• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

love/hate thy neighbours?

I think with Villa this season we represent a challenge to the throne, that's why it's intensifying, during our heyday Villa won an odd FA Cup in 1956/57 whilst we won leagues, cups and had European adventures, that's where their respect grew for us, likewise having being there we had a respect for Villa winning cups, leagues and European titles in the mid 70's and early 80's whilst we won the odd cup.

Even with their limited success since then they've ruled the roost while we dropped through the leagues and floundered at this level, with their own issues it's the only thing they have left and now here we are with billionaire owners and represent a genuine threat to that dominance... it's going to get worse as we get better.

In a 442 Foster, Dawson, Evans, Gibbs, Jay Rod and a nominally fit Sturridge would get in our team.
In a 343 Foster, Evans and maybe J Rod.

Foster has been dreadful this season, I'd genuinely rather have Ruddy at this point. Dawson is a thug too, horrible player.

Only ones I'd genuinely want are Evans and Krychowiak (he's not done that well for them but it's clear what he is capable of from previous clubs).

I'd rather have the likes of Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed etc in the top flight than Watford/Bournemouth/Swansea because the size of the club dictates that they have more chance of breaking into the top six one day and creating more competition. Clubs who struggle to get 20k through the door aren't going to reach that level and over time they end up just doing enough to survive, which is a crap spectacle for everyone.

Quite right. TV money, though, innit? In the old days, big club = big crowd = big money. Now gate receipts are irrelevant so you get Sunday league clubs like Bournemouth who can barely scrape 5-figure attendances dining at the top table.

Surely if you were old fashioned then Huddersfield would be a PL stalwart? They have nearly as many trophies as us and more than the Albion.

I was thinking similar, although, like DDW, I don't 'feel' it. Slightly less old fashioned, though still older than most on here, might consider Blackpool and PNE still to be sleeping giants. Then again, for almost 20 years Coventry were top-tier ever-presents, though few would think of them in that way now. I think it's a combination of oral tradition (passed down from older family members, perhaps) personal memory and recent performance, so possibly different for everyone, but having the likes of those DDW and DW mention in the Premier League just doesn't sit right with me either. One I can't make up my mind about is Southampton. Established 1885 but won almost nothing, and no one would miss them, but they always seem to be at the party.

When I was little Leeds were the Everton of a few years ago, always sitting just behind the top pack. If anyone I would say someone like them "should" be in the top flight

I don't mind Albion, I've always found them to be decent fans apart from the idiots the BCD brings out (along with our own). Its Stoke I can't stand and would love to see them relegated above anyone else - which perhaps indicates that I come from mid Staffordshire!

Having family members that are Wolves, Albion, Villa, and Blues fans makes it quite interesting.Whatever League we are all in it makes for interesting banter.

The Albion family member was raised as a Wolf. Not quite sure what happened there :icon_lol:

Living in Gornal its 60% Wolves and 35% Blue and white stripe glory hunters and 5% claret and blue glory hunters.
I have discounted a smattering of Man U Chelsea Arsenal plastics.
Villa have been in the top division a long time (although I have watched them play in the third division) and always been decent fans.
The shit on the other hand have become so smug and clever because they have been in the premiership a longish time they really are insufferable. Funny how they have quietenned down a bit now if you even mention football you're boring or always going on about it (except they've got a gold medal in going on about it previously).
With the success some of us expect areas like ours could be almost 100% Wolves. If we consolidate these areas and steal a few Tiptonians and Tividalians etc.
Our catchment area on the west side is more fluid than most realise. One bus down the new road to Wolves.
So if Albion dont come back up for ten years and we play in Europe :crossfingers:we could take 30% of their fans (7000 more match goers more because this would be in a success scenario) and help their demise.
They never shut up about the collection buckets outside the Hawthorns where they saved us with their donations from going broke.

Having family members that are Wolves, Albion, Villa, and Blues fans makes it quite interesting.Whatever League we are all in it makes for interesting banter.

The Albion family member was raised as a Wolf. Not quite sure what happened there :icon_lol:
Badly informed Glory Hunting

I don't get the 'local rivals stuff' You have more in common with fans from the surrounding area most likely, than you do those in your town that either dislike, hate or just aren't fussed about either football or the team.

I don't get the 'local rivals stuff' You have more in common with fans from the surrounding area most likely, than you do those in your town that either dislike, hate or just aren't fussed about either football or the team.

Rivals is the key word.

By the same token, haven't you been absolutely desperate for us to beat Wednesday and the Blades over the last couple of months...

Badly informed Glory Hunting

Maybe. Or that he and his bedroom were always decked out in Black n Gold from an early age which made him turn to the dark side.

Must admit though, his impression of a Wolves fan being interviewed has had me in creases.

As a Stafford resident I can't wait to see Stoke relegated. They are our only real rivals here and I long for the day that once again Old Gold shirt massively outnumber red and white stripes. It's incredible how many of their fans never went to games before they were in the PL. Let them disappear back to where they came from.

As for Albion, the BCD is horrible and with games against the so-called Big Six to come that's more than enough to look forward to.

If Villa don't get up this year I'd love to see how low their crowds become with a few seasons sat mid-table in the Championship.

As a Stafford resident I can't wait to see Stoke relegated. They are our only real rivals here and I long for the day that once again Old Gold shirt massively outnumber red and white stripes. It's incredible how many of their fans never went to games before they were in the PL. Let them disappear back to where they came from.

As for Albion, the BCD is horrible and with games against the so-called Big Six to come that's more than enough to look forward to.

If Villa don't get up this year I'd love to see how low their crowds become with a few seasons sat mid-table in the Championship.

They will probably be alright they are a big club, huge fan base.

Aston Villa 1971/2 Div 3 (champions) average 31,952
Wolves 1971/2 Div 1 (9th) average 28,221
WBA 1971/2 Div 1 (16th) average 25,786

Back in the Top division 1975/6 they (16th) got 38,874 we had a shit year got relegated (20th) 22,957

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm <-----my goto attendance stats site

No problems with Villa.
Albion can go - I don't care for the BCD.
Stoke can go - Read their forum if you want a laugh at the moment. They are on suicide watch.
Blues to be relegated would be the best thing.

They will probably be alright they are a big club, huge fan base.

Aston Villa 1971/2 Div 3 (champions) average 31,952
Wolves 1971/2 Div 1 (9th) average 28,221
WBA 1971/2 Div 1 (16th) average 25,786

Back in the Top division 1975/6 they (16th) got 38,874 we had a $#@! year got relegated (20th) 22,957

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm <-----my goto attendance stats site

Easy to support a team that end up Champions. Mid-table Championship for a few seasons is a different kettle of fish.

Easy to support a team that end up Champions. Mid-table Championship for a few seasons is a different kettle of fish.

Got to factor in as well that they'll have at least two generations of fans now who don't remember anything other than top flight football for the entire time they've been supporting Villa (I'm 37 in a couple of months and just about remember them going up from Division Two under Taylor). Changes the landscape somewhat.

The novelty of playing Brentford and Millwall is there for a couple of years but when you're perpetually labouring to 0-0s against them and the team declines year on year (as it would if they got stuck here, given their financial position), attendances won't stand up.

Remember they've already had the Trinity Upper entirely closed for most games this season.

One of my best friends is an Albion fan. His son was good friends with my son so I used to often take both boys to Wolves matches with me - so my mates son is now a season ticket holding Wolves fan!

Back