• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2015/2016

Lee Evans (Bradford) - Played the full game as Bradford drew at home 2-2 to Rochdale. He's taking some of the free kicks now and had an effort flash wide. Fatty Holt came on as sub for the Dale.

Jed Wallace (Millwall) - Another full game in which he sounded busy. Involved in a lot of attacks as Millwall beat Posh 3-0 at home.

Zele Ismail (Oxford) - Came on for the last five minutes again and sounded useful. Oxford nearly scored off one of his corners but lost 2-1 at home to Accrington finally.

Harry Burgoyne and Eusebio played on opposing teams in today's friendly between Wolves and Telford. Burgoyne made a string of superb saves apparently. Ben O'Hanlon was on the bench for Wolves so looks like he's returned from Corby.

It really is frustrating to have him there when we're crying out for a decent creative midfielder.

Hopefully a new Wolves manager can make the most of him next season.

He does allude to some weaknesses in his game there, couldn't cross for shit and perhaps a bit of a selfish attitude always being concerned with scoring, perhaps he wasn't perceived as being enough of a team player to be given a chance.

He does allude to some weaknesses in his game there, couldn't cross for shit and perhaps a bit of a selfish attitude always being concerned with scoring, perhaps he wasn't perceived as being enough of a team player to be given a chance.
Yep and I'm pretty certain a run of 12/13 games in the Championship until May will help him work on those.

Yep and I'm pretty certain a run of 12/13 games in the Championship until May will help him work on those.

Don't think a run of games really makes a difference if it's an attitude thing that's been the sticking point.

Don't think a run of games really makes a difference if it's an attitude thing that's been the sticking point.

If it is an attitude thing, it really does make our recruitment policy look even worse! We're constantly told any potential signing is looked at not just for their abilities on the pitch, but for their character off it as well. When you look at who we've signed since we came up from League 1, it's a pretty shambolic record. If players aren't playing due to 'not fitting into the system' (Mason? Byrne? Wallace?), it makes a mockery of the scouting on footballing grounds. If it's for personal reasons (Byrne? Wallace? Afobe even threw a strop if the club are to be believed, VLP acting like a cock), it looks like they don't fit into the required character profiles we look for in potential signings. Otherwise, they're pretty crap and are actually still managing to get a game despite not looking as good as the players we had in their positions in League 1 (Rowe, Saville, Coady).

Or they're injured! (Zyro, Williamson). I'll let them off.

Or of course - and most worrying of all - is that there's a clear disagreement between the head coach and the head of recruitment regarding transfers.

I don't mean attitude in so much as him being a cunt, just his approach to the game. If his outlook is all about him, only bothered about getting himself on the scoresheet, then that is something that could be tamed, very few clubs in the world are going to be able to sign players who are immediately perfect for them, and even then they're going to be shopping in a very small market. There's no problem with scouts identifying useful abilities in players which then, in theory at least, the coaches can eek out of them and develop them into a player where those qualities can shine through, especially so with a younger player like Wallace.

It's could perhaps be the opposite of what happened under Solbakken, he tried to change the system too soon and ended up with something completely unsuitable for his players, Wolves may now be signing players to adapt but the coaches can't develop them to a point where they can be utilised.

That is what downfall with this whole DoF approach, for a fan at least, it's very hard to point the finger at one particular party and blame them.

If it is an attitude thing, it really does make our recruitment policy look even worse! We're constantly told any potential signing is looked at not just for their abilities on the pitch, but for their character off it as well. When you look at who we've signed since we came up from League 1, it's a pretty shambolic record. If players aren't playing due to 'not fitting into the system' (Mason? Byrne? Wallace?), it makes a mockery of the scouting on footballing grounds. If it's for personal reasons (Byrne? Wallace? Afobe even threw a strop if the club are to be believed, VLP acting like a cock), it looks like they don't fit into the required character profiles we look for in potential signings. Otherwise, they're pretty crap and are actually still managing to get a game despite not looking as good as the players we had in their positions in League 1 (Rowe, Saville, Coady).

Or they're injured! (Zyro, Williamson). I'll let them off.

Or of course - and most worrying of all - is that there's a clear disagreement between the head coach and the head of recruitment regarding transfers.

Great post Langers.

I suspect this is the biggest problem. Bellend of a recruiter mixed with an old style controlling manager.

On that subject, I'm reading Michael calvin's 'living on the volcano' and one of the chapters is about Jackett.

From what he says he and Thelwell work together to then present to Moxey and Morgan to finance the signing.

On that subject, I'm reading Michael calvin's 'living on the volcano' and one of the chapters is about Jackett.

From what he says he and Thelwell work together to then present to Moxey and Morgan to finance the signing.

I must get round to reading this soon. Big fan of Michael Calvin.

Who is Michael Calvin?

Who is Michael Calvin?

He's an author Alan, written books on Millwall (Family), scouting (The Nowhere Men) and football management (Living on the Volcano).

He's very good and a nice bloke to boot.

Yeah I've not read Family yet but the other two are a fantastic insight into the world of football.

We need to bring in four quality signings before the loan window shuts on 24th March. Go on Ken, go get 'em!!

We need to bring in four quality signings before the loan window shuts on 24th March. Go on Ken, go get 'em!!
Go Jez, sanction the deals...oh they cost too much. Must be difficult to find the cash with over £6m burning, sorry freezing our pockets shut.

May as well give some of our own younger players (Hunte, Deslandes) a go rather than bring in loans now, as bad as we are its very unlikely we will go down. Unless the loan has an agreement for it become permanent there's not really any point using the rest of the games to develop someone else's player.

Back