• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

love/hate thy neighbours?

In the current situation I'd be happy if Wolves are the only premiership club for 50 miles! Nothing against Derby or Villa but with Fosun and Mendes we've a chance to really establish ourselves as the biggest Midlands team.

I agree with this, if Villa fail to gain promotion this season they could fall apart next summer, Wolves gaining additional fans over the next decade. Likewise Albion going down and imploding, its an opportunity to take advantage of and from which Wolves can grow. Let Wolves be the Midlands powerbase.

Shit on the Villa way more than Shit on the Albion. Not sure why, probably as I grew up with several Albion fans, pleasant rivalry? Bham I couldn't care less about and Stoke I just enjoy laughing at.

I'm sick to death of Albion fans lording it over us for the past few years, so I definitely want them to go down - an implosion and second relegation to follow would be the icing on the cake. Villa I wouldn't really mind either way, except the dad of my son-in-law is a Villa fan who has come out of his closet in recent weeks and every time I see him on his facebook page lately, he's wearing his Villa shirt (although you can see where the moths have been eating away at it while it's been in the closet), so just for that I wouldn't mind them missing out on promotion. Birmingham, as most people on here seem to agree with, are a terrible club all round and probably would do them good to have a spell in League 1. I'd never been a fan of Stoke under Pulis and although they have improved a little under Hughes, I still wouldn't mind them going down just to wipe a little of the smugness of their fans' faces.

So, no, I don't need any local rivalry in the Prem - I want Wolves to be the undisputed champions of Midlands football. :)

Don't like Tony Xia, really don't like Steve Bruce and Villa are boned if they stay down so they can fuck off. If they didn't have a lunatic owner and a manager who saw fit to talk such utter fucking rot all the time then I wouldn't really mind.

This is how I feel about Villa too. I've never really paid them any mind previously, but their owner, manager and fans have come out with a load of bollocks this season so I really hope they don't go up and suffer the financial consequences next season. Plus, they have cunts like Terry playing for them.

If all of Villa, Cardiff & Bristol missed out on promotion this season I'd be absolutely delighted.

As for Albion, I hope they go down. I don't hate them but they have been able to look down on us for a while now so fuck them. Plus, I'd happily have another season without the BCD.

Birmingham are one of the only clubs I really hate. A shitty club with really shitty fans. I've never met a Blues fan that wasn't a cunt. Their manager is an utter bellend too.

Stoke, I don't really care about. I'd rather someone like Bournemouth or West Ham went down than them.

In the current situation I'd be happy if Wolves are the only premiership club for 50 miles! Nothing against Derby or Villa but with Fosun and Mendes we've a chance to really establish ourselves as the biggest Midlands team.

With Fosun and Mendes we'd have a chance to do that even if there were 20 Midlands teams in the PL. I'd far sooner see proper clubs like Villa and Derby there than pretenders like Bournemouth. Often there's better away support too, when clubs are closer, so a better atmosphere.

DV6On8hX4AA3wUM.jpg

Oops.

I don't mind the Albion. Although the BCD is horrific, generally as a bunch they're generally decent. Same with Villa - they at least have some history to be occasionally smug about.

Stoke are the next rung down for me, and Birmingham City are down there with Bolton in terms of scutty no-mark clubs with a serious smugness complex. They can get disbanded.

Does anyone actually care about Walsall? At all?

Call me old fashioned, but tbh I have always regarded Villa as a PL team. And Albion are pretty much established in the top flight over the last few years, so I would rather see both in the PL, over the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield.

I don't have any particular reason or evidence for why, I just don't feel like the teams I have mentioned "belong" in the PL.

I don't mind the Albion. Although the BCD is horrific, generally as a bunch they're generally decent. Same with Villa - they at least have some history to be occasionally smug about.

Stoke are the next rung down for me, and Birmingham City are down there with Bolton in terms of scutty no-mark clubs with a serious smugness complex. They can get disbanded.

Nope.

I remember when we played them in League 1 and just how fired up their fans were.

There was the JPT game when I walked from the Western to the ground and walked past about 20 Walsall fans - none of whom looked older than 15 - who were accompanied by several police officers. The fans were singing "we're taking over your town". One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

But my favourite Walsall moment has to be poor Lindsay on WM after the game at Bescot. One of the highlights of the season :icon_lol:

I don't mind Walsall, been to a few of their games when Wolves haven't been playing. I suppose it similar to me going to Stafford Rangers or Penkridge Town...

Call me old fashioned, but tbh I have always regarded Villa as a PL team. And Albion are pretty much established in the top flight over the last few years, so I would rather see both in the PL, over the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield.

I don't have any particular reason or evidence for why, I just don't feel like the teams I have mentioned "belong" in the PL.

Surely if you were old fashioned then Huddersfield would be a PL stalwart? They have nearly as many trophies as us and more than the Albion.

Nope, no bigger club than Kiddie Harriers.

Surely if you were old fashioned then Huddersfield would be a PL stalwart? They have nearly as many trophies as us and more than the Albion.

I was thinking about the PL. Obviously my comment is open to interpretation, as I said, I have no evidence to back up how I feel, maybe it's because I grew up in the 90's when the PL was established, but I have never felt like Huddersfield were a Prem team compared with Villa or Albion.

I was thinking about the PL. Obviously my comment is open to interpretation, as I said, I have no evidence to back up how I feel, maybe it's because I grew up in the 90's when the PL was established, but I have never felt like Huddersfield were a Prem team compared with Villa or Albion.

I find it strange that people think a team 'belongs' in any league. Football is so transient, I remember Chelsea, Citeh and United all being very average sides Citeh being worse than us.

In a 442 Foster, Dawson, Evans, Gibbs, Jay Rod and a nominally fit Sturridge would get in our team.
In a 343 Foster, Evans and maybe J Rod.

I'd rather have the likes of Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed etc in the top flight than Watford/Bournemouth/Swansea because the size of the club dictates that they have more chance of breaking into the top six one day and creating more competition. Clubs who struggle to get 20k through the door aren't going to reach that level and over time they end up just doing enough to survive, which is a crap spectacle for everyone.

But of course, if the big clubs don't do enough to get up there and stay there, that's their own problem. You've got to earn it.

In the long run, it would be great to have us, Albion & Villa all established in the PL (not Blues, they can go down to the conference for all I care). Not next season though. It would be nice to go up in style while having a chuckle at Albion going down and Bruce blowing promotion at Villa.

Back