• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Talking of bikes I bumped into an old school mate here today who runs a proper high end bike shop. Going to let me rent a very posh road bike and we are going to try a good ride out to try and help me get fit. About a 75k circuit. Once I have managed that we intend to do what is a fairly tough but classic ride to a place called Goondiwindi in the outback. Nice 223k ride that. Going to be tough but great way to get my fitness back.
Might want to try 25k first.

I think the problem is nothing to do with whether Lineker is allowed a viewpoint on twitter or not, it is the fact that he stupidly linked the comment to Nazi Germany, thereby diminishing the importance of The Holocaust, this following his previous comment extolling the virtues of a Hamas member, shot dead by the Israelis.
UKLFI pulled him up on that.
Sheer stupidity on his part.
Either he withdraws or rephrases his comments or he's toast imo.
As to Alan Sugar and his comments regarding Corbyn (an alleged anti-Semite), I'd have thought the reason he was allowed a free pass is blatantly obvious.
Also, obviously Bravermans husband is a Jew.
And the BBC have had allegations of anti-Semitism thrown at them before.
I'm not justifying Lineker, the BBC or The Conservative's and am not bothered one way or another how this all pans out by the way.
Maybe I'm imagining it all.

He made a comparison based on the language used. He was absolutely correct to do so, because it is similar language.

There isn't an invisible bar where you can only mention the 1930s when someone actually gets round to gassing millions of people. It's like saying you can't ever compare Bruno Lage to Dean Saunders because Lage never relegated us to League One, but there are loads of very obvious similarities.

He really isn't.

Already has a huge contract offer from TNT (BT Sports as they will be known from next season thanks to a Warner Bros takeover).

He will be fine. He won't be "cancelled" and the worst case for him will be having a few months off this year whilst his legal team ensure he gets what is owed from his BBC contract.

Outside of the BBC he will just a be a freelancer with a host of offers. There a lot of losers in this situation....he isn't one of them.

I think the problem is nothing to do with whether Lineker is allowed a viewpoint on twitter or not, it is the fact that he stupidly linked the comment to Nazi Germany, thereby diminishing the importance of The Holocaust, this following his previous comment extolling the virtues of a Hamas member, shot dead by the Israelis.
As to Alan Sugar and his comments regarding Corbyn (an alleged anti-Semite), I'd have thought the reason he was allowed a free pass is blatantly obvious.
I'm not justifying Lineker, the BBC or The Conservative's and am not bothered one way or another how this all pans out by the way.
Fucking hell.

That's some tinfoil hat shit right there.

He made a comparison based on the language used. He was absolutely correct to do so, because it is similar language.

There isn't an invisible bar where you can only mention the 1930s when someone actually gets round to gassing millions of people. It's like saying you can't ever compare Bruno Lage to Dean Saunders because Lage never relegated us to League One, but there are loads of very obvious similarities.
I'm not saying he wasn't correct to do so. I haven't got a problem with it.
Should be able to say what you like as far as I'm concerned.

I must admit I thought the original post by Lineker was a bit ott and designed to get a rise but the subsequent response from the BBC and govt kind of reinforces his point.

It's dead cat tactics. Divert attention from the vile and reprehensible legislation that the Tories want to introduce. Blame an ex-footballer with a social conscience and let it run whilst their ideology goes through unoticed.

I must admit I thought the original post by Lineker was a bit ott and designed to get a rise but the subsequent response from the BBC and govt kind of reinforces his point.
The original post isn't OTT for me. If you compare the rhetoric this government spews out, with what was said in 1930s Germany (before the holocaust, so bringing that up is purposely wrong by people who should know better) it is very similar. They know exactly what they're doing, creating division and hatred because they have zero accomplishments to shout about

The original post isn't OTT for me. If you compare the rhetoric this government spews out, with what was said in 1930s Germany (before the holocaust, so bringing that up is purposely wrong by people who should know better) it is very similar. They know exactly what they're doing, creating division and hatred because they have zero accomplishments to shout about
Exactly as per my post this morning the debate is not about what he said, but what people want him to have said as it suits their agenda. What he said was factually accurate

Old news, but still on the BBC website:

Includes the following:
"A spokesman for the BBC said: "Gary is not involved in any news or political output for the BBC and as such any expression of his personal political views does not affect the BBC's impartiality.""
Great find, great post!

I think the problem is nothing to do with whether Lineker is allowed a viewpoint on twitter or not, it is the fact that he stupidly linked the comment to Nazi Germany, thereby diminishing the importance of The Holocaust,
He was right to do so. The Holocaust didn’t just happen, it was the result of a long and insidious demonisation of Jews. The tone and content of Braverman’s words were very similar. Someone replaced the word Jew with migrant in her speech and it left no doubt about the similarities.

My point (either clumsily made or deliberately misunderstood?) is that it doesn't matter whether he was right or not.
It was to say why I thought this has all been blown up, out of all proportion, and what is really behind it.
The fact that he has posted on brexit previously and didn't get pulled up and that Sugar can say what he likes as well proves that, I would have thought.

My point (either clumsily made or deliberately misunderstood?) is that it doesn't matter whether he was right or not.
It was to say why I thought this has all been blown up, out of all proportion, and what is really behind it.
The fact that he has posted on brexit previously and didn't get pulled up and that Sugar can say what he likes as well proves that, I would have thought.
No it doesn't. Just a stupid theory you have.

Jesus Christ, I’ve just seen a clip from GBeebies Alternative Match of the Day programme. Their 17 viewers must have loved it.

Jesus Christ, I’ve just seen a clip from GBeebies Alternative Match of the Day programme. Their 17 viewers must have loved it.
Half a million more viewers than usual last night, apparently. 🤷‍♂️

Switched on R5 this afternoon and was surprised to find full commentary (a pretty good one, too; no pundits, thank God). They're covering the Wolves game too.

Back