• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) - 11.02.19 - Monday Night Football

All the pissing about and time wasting plus, remember the Newcastle fans not returning the ball and throwing around the stand?
Well that just bit them on the arse!

They made the sub bang on 90 mins. There was a camera on the ref, as the sub took almost a minute. Ref said to Neves there would be 4 mins remaining after the substitution had been completed.

Agree entirely. Costa and Cav played broadly the same, that is they huffed and puffed but were broadly ineffective and we lost our attacking fluidity with their introduction.

Costa was no worse than Cav and in fact, as noted above - won about three corners.

Exactly. Costa was direct, kept the ball, won corners and put some balls in from the left when he was over there. Cav also kept the ball and put some balls in. He won no corners. Yet somehow everyone slags off Costa.

A few things that annoyed me from the last night but the biggest annoyance comes from after the game. The amount of people, inc pundits, who still don't get time added on and the fact the time displayed is the MINIMUM that will be added on, not the exact amount of time.
As soon as 4 mins went up, Newcastle made a sub that took nearly a minute. The ref even gestured he had stopped his watch during this. We then scored nearly a minute after the 4 mins had passed.

Should have read this prior to posting the above.

Other comments, Jonny is fucking amazing. He gets better every game i see him in.

Controversial post time. A respected poster/supporter who I spoke to earlier this season described Boly as a deluxe Stearman. At the time I laughed, but the mental image has stuck, and last night, goal aside, I could see where this view came from. I thought he was poor in the first half, too many passes went to newcastle players, and I apportion more blame to him than Patricio for the goal. He was way too far away from Hayden.

I await a 6 month ban from the kennster...

Exactly. Costa was direct, kept the ball, won corners and put some balls in from the left when he was over there. Cav also kept the ball and put some balls in. He won no corners. Yet somehow everyone slags off Costa.

Personally, I think we need to be looking at upgrading and moving both players on in the summer.

I await a 6 month ban from the kennster...

6 months? You are getting life

On the goal, Boly steps out to go towards Schar (?) as no has bothered to track him and that leaves Hayden with the freedom of Molineux. Still all on Rui though. Maybe a lack of concentration, but he guessed the shot based on Hayden's body shape and when the shot didn't go across him he has no chance to adjust.

Personally, I think we need to be looking at upgrading and moving both players on in the summer.

I love Costa and Cav but I don't disagree. Both are capable of more than they're showing (particularly Costa) but we need to be ruthless.

I'd bin Traore over both of them though. Such a strange signing and such a strange player.

I think comparing Boly to Stearman even a deluxe version is way off, I think Boly is one of the best CB's outside the top 6.

He makes the odd error as with anyone but a player as good at defending along with being as good on the ball as he is (plus chipping in with goals) would cost an absolute fortune on the transfer market.

The only similarity between Stearman and Boly is that they both have a 5 on their back.

Otherwise, get out of town!

Think people are overdoing it a bit on Rui's kicking last night. We were playing it back to him a *lot* in the 1st half and he was fine (well, comparatively - he's not picking people out 60 yards down the field but he was getting decentish distance and never looked like he was in trouble or going to fall over the ball)

Ironically the cockup he had came not from trying to clear it but trying to pick out a pass to Doc on the wing. Think he overextended himself with that and it obviously went wrong after that.

I love Costa and Cav but I don't disagree. Both are capable of more than they're showing (particularly Costa) but we need to be ruthless.

I'd bin Traore over both of them though. Such a strange signing and such a strange player.

You are probably right in regards to Traore, I am not sure where he fits in. However, for some reason I can't help but like the bloke and keep wanting him to do well!

Think people are overdoing it a bit on Rui's kicking last night. We were playing it back to him a *lot* in the 1st half and he was fine (well, comparatively - he's not picking people out 60 yards down the field but he was getting decentish distance and never looked like he was in trouble or going to fall over the ball)

Ironically the cockup he had came not from trying to clear it but trying to pick out a pass to Doc on the wing. Think he overextended himself with that and it obviously went wrong after that.

The annoying part of that kick though is he could have taken a touch. No need for him to go for the quick pass when under no real pressure.

I actually thought the Newcastle keeper was worse at kicking than Rui. He never looked comfy with the ball at his feet

The annoying part of that kick though is he could have taken a touch. No need for him to go for the quick pass when under no real pressure.

I actually thought the Newcastle keeper was worse at kicking than Rui. He never looked comfy with the ball at his feet

Agree on both of these!

Patricio's kicking was noticeably worse for about a month during the season but is generally okay at the moment. But seeing as he want through a really dodgy patch I think we are very wary of where it can go wrong.

You are probably right in regards to Traore, I am not sure where he fits in. However, for some reason I can't help but like the bloke and keep wanting him to do well!

I want every Wolves player to do well, but I really wouldn't lose any sleep if we got rid of him tomorrow. He's by far the weirdest signing we've made under Nuno.

A small point on kicking, but there were two or three moments last night when we could have moved the ball out more quickly from the back had Conor Coady kicked with his left foot, but he always took an extra touch so he kick with his right. Like everyone else, I love the guy to bits, but that was just a small point I noticed last night that seemed to slow us down a bit

A small point on kicking, but there were two or three moments last night when we could have moved the ball out more quickly from the back had Conor Coady kicked with his left foot, but he always took an extra touch so he kick with his right. Like everyone else, I love the guy to bits, but that was just a small point I noticed last night that seemed to slow us down a bit
I think the bigger problem in that back 3 is Ryan Bennett. He's such a hindrance against these type of teams. They just sit off him, mark his passing lanes and wait for him to hoof it back to them.

I would prefer Rui to take an extra touch every time. He does that and his kicking is fine...he doesn't and well, he does what he did last night and gives possession back to the opposition

We deserved at least the draw. They were pathetic, Newcastle fans must be sick to death of watching that dreary shite.

We deserved at least the draw. They were pathetic, Newcastle fans must be sick to death of watching that dreary shite.

but they love Rafa. How they play is all down to Ashley apparently

I liked this from the Telegraph's review of the game:

Nuno Espirito Santo’s team had dominated for much of the match yet displayed the cutting edge of a plastic spatula

Back