• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Always found it odd that you could just stroll into a polling station, give your name and address and then vote, no questions asked.

Don’t really have an opinion on whether ID should have been brought in? Was the system broken? Did it need fixing? Was there voter fraud? You needed 2 pieces of ID to go to the tip in Wolverhampton.

But the rules are you need ID to vote. You wouldn’t get through passport control with a mask on so this should be any different.

It's performative nonsense on this individual level. There's a very weird substrata of people who still endlessly bang on about Covid, masks, vulnerability, vaccines etc about a year after it ceased to be any kind of issue for 99% of the population. She seems a right twat. I bet she could easily have voted but went off in a huff and straight onto Twitter saying "I'VE BEEN BANNED" after being asked "could you just lower your mask a second please" or whatever.

Voter ID in itself is stupid, voter fraud in person doesn't exist on any meaningful level and I've used my passport today with a photo taken in 2007. The most cursory of checks, it doesn't serve any purpose. Well, I know why the Tories did it. Desperation times and hoping that it would disproportionately affect those who will never vote for them. Won't actually do anything.

Not sure there'll be any huge moments or indications tonight (well - it'll be well into tomorrow in a lot of cases anyway). It's 2019 -> now in most areas and the Tories already did really poorly then, it accelerated May's inevitable departure. Ex-UKIP/Reform/Whatever Farage's Racist Party was called then -> Labour might be a bit of a swing in some areas as there's no natural replacement for the former, but nothing earth shattering.

The Tories are very unlikely to be making gains anywhere whatever happens.

Edit: Case in point:

First three councils in are all Labour holds but in massive weigh the Labour vote areas (at least for council elections). Nothing mind blowing yet but noises from government ministers suggest they are expecting a bad night and their main work will be to spin it as “Labour didn’t do as well as they need to”.

There's your flavour. If Farage hadn't been such a cunt and actually stood his candidates after ramping up his awful rhetoric, Johnson's landslide in 2019 never exists (he may well have got some kind of win but nothing like the same scale).

And that borrowed vote to the Tories was indeed borrowed and has already been called in.

Bigger swing to Labour in pro-Brexit areas makes it pretty clear that Wurzel Gummidge borrowed the red wall vote in 2019.

Cons getting a shoeing... Shame

That’s a big result. Also looks like it’s not a small majority but an absolute mauling in oatcake land.

Medway to Labour is a big one.

Tories already lost a 3rd of their council seats.

This is beginning to resemble a proper bloody nose. Don’t forget they are defending a low water mark position from when May was completely lame duck over Brexit and Rish! is doing considerably worse so far.

I find it bizarre that people still vote for the Reform Party (is that what they are called?). They serve no purpose any more apart from allowing Farage & Tice to pretend they are still relevant.

As there is almost no difference between the Tories and Reform/UKIP are the people voting for them just the slightly more racisty types that don’t like a brown skinned leader?

Back