• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) - 11.02.19 - Monday Night Football

And that is why VAR if it has to come in, can only be on matters of fact. Opinion cannot be involved.

Isn't the offside rule applied when the ball is last touched by another player? It would be amazing for a player to dive in front of a defender just before the ball is crossed and still be able to head it in.

And that is why VAR if it has to come in, can only be on matters of fact. Opinion cannot be involved.

What rules/laws are really based on a ref's opinion, though? Ideally.

What rules/laws are really based on a ref's opinion, though? Ideally.

None. You are taught that you follow the letter of the Law and "personal opinion" SHOULDN'T come in to it...

Isn't the offside rule applied when the ball is last touched by another player? It would be amazing for a player to dive in front of a defender just before the ball is crossed and still be able to head it in.

Not really, ball could be flicked on from a yard away.

Let me play devils advocate in response:

For many, many people, seeing their team score a goal might the genuine highlight of their week (or month!). The release, the ecstasy, the passion all tied-up in that momentary event. Never quite knowing if a goal will stand, or if there will be a word in the referees ear, could diminish that if VAR is not implemented sympathetically and only when absolutely necessary.

So while I hear what you say about competitions being worth "millions", the financial value of any competition pales into insignificance when compared against the diminished joy associated with all future goals, ever. Even if there is only a 2% difference, that 2% is a priceless loss to the sport.

I'm sorry, MobNet. Didn't see your post before now.

While I understand what you mean, very few goals are checked in reality and it doesn't diminish the goal a lot. I've had experience with VAR analysis at Benfica matches and it works better in reality than on paper.

Most of the VAR, relating to goals, are noticeable as soon as they occur, possible fouls or offsides. The rest of the VAR actions don't detract the rhythm or flow of the game as they only occur when the game is paused.

Back