• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

love/hate thy neighbours?

Unfortunately some fans can’t be trusted so that’s why match day on BCD is like something out of 1984. If the police did relax things s bit they’d be heavily criticised if things went tits up. Certainly think tho kick off could be moved from that horrid 1200 slot on a Sunday.

Had to do some unfollowing on Twitter.

Some of our fans are becoming a little bit too interested in what Villa are up to, meaning my timeline is getting clogged up with shit 'bantz'. I know some of their fans are just as bad, but I'm not following them so it doesn't affect me. Exchanging tweets with other fans - fine. The occasional bit of 'top bantz for lolz' - no worries. But bloody hell, there are some prolific tweeters out there who don't seem capable of talking about anything else.

I just have no idea why - as a Wolves fan - you would put so much effort into winding up or trying to get the better over Villa fans, when we're miles clear at the top. And even if it was a bit closer, why the obsession? Just concentrate on your own team FFS.

*Checks* *Breathes easily*

I generally only mention them in order to pull up any stupidity/hypocrisy/lunacy that their owner or manager have been up to. Their fans can carry on their own merry way, I don't follow them.

*Checks* *Breathes easily*

I generally only mention them in order to pull up any stupidity/hypocrisy/lunacy that their owner or manager have been up to. Their fans can carry on their own merry way, I don't follow them.

Not you :icon_lol:

There's one dude on there who has retweeted about 30 #Bruceouts tweets from Villa fans during their bad run in December/January in the past hour or so. What's the point?

No problem with debating Villa, but you'd think some of these Twitter accounts were more anti-Villa than pro-Wolves as it's all they seem to want to talk about.

Lemaington Wolf? Yeah, I wondered what that was all about.

Albion - used to go to a few games with my step dad in the 70s, when the Albion were very good.

Villa - did my nurse training in Perry Barr so did a few evening games at Villa Park over a three year period in the early 90s.

Walsall - My grandad was a director at Walsall, always had a soft spot for them.

Blues - my family are steeped in Birmingham City. My grandad was general manager there in the 60s, my parents both worked there and I was often up there as a kid, sometimes hanging around in the players lounge. I was a Blues supporter until the early 80s, watched the likes of Trevor Francis and Frank Worthington. Then I fell out of love with football and found other things to do.

At 17 I went with my mate (with his friend's membership card) to watch Wolves. They won, Bully scored 4. Next time I went, Wolves won, Bully scored 3. Next time, Woves won, Bully scored 4. Preston, Port Vale, Fulham. Got my first season ticket the following season after John Paskin scored a late winner against Plymouth. £90 in the South Bank

I could quite easily have ended up following any of the local teams, it was luck that it ended up being Wolves. It is a significant part of my life but I don't get the bile that is associated with rivalry. It's just football

Haven't they spelled Leamington wrong ??

derby's feel weird being a foreign (non-ex pat) fan.

I understand rivalries certainly, we have them in sports here when teams are within a division (which, granted, is more arbitrary). I just generally find it hard to have strong feelings of hate toward other random cities I know nothing about from 1000 miles away.

Except QPR, not a fan.

I am very much in the minority here. My parents were Wolves through and through, but at the age of 7 I moved to West Brom because my mother opened a hairdressers there, I went to school in West Brom for a couple of years and I became an Albion Fan and in fact won a bet with my uncle and was given an encyclopedia of football a couple of years later because I could name the whole of the Albion cup winning team from the 1954 final. I remember being disappointed when Wolves won the league in 1953-54 season with Albion coming second. I supported both clubs then but only really changed to Wolves when I was lucky enough to be able to attend the 59-60 cup final.
I don't get this hate for any of the midland clubs and want them all to be successful. My only real hates are for Spurs - stemming from them taking from Wolves as the number one team in the early 60's and for them doing the double in 1961 which Wolves so narrowly missed the season before, and of course the Uefa cup final defeat in the early 70's.
The only other hate is for Man Utd. I remember the successive cup defeats in the 60's when we lost a 2-0 lead twice and just the plain arrogance of their plastic fans. I worked in NW Manchester in the 90's plenty of City fans and quite a few Bolton fans, but pretty well no United fans!

Yep I'm a boring old bastard, dont hate any clubs/managers/players (maybe a certain cardiff manager a bit) take a little bit of interest in my local small clubs but mostly I just dont care about the opposition.

As the more i read shit from Villa Fans, the more i want them to get beat.
Here's hoping we hammer them.at Villa Park, and they stay in the championship fucking Vile wankers

I am very much in the minority here. My parents were Wolves through and through, but at the age of 7 I moved to West Brom because my mother opened a hairdressers there, I went to school in West Brom for a couple of years and I became an Albion Fan and in fact won a bet with my uncle and was given an encyclopedia of football a couple of years later because I could name the whole of the Albion cup winning team from the 1954 final. I remember being disappointed when Wolves won the league in 1953-54 season with Albion coming second. I supported both clubs then but only really changed to Wolves when I was lucky enough to be able to attend the 59-60 cup final.
I don't get this hate for any of the midland clubs and want them all to be successful. My only real hates are for Spurs - stemming from them taking from Wolves as the number one team in the early 60's and for them doing the double in 1961 which Wolves so narrowly missed the season before, and of course the Uefa cup final defeat in the early 70's.
The only other hate is for Man Utd. I remember the successive cup defeats in the 60's when we lost a 2-0 lead twice and just the plain arrogance of their plastic fans. I worked in NW Manchester in the 90's plenty of City fans and quite a few Bolton fans, but pretty well no United fans!

Vic - I think you are very much from the different age when Wolves fans would watch Albion when we were away and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that at all, by the way. It was the way of the world in the late fifties. I think things have changed now though.

In an interesting aside, Dan (DW) and I have discussed several times about the idea of Wolves fans (and potentially Albion fans I guess) giving Walsall some support when we are away. It becomes a more possible idea when you consider how difficult away tickets could be to get in the top flight. However, the Walsall prices kill the idea stone dead.

That's kind of what I do with Stourbridge who I have an affinity for - but Wolves and Stourbridge never seem to win on the same day!

They're definitely my 2nd team and its quite nice to be chatting to Albion or Villa fans at the games who in a similar mindset. I've had a few good chats with them about Wolves/Albion/Villa without any of the cuntitude that's all too common on twitter.

Bloody hell, Stourbridge must be having a shit season.

It's been very disappointing after last year.

That's kind of what I do with Stourbridge who I have an affinity for - but Wolves and Stourbridge never seem to win on the same day!

They're definitely my 2nd team and its quite nice to be chatting to Albion or Villa fans at the games who in a similar mindset. I've had a few good chats with them about Wolves/Albion/Villa without any of the $#@!itude that's all too common on twitter.

Joys of social media people spout shite to each other that they wouldn’t dream of saying if they were sat in the same room.

They're definitely my 2nd team and its quite nice to be chatting to Albion or Villa fans at the games who in a similar mindset. I've had a few good chats with them about Wolves/Albion/Villa without any of the cuntitude that's all too common on twitter.

I uses to do the same with Willenhall

Vic - I think you are very much from the different age when Wolves fans would watch Albion when we were away and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that at all, by the way. It was the way of the world in the late fifties. I think things have changed now though.

In an interesting aside, Dan (DW) and I have discussed several times about the idea of Wolves fans (and potentially Albion fans I guess) giving Walsall some support when we are away. It becomes a more possible idea when you consider how difficult away tickets could be to get in the top flight. However, the Walsall prices kill the idea stone dead.

Even into the early 80's a few Wolves fans (at my work) would go watch Villa when we were away and vice versa.
I never really even saw Albion as a rival to Wolves as it was always Albion / Villa that seemed to dislike each other more.
I seem to remember the Albion having some collections outside to help us when we were going under.

Walsall seem to have an affinity with the Albion for some reason and hate us but i used to love going to Fellows Park back in the day,
never forget Bruce Rioch's Boro coming down in their thousands.

Birmingham....fucking hate em, always have ever since the days of Alberto Tarantini and ive never met one Blues fans that hasnt annoyed the fuck out of me,its probaly because Villa are bigger and draw in a large fanbase from the Black Country whereas Birmingham's reach is Small heath and maybe Alum Rock (at a push) :)

Yep, the Albion raised a fair amount (in relative terms) to help us when we were going under.

At the end of the day, the average Wolves fan will have far more in common with the average Albion fan than, say, an Arsenal fan.

Most Wolves fans from the BC would be Albion fans if they weren't Wolves fans and vice versa. It's fine for there to be a rivalry; it's the blind hatred that I've no time for. The BCD is never an enjoyable affair- I've had issues with moron Albion fans at the Hawthorns and witnessed issues caused by moron Wolves fans at Molineux. It takes all the fun out of the game.

Like most on here, I've never had a problem with Villa; I love to beat the Albion but other than that couldn't really care less; and I think Blues are an awful club with, historically, some really nasty players and they play in an awful stadium in a truly awful part of town and appear to have a disproportionate number of morons as fans. A strange coalition of proper thugs from south Birmingham and new-money rich twats from Solihull.

Yep, the Albion raised a fair amount (in relative terms) to help us when we were going under.

At the end of the day, the average Wolves fan will have far more in common with the average Albion fan than, say, an Arsenal fan.

Most Wolves fans from the BC would be Albion fans if they weren't Wolves fans and vice versa. It's fine for there to be a rivalry; it's the blind hatred that I've no time for. The BCD is never an enjoyable affair- I've had issues with moron Albion fans at the Hawthorns and witnessed issues caused by moron Wolves fans at Molineux. It takes all the fun out of the game.

Like most on here, I've never had a problem with Villa; I love to beat the Albion but other than that couldn't really care less; and I think Blues are an awful club with, historically, some really nasty players and they play in an awful stadium in a truly awful part of town and appear to have a disproportionate number of morons as fans. A strange coalition of proper thugs from south Birmingham and new-money rich $#@!s from Solihull.

that's where i'm from, but you're right, they're all cunts :)

Back