• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Aesthetically pleasing" football isn't necessarily winning football. It shouldn't matter one jot what kind of football they've played as long as they're actually winning. The money thing I don't get, either. As you say they're more similar to Bournemouth than Wimbledon, but that's just it. They're similar to Bournemouth. And they're practically strolling away with it.

The best players don't win things, the best teams do.

I've not been that keen on the bandwagon, it's a brilliant achievement but they don't exactly play aesthetically pleasing football a lot of the time, Vardy is a horrible prick, they've had a lot of luck with lack of injuries and refereeing decisions in their favour, they aren't exactly paupers either, everyone on here hates Bournemouth but Leicester have been equally as financially doped.

It's been a weird season, if I hope for anything it's that the likes of Spurs and West Ham sustain this form as they play much better stuff and have far better players.

It shows what can be done with clever investment and recruitment from billionaire owners. In fairness this is exactly what they said they wanted when they took over. We laughed like drains, and scoffed at the suggestion. You and me included I seem to remember. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27387616

We beat this lot the year they won the league and we went down didnt we? Please dont tell me that the Leicester plan was not very carefully thought through and backed. The trick now is for them to maintain it. New owners 2010. Champions elect 2016. Some rise.

As for Bournemouth I find it hard to scoff at a team who were playing in the lowest tier a few seasons ago but found a team blueprint to get to the top and who purchased our best player of the last 5 years with a sum that way eclipses our record fee all on the back of an 11000 seater stadium. I am pleased they are staying there. I am pleased to see a young British manager cutting it in the premier league. I dont particularly like them or Howe but thats not the point. . Again let us see how long it lasts. The footballing rewards for promotion to the premier league will outweigh any investment made from the teams currently looking at the automatic spot. Try telling Bournemouth Leicester Watford Crystal Palace Stoke fans that spending a fair amount of wedge doesnt bring its rewards. Shamefully all those clubs are street ahead of us and they have done that in just 4 or 5 years.

Spurs and West Ham were always about entertainment. I cant see that changing. Thats why Allardyce was disliked. It has been a strange but wonderfully refreshing premier season. Real shame we are not in it to enjoy it.

Some information for people Here on transfers and expenditure per PL club. Leicester are about average in expenditure, with Spurs making a profit this season on transfers whilst still spending a truck load. Not bad work from Mr Levy.

Just for comparison the championship data is Here

Some interesting stuff there and shows the disparity between top and outside the play-offs.

Just for comparison the championship data is Here

Some interesting stuff there and shows the disparity between top and outside the play-offs.
Couple of points that stood out for me. Once the Ings Tribunal fee is finalised only Derby and Boro will have spent more than £5m net. Given that neither have parachute payments if either or both of them aren't promoted they will need bloody good accountants to avoid FFP.

Stearman went for £1m?

"Aesthetically pleasing" football isn't necessarily winning football. It shouldn't matter one jot what kind of football they've played as long as they're actually winning. The money thing I don't get, either. As you say they're more similar to Bournemouth than Wimbledon, but that's just it. They're similar to Bournemouth. And they're practically strolling away with it.

The best players don't win things, the best teams do.

So true.

Though Leicester have recruited well and with Champions league football to offer next season could target even more expensive established footballers. I see they have made Odion Ighalo a potential summer target.

Couple of points that stood out for me. Once the Ings Tribunal fee is finalised only Derby and Boro will have spent more than £5m net. Given that neither have parachute payments if either or both of them aren't promoted they will need bloody good accountants to avoid FFP.

Stearman went for £1m?

Or half a Conor Coady....

Stearman went for £1m?

I tend to use that website as it goes off reported data rather than 'media' fees but it is late on a few bits (the non-disclosed fee for Golbourne and Byrne) but yes that stuck out as well.

I am particularly impressed with McCarthy only spending £384K and producing that side in comparison to our frankly abysmal underachievement in the transfer market. I'm also impressed with Burnley, Sean Dyche doing a top job there.

Sheff Wed and Brighton have both spent north of £9m net.

I think some of the football Leicester have played has been fantastic. They were more gung-ho in the early stages of the season, whereas they tightened up towards the end, but you can't say that Vardy, Mahrez, Albrighton, Kante, Drinkwater, Fuchs haven't been fantastic to watch? Schmeichel's distribution this season has been stunning. I find them fascinating to watch anyway.

Spurs under Pochettino are going places, but what Leicester have done is made people believe!

Alli surely facing a ban?

DangerousMistyGull.gif

He will get a 3 game ban.

Yacob was winding him up all game and he snapped. He will have to get used to cloggers like that. Although fair play to the clogger for not going down like a sack of spuds and for brushing it off when asked after the game

He will get a 3 game ban.

Yacob was winding him up all game and he snapped. He will have to get used to cloggers like that. Although fair play to the clogger for not going down like a sack of spuds and for brushing it off when asked after the game
Yacob's a twat but seems the sort to take it as well as he dishes it.

Think that sums it up very well. Very poor standard for a Champions League game let alone a semi final.

At least the games in the last round against PSG had some entertainment even if they were riddled with horrendous defending, this is just shit in every respect, two teams scared to try and do anything.

Very poor first half. Worst non-Wolves match I've seen in 2016 I think.

Not sure what's more annoying, the lack of ambition from both sides or Owen Hargreaves.

Both teams are playing like a 0-0 draw is a good result, meaning it will in all likelihood end as a 0-0 draw. Personally I think that is a better result for Madrid than City

Both teams are playing like a 0-0 draw is a good result, meaning it will in all likelihood end as a 0-0 draw. Personally I think that is a better result for Madrid than City

Theoretically should favour Real. But city are more than capable of nicking one away and therefore just need to avoid defeat

I'm not sure it is better for Madrid. They will have to attack at home which means City will have space to counter and obviously will have the advantage of away goals should they score. Pretty sure City would love a goal though but not conceding an away goal seems their main objective right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back