• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2016/17

As long as the ball goes forward you can be offside and it did off Sturridge's boot. They did get it right but not for the right reason unless the Lino had x-Ray vision.

The ball doesn't have to go forward, it can go in any direction. If you are offside when the ball is played you are offside.

If the balls pulled back to you, you can't be offside.

The ball doesn't have to go forward, it can go in any direction. If you are offside when the ball is played you are offside.

The ball has to go forward Slink.

Watch City's fourth goal against Stoke the other week, perfect example of a player in an offside position not being offside as the ball was played backwards.

The ball has to go forward Slink.

It doesn't, you are offside whether the ball is played forwards, sidewards or backwards. You're not offside if you are level or behind the ball but it doesn't matter which way the ball is played if you are in an offside position.

Watch City's fourth goal against Stoke the other week, perfect example of a player in an offside position not being offside as the ball was played backwards.

Where? Nolito taps in after Sterling's pass which definitely goes forward. Nolito was behind Sterling so can't be offside.

You're right, I stand corrected.

It doesn't, you are offside whether the ball is played forwards, sidewards or backwards. You're not offside if you are level or behind the ball but it doesn't matter which way the ball is played if you are in an offside position.

Like Boo, I stand corrected. It is highly unlikely however.

Trevor Francis goal to win the European Cup v Malmo for Forest was a classic example, I believe

Yes - I think the cross was bang on the goal line but the defence hadn't come in so he looked offside but it went minimally backwards. I stand to be happily corrected though. Just my memory of that goal.

I've just Youtube'd it and it looks like Francis runs on to the ball from deep rather than him running backwards from an offside position. The cross indeed does go backwards.

Was there a defender he gets the header over or not? 1979 is so long ago!

Was there a defender he gets the header over or not? 1979 is so long ago!

If I could link it I would. He has a clear header but he starts with 2 attackers (one of which is the crosser) and 3 defenders as well as the 'keeper so he's well onside.

It's before my time (before I was born FFS) but wasn't the only debate - given how literally people used to apply the offside rule - whether ROBERTSON was offside rather than Francis on that one? Ie Robertson crosses it, Francis heads it in at the back stick and technically Robertson is offside despite being nowhere near the ball?

Clough was a visionary but his application of offside - how can you not be interfering with play if you're on the pitch - was stupid.

Like Boo, I stand corrected. It is highly unlikely however.

It is unlikely and i haven't seen it happen often but it's a common misconception i think that the ball has to go forwards.

It is unlikely and i haven't seen it happen often but it's a common misconception i think that the ball has to go forwards.
Same as 'last man'. Yeah, that's normally the principle but it isn't the law.

Same as 'last man'. Yeah, that's normally the principle but it isn't the law.

That's changed this year as well hasn't it. When we got a penalty against Cambridge pretty much everyone around me was going ape shit that their player hadn't been sent off despite being the last man and giving away a penalty. I explained the new rules but still some of them weren't having it.

Last man can still be sent off for a foul in the area if the ref believes he made no attempt to get the ball and denies a scoring chance.

I think Dan remembers right - not bad for a foetus at the time. Ah well. I knew there was an offside controversy about the goal!

Back