• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

love/hate thy neighbours?

I think Villa this season was a completely different one to Blues at home last season or any BCD atmosphere. Because its a different sort of rivalry.

Blues and Albion games are toxic, hate filled affairs that I can't stand.

Maybe over time the Villa fixture will be similar as the rivalry intensifies but I hope not.

Agree that the Villa derbies have a different feel to the Blues and definitely Albion games but if you take the game and the game only then the atmosphere is fantastic imo. Yes it's hate filled and bad words are said but the atmosphere is electric. I understand why some don't like it and yes you get the bullshit before and after the game which i'm not a fan of but for that 90 minutes it's great.

On top of that we owe them one and i'd love for us to beat them. Like i said though there's also a part of me that does want us to be the only Midland club in the Premier League because then we can be the ones those clubs are looking up at.

I think Villa this season was a completely different one to Blues at home last season or any BCD atmosphere. Because its a different sort of rivalry.

Blues and Albion games are toxic, hate filled affairs that I can't stand.

Maybe over time the Villa fixture will be similar as the rivalry intensifies but I hope not.
I think the difference with Villa is we have spent so long in their shadow it feels more like a cup game than a local derby than Blues or Albion does. I think if they were to both go up and Albion down that'd change over the next year or so.

Never really feel that the atmosphere is particularly charged or special against Blues. The odd isolated game here and there maybe (the classic in 1996 being one) but in general...nah. It gets nasty if you're not careful where you're walking pre/post match, within the ground I can't say that it's electric.

Back in 2000/01 we actually got a sub-20k gate for our home game against them. This season their attendance at St Andrews was equally pitiful. It's not an especially massive rivalry, they're just a horrible club, like Bolton.

Was talking about just the Albion games there to clear it up. I can't stand Blues to be fair and would gladly not play them again, their fans don't turn up(empty seats everywhere the last 2 years) and St Andrews is a shithole. It does have a different feel to it than the Villa games though which i would say is because like Tony says Villa have been a lot better than us for as long as i can remember until the last 2 years.

It's just everything around the BCD as well. Stupid 12 O'clock kick off, shit "banter" in the build up and even shitter "banter" after the game. Really, fuck them and I hope they drop straight through to League one for a bit of a reality check

Was talking about just the Albion games there to clear it up. I can't stand Blues to be fair and would gladly not play them again, their fans don't turn up(empty seats everywhere the last 2 years) and St Andrews is a shithole. It does have a different feel to it than the Villa games though which i would say is because like Tony says Villa have been a lot better than us for as long as i can remember until the last 2 years.

To be fair Albion have been better than us for a long time!

We haven't finished above them when we've been in the same division since 1999/2000. They've got 12 Premier League seasons to our four, and an FA Cup semi-final along the way too. We haven't won at The Hawthorns since September 1996.

Never really feel that the atmosphere is particularly charged or special against Blues. The odd isolated game here and there maybe (the classic in 1996 being one) but in general...nah. It gets nasty if you're not careful where you're walking pre/post match, within the ground I can't say that it's electric.

Back in 2000/01 we actually got a sub-20k gate for our home game against them. This season their attendance at St Andrews was equally pitiful. It's not an especially massive rivalry, they're just a horrible club, like Bolton.
I would agree with the atmosphere v Blues, it's only the things before and after it that make it different from a normal game. If you go on the train it's probably the most intimidating away game because of their stupid compound that puts an arrow on your head as you walk out. Not been to the Albion for years, they used to have a ramp that was similar, but the difference was you'd walk into the Rainbow Stand crowd rather than the Brummy Road whereas at Blues it's the Kop

Anyway, it all looks irrelevant now for Albion. I think the chances of a BCD next season are rapidly approaching nil.

Fucking excellent. I hope they go the way of when Kenny fucks about on Championship manager editor.

Albion are fucked this season, they are done. Won't be disappointed at all to have no BCD next year.

Albion will.not stay up however i would be delighted if the stayed up for next season.

Ideally I would.like to smash them 5-0 at their place.
Then at Molineux last match of the season a draw keepa them up.
It's 1-1 when the board for 4 minutes extra goes up.
They time waste a touch then in the 95th minute we pop up with a last kick winner that sends them down.

That would be fantastic.

Villa to stay down and slide in to financial peril
Blues to be relegated
Stoke to be relegated this season
Walsall to drop in to the the national league

Have I missed any one

I'd love Albion to stay up so we can put right the last few times they've beaten us.

I want Villa to stay down because they have a bit too much self importance in that they've been in the Prem for a while, so a good length of time in the Championship will do them all good and teach them some humility.... And they have Steve Bruce too.

I can imagine if we go up and make a decent splash we'll all be insufferable to other Midlands fans too.

I want Blues to go down because they're just a horrible small club with horrible fans who thing they're better than they are. A bit like WalsallMAX.

The wolves v blues match last season was absolutely horrendous not only as a match but as a spectator too -
sitting in Steve bull upper - projectiles being thrown up by the blues fans quite often and creating a serious element of danger was unforgivable. The sooner they get marooned in league 1 or 2 the better

(Saying that I've no doubt we had some idiots throwing stuff down on them but was too busy trying to not get hit to care)

Don’t mind Albion or Villa, all the fans I know of both clubs are decent people. I enjoy the friendly banter with them too.

I may or may not have a different feeling and thoughts if I lived south of Wolverhampton rather than north.

Can’t stand Blues, horrible club, horrible fans, horrible owners and a horrible place. I think there’s probably only a couple of their fans that I know are decent blokes.

Langers and I had a conversation about Villa and Albion on Twitter - very strange responses by some because we didn’t really care about Villa or Albion.

I think the rival between our fans and Villa fans will intensify if we stay in the same league for extended period of time.

Don’t mind Albion or Villa, all the fans I know of both clubs are decent people. I enjoy the friendly banter with them too.

I may or may not have a different feeling and thoughts if I lived south of Wolverhampton rather than north.

Can’t stand Blues, horrible club, horrible fans, horrible owners and a horrible place. I think there’s probably only a couple of their fans that I know are decent blokes.

Langers and I had a conversation about Villa and Albion on Twitter - very strange responses by some because we didn’t really care about Villa or Albion.

I think the rival between our fans and Villa fans will intensify if we stay in the same league for extended period of time.

The issue with Villa is being exacerbated by social media and WM. There has always been a healthy respect between the 2 biggest clubs in the West Midlands. Even in the 70's there was little to no animosity.

Whats building it now is Villa Fans posts on twitter, Facebook, Mr potato head, and the owners comments about our transfer policy.

The issue with Villa is being exacerbated by social media and WM. There has always been a healthy respect between the 2 biggest clubs in the West Midlands. Even in the 70's there was little to no animosity.

Whats building it now is Villa Fans posts on twitter, Facebook, Mr potato head, and the owners comments about our transfer policy.

Yeah, I agree.

Never have liked anything to do with Blues.

Never had a problem with the majority of Albion fans. My current neighbour is keeping her head down this year though!

Villa used to be fine as well. It just appears that some trashy talk ( incorrect in many cases) has intensified the rivalry. That said us Derby and Villa going up would mean Colin and Brizzle staying put so every cloud and all that.

In the current situation I'd be happy if Wolves are the only premiership club for 50 miles! Nothing against Derby or Villa but with Fosun and Mendes we've a chance to really establish ourselves as the biggest Midlands team.

Have no problem with Villa coming up with us I think the so called rivalry we dilute again if we’re both back in the PL.
Wolves and Villa have never had any real bad blood between them and this will blow over once this season is done.
Don’t want the BCD as many have said match day is no fun, vile atmosphere half the city blocked off no pubs open and kicking off at 1200 on a Sunday.
As for Stoke couldn’t care less don’t know any stoke fans.
Blues at of all the teams near by I dislike the most,
As I’ve said before WM phone in and a few on Twitter are responsible for the angst between wolves and Villa both sets of fans are as bad as each other.

My boss was born in Wolverhampton but is a Stoke City season ticket holder. All of his family are Stoke fans (including his mum who still lives in Wolverhampton), but all of his mates are Wolves fans. He’s taken enormous pleasure in the gulf between the two clubs over the last decade or so, and I regularly see him taking the piss out of his Wolves supporting mates on social media. But he’s one of those annoying fans that plays it all down when the boots on the other foot. When we beat them in the cup last season he made out he knew it would happen, basically shielding himself from any banter/abuse. I want Stoke gone because of him. But also because they play shit, unattractive football.

Never minded Villa, to be honest. Likewise with Albion, although that’s mainly down to me not living in the area and getting caught up with all the local rivalry. Not a fan of Blues at all and I hope they go down.

I guess if I could choose, I’d like Fulham to come up with us, mainly because it’s such a cracking away day.

Quite like Villa, and whilst Bruce isn't a great manager I always think he is a decent person so I would like them to come up with us.

Couldn't care less for Blues as a club but Cotterill is one of life's utter cunts and I hope he takes them down. Same with Albion really, they have the odd fan I've worked with in the past who are insufferable truncheons but it's Pardew, his smug grin and the fact he's one of the shittest managers I've ever seen and yes I include both Dean Saunders and Darren Ferguson in that. Don't care for the BCD either, I've never found the atmosphere anything other than poisonous and the 'fans' of both teams behave like utter pricks for the entire week before and after. Better off without it IMO.

I have family who are Stoke fans and it would be nice to go to an away game I could easily get tickets for but many of my friends up here are Vale fans so just for them I'd like Stoke to be relegated.

Back