• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2016/17

That penalty controversy at Newcastle could well rumble on for some time. Frankly, I was staggered.

Standard championship refereeing. Sure Stroud will be fine and not face any consequences, he definitely looks to be wearing the correct kit to me.

That's seriously impressive from Spurs.

With Liverpool surprisingly dropping points tonight, maybe Arsenal still have a chance of getting a top four finish.

That penalty controversy at Newcastle could well rumble on for some time. Frankly, I was staggered.

Refs in being incompetent shocker. 4 of them on the Mics and they still can't get a rule right which your average Joe knows.

He will get a few weeks off full pay, more reward than a punishment.

Refs in being incompetent shocker. 4 of them on the Mics and they still can't get a rule right which your average Joe knows.

He will get a few weeks off full pay, more reward than a punishment.

The referee was the person who made the decision, the other officials cannot be blamed if the laws of the game are not applied correctly.

And if the referee gets a few weeks off, what full pay will he be on?

A statement released by the PGMOL.

Referee misapplied law - PGMOL

"In Wednesday evening's EFL Championship game between Newcastle United and Burton Albion, referee Keith Stroud awarded Newcastle a penalty in the 29th minute.

"As Matt Ritchie took the kick, Dwight Gayle encroached in the penalty area. An indirect free-kick was awarded to Burton, but the Laws of the Game state that that the penalty kick should have been retaken.

"Unfortunately the referee has misapplied the law. Keith and his team are understandably upset at the lapse in concentration and apologise for the mistake."

How the hell can he not know that rule? Jesus - lapse in concentration?????? Really???????

How the hell can he not know that rule? Jesus - lapse in concentration?????? Really???????

Indeed. I am often accused of defending referees, but this one has staggered me. A newly qualified level 7 referee is instructed on the procedure for encroachment. How an official in the football league can get it wrong is baffling.

The referee was the person who made the decision, the other officials cannot be blamed if the laws of the game are not applied correctly.

And if the referee gets a few weeks off, what full pay will he be on?

Are they not salaried?

Why can the other officials not literally whisper in his ear and tell him he's making a mistake.

Referees, the officials, the FA and governing bodies for some reason cannot apply common sense and all these stupid rules and regulations are quite frankly pathetic. The referee cannot be criticised, the assessor can't say he made the wrong decision, referees cannot be over ruled after the game. As long as he wears the right kit he's fine. The list goes on.

Hang on. The penalty was being taken by Newcastle and the encroachment was also by Newcastle. How or why does that mean the penalty gets taken a second time?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hang on. The penalty was being taken by Newcastle and the encroachment was also by Newcastle. How or why does that mean the penalty gets taken a second time?

Because a lot of the league/premier league referees are so far up their own arses that they don't understand how the laws of the game work. They're a fucking joke which is why so many fans of so many Championship clubs fans are so pissed off 90% of the time! You are part of a four man team that should work together but the referee thinks they are above advice. These people should be replaced by referees who actually listen to their team. The "team" shouldn't be punished but the referee should be replaced with someone who is actually competent

Because a lot of the league/premier league referees are so far up their own arses that they don't understand how the laws of the game work. They're a $#@!ing joke which is why so many fans of so many Championship clubs fans are so pissed off 90% of the time! You are part of a four man team that should work together but the referee thinks they are above advice. These people should be replaced by referees who actually listen to their team. The "team" shouldn't be punished but the referee should be replaced with someone who is actually competent
I'm confused. Was Newcastle allowed to retake the penalty?

I'm confused. Was Newcastle allowed to retake the penalty?

No, they should have been, because that's the law. The punishment for encroachment is that the penalty gets retaken. The ref can't just make up his own rules.

Besides which both teams were encroaching.

2yu0f89.png

No, they should have been, because that's the law. The punishment for encroachment is that the penalty gets retaken. The ref can't just make up his own rules.

2yu0f89.png
Okay, I see. Though if it had only been Gayle encroaching then I don't agree with the law.

2yu0f89.png

99 times out of 100 that penalty would stand. (Both teams encroaching, more Burton than Newcastle) However the referee decided that it should be a bloody free kick to Burton. The idiot should never referee a Sunday League game again never mind a Football League game. It's pricks like him that cause problems lower down the Football Pyramid

I always understood to rule/law to be:

Newcastle penalty

Newcastle score - Newcastle encroach - retake
Newcastle score - Burton encroach - goal stands
Newcastle score - Both encroach - retake

Newcastle miss - Newcastle encroach - free kick to Burton
Newcastle miss - Burton encroach - retake
Newcastle miss - Both encroach - retake

I always understood to rule/law to be:

Newcastle penalty

Newcastle score - Newcastle encroach - retake
Newcastle score - Burton encroach - goal stands
Newcastle score - Both encroach - retake

Newcastle miss - Newcastle encroach - free kick to Burton
Newcastle miss - Burton encroach - retake
Newcastle miss - Both encroach - retake

Correct, but when a team misses a penalty, unless there is encroachment by the defending team, I have never seen anything but a goalkick awarded.

I see all 4 officials from last nights game have been given the weekend off.

Back