have scored etc.

First time I've seen Traore live. Well he's a bit different, isn't he? :icon_lol: Still - he can add an assist to his portfolio, despite it being one of the worst deliveries we saw all night. And it made Rafa the Fraud seethe so it's all good for me.

MOTM Jonny. A superb player and I'm so pleased he's signed permanently. We've got a bargain.

Also - first match for nearly a year and I had a great evening. I really miss it, awesome to see so many forum folks in attendance. The only downside was being jumped on by a random bloke when Boly scored. My back is in bits today!

We were basically inviting them the come forward . Hoping to drag a player or 2 out of position and hit them if we won possession.

They have a manager stealing a living.

Well I wouldn't have taken a point before the game! That sounds like a daft thing to say TBQH. We're a much better side than Newcastle who really didn't threaten very much. We should have come away with a clean sheet but we shot ourselves in the foot with their goal.

They may nick a point as its hard to do the double over any side unless youre one of the big six. Statistically its much less likely. I wouldnt cry if they nicked a point. My only worry would be if they start Monday in the bottom three! Then I would get a bit twitchy. Play as we can do and we should have too much offensively for them.

This is what I posted at post 12 of this thread. Cant really change my mind after the fact can i

Back