• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the funniest pages on TWF in ages :ROFLMAO:

Get rid of this shit tournament please. If you're under 35 it likely means little to you, reserve teams all the way through and three straight 0-0 finals.

I don't care if we won it before I was born, it's wank.
In the world of moaning about fixture congestion, it's the obvious solution. 11 years since anyone interesting won it. It did mean something way back when, not quite the FA Cup, but more than today. Other than in the moment it's not like that now

In the world of moaning about fixture congestion, it's the obvious solution. 11 years since anyone interesting won it. It did mean something way back when, not quite the FA Cup, but more than today. Other than in the moment it's not like that now
I'm old enough to remember when it did but I'm also old enough to remember Teletext and I know that would serve no reasonable purpose now.

Bin.

Sure there's some historical context I'm missing, but why have the League's Cup and the FA Cup?

Sure there's some historical context I'm missing, but why have the League's Cup and the FA Cup?
The football league and football association are separate entities. The FA Cup has been going since the 1800's, the League Cup since the early 60's. The FL ran all leagues prior to the formation of the PL. Final aside it's always been a midweek tournament, but in the days before squad rotation was taken seriously.

The football league and football association are separate entities. The FA Cup has been going since the 1800's, the League Cup since the early 60's. The FL ran all leagues prior to the formation of the PL. Final aside it's always been a midweek tournament
Good to know! Knew they were governed by different bodies but definitely didn't think the FA Cup would be the elder, and certainly not by so much!

They just seem to overlap quite a bit, IMO.

Good to know! Knew they were governed by different bodies but definitely didn't think the FA Cup would be the elder, and certainly not by so much!

They just seem to overlap quite a bit, IMO.
Different age, Deutsch is right though it's an unnecessary throwback these days...unless we make a semi final obviously.

Get rid of this shit tournament please. If you're under 35 it likely means little to you, reserve teams all the way through and three straight 0-0 finals.

I don't care if we won it before I was born, it's wank.
It was a proper big deal then though. I'd argue it hasn't been since about the mid 90s.

At no point in the game today was Liverpool's on pitch team younger than Chelsea's, but the narrative is now "Klopp's kids"

Load of biased bollocks.

Bradley - 20
Diaz - 27 (50mill)
Elliott - 20
Endo - 31 (16m)
Gakpo - 24 (37mill)
Gravenbach - 21 (40mill)
Kelleher - 25
Konate - 24 (36mill)
MacAllister - 24 (35mill)
Robertson - 29 (10mill)
VVD - 32 (75mill)

Subs
Clark - 19
Danns - 18
Gomez - 26
McConnell - 19
Quansah - 21
Tsimikas - 27

Last edited:
Was at both our finals and I agree it’s a nonentity nowadays and the FA cup ain’t far behind.

At no point in the game today was Liverpool's on pitch team younger than Chelsea's, but the narrative is now "Klopp's kids"

Load of biased bollocks.

Bradley - 20
Diaz - 27
Elliott - 20
Endo - 31
Gakpo - 24
Gravenbach - 21
Kelleher - 25
Konate - 24
MacAllister - 24
Robertson - 29
VVD - 32

Subs
Clark - 19
Danns - 18
Gomez - 26
McConnell - 19
Quansah - 21
Tsimikas - 27
He’s bought on a lad who has just turned 18 up front, and played and bought on a lot of other young inexperienced players. Chelsea have spent a billion pounds. Not sure why you’re getting so bent out of shape about it.

Was at both our finals and I agree it’s a nonentity nowadays and the FA cup ain’t far behind.
Last 10 League Cup Winners
Liverpool x 2
Chelsea x 1
Man Utd x 2
Man City x 5

Last 10 FA Cup Winners
Arsenal x 4
Man Utd x 1
Leicester x 1
Liverpool x 1
Chelsea x 1
Man City x 2

With the one outlier they are always won by the same 5 teams

He’s bought on a lad who has just turned 18 up front, and played and bought on a lot of other young inexperienced players. Chelsea have spent a billion pounds. Not sure why you’re getting so bent out of shape about it.
Not sure if you were listening to the commentary?
Also:

A) Starting 11 was far from inexperienced, Bradley and that's it, everyone else has plenty of age and experience.
B) As I said, Liverpool's average age was never lower than Chelsea's, despite the 3 younger lads they brought on.
C) The narrative that Liverpool are some bunch of school children that were pulled together for buttons, or an underdog was ridiculous.

I have no warmth towards Chelsea at all, but what they (Neville, Carra and Drury) were saying was nonsense.

And it permeates:

Last edited:
Toronto and Cincy just kicked off if anyone feels like being a sicko with me.

It was a proper big deal then though. I'd argue it hasn't been since about the mid 90s.
Not originally. The League Cup was introduced in the 1960–61 season specifically as a mid-week floodlit tournament to replace the Southern Professional Floodlit Cup. The final wasn't played at Wembley until 1968.

It was conceived to attempt to bring in additional revenue due to dwindling attendances in the regular season and the lure of midweek floodlit matches being popularised by European competitions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back