• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Our sentencing guidelines have never breached international law. That’s nonsense written entirely from the Just Stop Oil side of the argument.

And as I say, writing to the government (executive) about sentencing from an independent judiciary shows spectacular ignorance of UK constitutional law.

Haven't they literally just invented a new law with harsher penalties though?

'Chancellor Jeremy Hunt will tell the disabled to work from home or lose their benefits today.'

Thought after the ‘successes’ of XR, JSO etc etc it was pretty obvious something like that was going to be introduced eventually.

You can’t have a functioning society when incredibly well organised pressure groups can wreak havoc upon everyone else just wanting to go about their daily business with such great affect. Something had to be done.

It’s another one of those blind spot by-products of something you drive your opponents to. You reap what you sow. I don’t have a huge amount of sympathy to be honest.

Were it not for disruptive protest, black people would still be slaves, women still denied the vote, and homosexuality would be illegal. Being on the side of the likes of Mike Parry, Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan is a pretty big clue you're on the wrong side

Were it not for disruptive protest, black people would still be slaves, women still denied the vote, and homosexuality would be illegal. Being on the side of the likes of Mike Parry, Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan is a pretty big clue you're on the wrong side
Absolutely. We have been conditioned to believe that protest is bad unless your protest is not disruptive. Pretty much every protest movement ever that has led to change we now take for granted has been disruptive.

Disruption is a force for good as well as bad and restricting the right to protest either by restrictive law or punitive law (or both) is harmful and in itself should be protested in the most disruptive way possible.

As for climate change protesters, I don't know anybody personally who has been significantly impacted by their actions yet everybody I know and everybody I don't know will or are being impacted by climate change.

Who said I am on the side of those cunts? I have pointed out that the UN has no place getting uppity about the way the UK constitution works. That’s the limit of it.

I agree, but disruptive protest is going to come at a cost too. The recent very effective campaigns (in terms of disruption, not necessarily in outcomes) are extremely skilfully executed, and are fundamentally shoehorned into whatever the gaps can be found in legislation (aka ‘existing rights’). It’s inevitable those ‘gaps’ will be closed.

It’s a bit of an old argument now but once protest becomes disruptive to others that are not sharing the view you tip the scales and start to lose as much as you gain.

It’s hard to believe anyone couldn’t see where this was going irrespective of which side of any of the protests you are on.

Disruptive protest is very effective. Although I draw the line at blocking roads and stopping traffic. You're holding up emergency services and people that need to get to hospital.

I agree, but disruptive protest is going to come at a cost too. The recent very effective campaigns (in terms of disruption, not necessarily in outcomes) are extremely skilfully executed, and are fundamentally shoehorned into whatever the gaps can be found in legislation (aka ‘existing rights’). It’s inevitable those ‘gaps’ will be closed.

It’s a bit of an old argument now but once protest becomes disruptive to others that are not sharing the view you tip the scales and start to lose as much as you gain.

It’s hard to believe anyone couldn’t see where this was going irrespective of which side of any of the protests you are on.
Disagree. As long as people are talking about it the protest is successful. Media just don't care otherwise.

Back