• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not, not as much as some think. But mostly I'm pointing out that the "x league is garbage so y player doing well there means nothing" logic doesn't really follow, given that situations like Payet happen anyway.

Is Ligue 1 the weakest of the big five leagues? Absolutely. But there are some decent teams in there. Some of the teams, though, would struggle in the Championship. Looking at you, ESTAC.

It's not, not as much as some think. But mostly I'm pointing out that the "x league is garbage so y player doing well there means nothing" logic doesn't really follow, given that situations like Payet happen anyway.

Is Ligue 1 the weakest of the big five leagues? Absolutely. But there are some decent teams in there.

The teams aren't decent are they really. There's some excellent talent in the league i would agree with that and i don't agree with people who say they play in Ligue 1 so they can't be that good about certain players but in reality the teams below PSG are poor for a top European League.

Is Ligue 1 the weakest of the big five leagues? Absolutely. But there are some decent teams in there. Some of the teams, though, would struggle in the Championship. Looking at you, ESTAC.

Good players look better when playing in better environments as they have the ability to go up a gear and more of a challenge brings it out of them.

Average players look better when everyone around them is rubbish.

The problem is that because the league is so weak in relative terms (like the Eredivisie) you can't take success there as being any reliable barometer. Whereas you buy someone who has been successful in Spain, Germany or Italy and generally you can count on them doing well in England - unless their own individual game is so obviously unsuited to our football (Veron would be the best example) and you should clearly have never bought them in the first place.

The teams aren't decent are they really. There's some excellent talent in the league i would agree with that and i don't agree with people who say they play in Ligue 1 so they can't be that good about certain players but in reality the teams below PSG are poor for a top European League.

As it seems this comes up a lot I'll go ahead and break my view down by team, relative to the Premier League:

PSG: Top 4

Monaco, Lyon, Rennes, Nantes, Saint Etienne, Lille, Marseille, Lorient, Nice, Caen:
Mid table

Angers, Bastia, Bordeaux, Montpellier:
Lower mid/relegation

Gazalec, Reims, Guingamp, Toulouse: Relegation/High Championship

Troyes: Mid table Championship

As it seems this comes up a lot I'll go ahead and break my view down by team, relative to the Premier League:

PSG: Top 4

Monaco, Lyon, Rennes, Nantes, Saint Etienne, Lille, Marseille, Lorient, Nice, Caen:
Mid table

Angers, Bastia, Bordeaux, Montpellier:
Lower mid/relegation

Gazalec, Reims, Guingamp, Toulouse: Relegation/High Championship

Troyes: Mid table Championship

I think most of those sides after Monaco would probably be in the bottom half very close to relegation, a couple wouldn't but most would and i don't think the Premier League is very strong at all. It's exciting but the standard isn't where it should be.

Nottingham Forest one up at Hull, and a pretty good strike as well. Brighton winning, and move into 2nd place

Have Kyev stolen old Chelsea kits for this game?

Luuk de Jong is unfathomably bad for a UCL player.

The standard of goalkeeping in this shootout is pretty poor.

Shocker for Narsingh, brought on to take a penalty (surely) and he's the one who misses.

When's the last time someone took a short run-up and it worked?

If he's on to take a pen, whys he taking the 8th pen

No idea. Can't realistically have been brought on for any other reason though in the 118th minute. Pretty sure Luuk De Jong who he replaced has taken pens in the past so strange all round.

De Jong looked injured to me. Also didn't seem at all annoyed to have been taken off.

Narsingh isn't known for being a finisher so the whole thing is just odd.

De Jong looked injured to me. Also didn't seem at all annoyed to have been taken off.

Narsingh isn't known for being a finisher so the whole thing is just odd.

Juve go 3-2 up, Alaba with a mistake and for once Neuer coming off his line was a bad idea. Pogba slots it in easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back