• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Just catching up on this week's latest nonsense. Nice to see my mate Dave is back, surprised @Deutsch Wolf hasn't mentioned this already

Thought he'd have contacted you personally in advance as you're such great personal pals

The EU has issued private warnings to the U.K. government against any attempt to bypass decisions by the European Court of Human Rights in order to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda, multiple senior diplomats have said.

European Commission and member state officials have expressed repeated concerns about the Illegal Migration Bill, a key plank of Rishi Sunak’s pledge to stop small boat crossings of the English Channel, which is back in the Commons for further scrutiny Wednesday. The proposed law would mean anyone who arrived in the U.K. illegally would be deported, even if they had made an asylum claim.

They're quite obviously bluffing, knowing full well they can put the blame on woke lefties when it once again doesn't get passed.

They're such utter cunts, what a completely disingenuous way of trying to win votes, but they've seen it work so well in the recent past with Brexit and Boris.

Both as good as ancient history.

Akin to us getting relegated and installing Mick McCarthy as manager in 2024 because he got us promoted before.

Both as good as ancient history.

Akin to us getting relegated and installing Mick McCarthy as manager in 2024 because he got us promoted before.
I'm not so sure, it's probably because of the people I grew up with, but I know plenty of people who are falling for this nonsense.

Well he has probably left lots of phone messages with Rishi pointing out that if Dishface can have a peerage…

He is politically dead. Will still wibble from the sidelines to his acolytes and the Heil, but he is never getting back into either House.

I'm not so sure, it's probably because of the people I grew up with, but I know plenty of people who are falling for this nonsense.
Yep, there's plenty out there who'll answer the familiar dog whistle. Conversations I overhear in pubs are no different now to the ones 7 years ago. I'm not so sure they can be mobilised to go to the ballot box again this time, but it's the best strategy they've got.

Listen to Colin from Portsmouth here, he's not an isolated crank

Sunak doesn't have the force of personality that Johnson did (in a bad way) to run on utter, utter bullshit every single day

The Lords will absolutely not let us just unilaterally break the law

So it is dead, just for some inexplicable reason they won't let go.

Sunak doesn't have the force of personality that Johnson did (in a bad way) to run on utter, utter bullshit every single day

The Lords will absolutely not let us just unilaterally break the law

So it is dead, just for some inexplicable reason they won't let go.
The narrative isn't dead though, it's still news. And it will continue to be news everytime the Lords and EU (those woke lefties...) keep bouncing it back.

The reason is, they know it will get them support. 100% dog whistle as TT said.

I don't know what to tell you. Evidently I don't move in the circles where even one person didn't think this "idea" was complete nonsense on multiple levels since day one.

He's also just installed a Home Secretary who has explicitly said we shouldn't leave the ECHR (one of the few sensible things he's ever said) so how's that going to pan out?

Ultimately I have great difficulty in giving a shit what racists think.

Well if it gets nicely tied up in the courts again then the gammons can hopefully desert to Reform or whatever it will be called that week.

And don’t forget every passing year more of the young are coming into polling booths. Sadly their turnout figures aren’t the greatest but a massive percentage of the under 30s absolutely detest the current government and more and more of their reliable silver vote is shuffling off the mortal coil.

The real unsubtle one is planning to take an axe to benefits to find the cash to pay for the triple lock. That’s the group where they have appeal but they can’t piss off everyone else just to keep them sweet.

I don't know what to tell you. Evidently I don't move in the circles where even one person didn't think this "idea" was complete nonsense on multiple levels since day one.

He's also just installed a Home Secretary who has explicitly said we shouldn't leave the ECHR (one of the few sensible things he's ever said) so how's that going to pan out?

Ultimately I have great difficulty in giving a shit what racists think.
I think we're at crossed purposes here.

Hypothetical question - assuming Rishi was able to do what he says he’ll do and flights somehow got to leave and then something dodgy happens to a migrant, where’s the jeopardy? Is it just UK government or could it ever extend personally to anyone who proposed it or voted for it given the various laws that would be bypassed.

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking being risked here on this thread.
The notion definitely has traction amongst many people. A lot of people may be feeling similarly that Suella, Leenoch etc are "saying what the silent majority" think.
For me, a great proportion of the population are not closely engaged with political discourse. For this reason they respond to these soundbite politics because they are not engaged in the detail.
Given they only engage with the soundbites, they therefore think what is being said is "right"
Yes, our politicians are bad, weak etc. But sadly the engagement of the electorate with political discourse is really low.

Back