• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Half a million more viewers than usual last night, apparently. 🤷‍♂️

Switched on R5 this afternoon and was surprised to find full commentary (a pretty good one, too; no pundits, thank God). They're covering the Wolves game too.
Will be folk (like myself) who flicked it on to see what it actually looked like, anticipate it will drop heavily next week. Seen some on twitter today promoting this as a win for no presenters/pundits, despite them getting higher audience than this pre-World Cup

Half a million more viewers than usual last night, apparently. 🤷‍♂️

Switched on R5 this afternoon and was surprised to find full commentary (a pretty good one, too; no pundits, thank God). They're covering the Wolves game too.
I was taking about the GB News version not the 20 minute MOTD programme.

Think the Express has long been seen as the worst 'headline rag' maybe since its inception.
Guess it just tries to engage in confirmation bias (as do 100% of daily newspapers) but on a grander scale than some.
Wonder what their circulation is compared to others?

I’ll add that my son gets the Beano each week. It’s better written than the Express and a more accurate reflection and encouraging vision of British society, going some given it features a boy who turns into a superhero when he eats a banana. It’s a great example of a cultural institution that’s changed in the face of changing (improving) attitudes in society, which is brilliant. I did notice that a character from my childhood, Lord Snooty, has vanished. Maybe he eat a Quail and turned into the MP for North East Somerset, though even Snooty wasn’t that big a twat.

Who actually buys this shit

View attachment 6996
Yet 3 days earlier….

Daily-Express-4.jpg

The BBC have issued an apology for the chaos caused by the Gary Lineker row.

They have confirmed there will be an internal review into their impartiality rules.

Tim Davie said via a statement, "Everyone recognises this has been a difficult period for staff, contributors, presenters and, most importantly, our audiences. I apologise for this.

"The potential confusion caused by the grey areas of the BBC’s social media guidance that was introduced in 2020 is recognised. I want to get matters resolved and our sport content back on air.

"Impartiality is important to the BBC. It is also important to the public. The BBC has a commitment to impartiality in its Charter and a commitment to freedom of expression. That is a difficult balancing act to get right where people are subject to different contracts and on air positions, and with different audience and social media profiles.

"The BBC’s social media guidance is designed to help manage these sometimes difficult challenges and I am aware there is a need to ensure that the guidance is up to this task. It should be clear, proportionate, and appropriate.

"Accordingly, we are announcing a review led by an independent expert – reporting to the BBC – on its existing social media guidance, with a particular focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs.

"The BBC and myself are aware that Gary is in favour of such a review.

"Shortly, the BBC will announce who will conduct that review. Whilst this work is undertaken, the BBC’s current social media guidance remains in place.

"Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend."

Back