• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

We live in a country with a large number of bigots and racists. We like to pretend we don't, but we do. They hide behind statements like "we are full", but we know what they mean. The vast majority of those replies and those from Tory MPs and the usual right wing mouthbreathers are factually incorrect, some deliberately, some because they don't care about facts and some because they are just thick.

There's a lot of good which comes from social media, but giving these people a voice and amplifying their views is one serious downside. I include the left in that as much as the right. This country has become one big culture war since 2016, I'm so tired of it.
Agree with much of what you say, although don't think as a nation were any worse than others, better than many. That's not say we can't improve and talking with my kids and their friends gives me hope that things will slowly get better, you'll never eradicate it unfortunately.
We are 'full' for where we are with our infrastructure but tbf I know more 'born in Britain' scumbags I'd send to Rwanda before economic migrants and asylum seekers.
That last statement was a joke btw in an attempt to lighten a depressing subject.

I had a grifter. When I graduated to a chopper it was like a badge of honour. And Sally James was a proper crush
Red or blue?

And yep, Sally James in her leather trousers was a thing of beauty!

You youngsters opinion counts for nowt😉
I preferred Blue Peter to Magpie, but Tiswas to Swapshop.
I chose Grandstand or WOS depending on what they were showing but it was always, always Grandstand at 4pm for the wrestling with Kent Walton, watched with my dad.
Wasn't wrestling on WOS?

I had a grifter. When I graduated to a chopper it was like a badge of honour. And Sally James was a proper crush

Funnily enough Sally James would be a very fitting microcosm of the polarisation on social media now. To be fair, you’d likely be arrested if you vocalised what most kids were thinking about her at the time never mind the dads….

Not surprising some older people struggle with the transition and slip up now and again when they’ve been weaned on a diet of 70’s attitudes and culture. You have to at least open your eyes and move forward, but there’s always going to confusion even amongst the young, when you think you’re future lies in the misery of debating ethical farming in Costa Rica with a partner like Lesley Judd, when in reality you just want to go to the pub and have a few pints with Sally.

Last edited:
The BBC has been forced to severely reduce a second day of sports programming amid a deepening row over the suspension of Gary Lineker.

The corporation said Match of the Day 2 and coverage of the Women’s Super League match between Manchester United and Chelsea would be “much reduced” on Sunday.

Tonight's Match of the Day 2 will follow the same format as last night with no pundits or match commentary after Mark Chapman walked out in solidarity with Gary Lineker

I had a red chopper. 3 gear lever on the centre bar of the frame. Seventies classic

Well the utmost respect my friend if you still have a working pair of testicles. The re-launched later version moved the shifter to a different position as that 70’s version was well known for turning riders from baritones to falsettos.

I never had a chopper, but I did replace the handlebars on my ordinary bike with cowhorn handlebars. They were so big I could only just reach the grips! We used to make a 'speedway' track up at the old scrapyard in Newport which had a big gravel area out in front of it. Made for perfect drifting around the bends. I always used to pretend I was Ole Olsen... Good times.

Old news, but still on the BBC website:

Includes the following:
"A spokesman for the BBC said: "Gary is not involved in any news or political output for the BBC and as such any expression of his personal political views does not affect the BBC's impartiality.""

Question: explain the current socio-economic state of the UK?

Answer:

FB_IMG_1678623173210.jpg

I never had a chopper, but I did replace the handlebars on my ordinary bike with cowhorn handlebars. They were so big I could only just reach the grips! We used to make a 'speedway' track up at the old scrapyard in Newport which had a big gravel area out in front of it. Made for perfect drifting around the bends. I always used to pretend I was Ole Olsen... Good times.

Always thought the height of coolness was a bike with cowhorns. Would’ve loved to have put some on my sensible Raleigh racer but think my old man would’ve disowned me.

Those cowhorn bikes were the business for wheelies but the thin back wheels buckled in no time. Funnily enough some of those wide bars on mountain bikes now are not far off cowhorns. Might get practicing the wheelies again, grow old but never grow up.

Talking of bikes I bumped into an old school mate here today who runs a proper high end bike shop. Going to let me rent a very posh road bike and we are going to try a good ride out to try and help me get fit. About a 75k circuit. Once I have managed that we intend to do what is a fairly tough but classic ride to a place called Goondiwindi in the outback. Nice 223k ride that. Going to be tough but great way to get my fitness back.

Just had a conversation with my ex-Met police father in law. Jesus Christ, all Lineker’s fault, should’ve kept his mouth shut etc.

I fucking despair sometimes. What a mentality from a supposed intelligent person. I get we all have certain political leanings, but you don’t blinker yourself to the realities. I don’t know if it’s just a loyalty to the party, ignorance or general bigotry. I suspect the later. Either way, I’m beginning to give up.

Back