• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 2 v Wolves 0: The Verdict Thread

No, Jimenez was our best attacking threat.

Adama was a lot better than Costa for sure. So you could argue he deserves to start next week, if he's fit. This isn't an anti-Adama crusade, it's wondering what we actually do with the talent that he has. Just giving him the ball and hoping it works out isn't going to cut it.

Maybe for the first 20 mins, but drifted out of it - mostly mini's fault for moving him.

Traore against city will.be very different than against the flat back 10 yesterday.

I was actually quite bemused as to why Jimenez was shunted out wide to accommodate Bonatini, I know who’d I’d rather be on the end of any chances created. To be honest I was surprised that Bonatini replaced Jota as he was never going to break down a ten man defence.

I could see the thinking in it. It worked last week as Bonatini's movement was good, he drew players out of position and Jimenez benefitted as he scored the goal towards the back post. I agree though, I would have kept Jimenez in the middle as he had caused them a lot of problems. Leo didn't do as much this week either and fluffed his couple of opportunities whereas Raul looked a lot more dangerous in the first half with his efforts.

I also wonder if he took both Jota/Costa out at same time as to do that to just one of them in their first away game might have been a bit confidence destroying.

No, Jimenez was our best attacking threat.

Adama was a lot better than Costa for sure. So you could argue he deserves to start next week, if he's fit. This isn't an anti-Adama crusade, it's wondering what we actually do with the talent that he has. Just giving him the ball and hoping it works out isn't going to cut it.

Plus that flies in the face of everything that the club told you at that forum that Nuno focuses on every detail and the decision making of players. He wouldn't have been signed without a plan for him.

I'm sure there is a plan, it just wasn't there yesterday.

My issue with Traore isn't his final ball or even the lack of effort defensively, it's that he just stands there on the wing and refuses to make a run off the ball. I've never seen a player be so unwilling to be part of a team performance. So many times in the 2nd half Moutinho was looking for him to make a move and he just wasn't interested.

Bloody hell! Poor bloke hasn't got a chance when there are comments like this being flung around after an extremely positive first performance in a Wolves shirt.

Solid, organised teams will watch us pass it about until it breaks down, we get stretched and it's two or three passes then in on goal. Throw in some poor defending and while our play in general is giving us grounds for optimism most teams will fancy scoring against us. While our ability to defend as a unit was impressive last season, the frailties that existed then still exist now, but better players than the likes of Leon Clarke will exploit them (and they have). If Nuno can organise us 'as a defensive unit' I tend to think the attacking play will develop naturally and we'll see a better return from players like Costa and Jota.

Once they went down to 10 maybe. Before that they were playing the same way as they did in the 1st half. Jota/Costa weren't getting much joy and were binned for a slightly different approach. Obviously the sending off meant we could have done with Jota on the pitch, sadly Nuno's crystal ball let him down.

Once they went down to 10 maybe. Before that they were playing the same way as they did in the 1st half. Jota/Costa weren't getting much joy and were binned for a slightly different approach. Obviously the sending off meant we could have done with Jota on the pitch, sadly Nuno's crystal ball let him down.

I don’t think a crystal ball was needed to know Jota is more of a goal threat than Bonatini, Traore for Costa was the only sub that needed making at that point.

Does anyone know if there will be a way to watch back full game highlights anywhere this year?

Does anyone know if there will be a way to watch back full game highlights anywhere this year?

Not sure about full match highlights, but if we feature on a Saturday at 3pm, you get extended highlights every Saturday night on Sky Sports on Match Choice.

They weren't offering anything though and we were pretty much on the front foot. Personally I would have thought leaving Raul in the middle with Jota on a right bollocking and Traore on for Costa would have suited us better, Leo doesn't really open up defensive teams and although it's early days I would say he's nowhere near as good a finisher as Raul. Just seemed strange at that point.

Agree with that boo. Leo is a nice footballer largely but he's never going to change a game

Agree with that boo. Leo is a nice footballer largely but he's never going to change a game

Not to berate him too much but he should have left the cross from Traore for Jiminez (no idea if Jiminez called for it but presumed he did) and Jiminez would probably have got that header on target.

They weren't offering anything though and we were pretty much on the front foot. Personally I would have thought leaving Raul in the middle with Jota on a right bollocking and Traore on for Costa would have suited us better, Leo doesn't really open up defensive teams and although it's early days I would say he's nowhere near as good a finisher as Raul. Just seemed strange at that point.

I think Nuno was a bit undone by the sending off after he'd made his subs. Leicester then reverted to their flat back 10 and Adama's pace was largely nullified. That's unfortunate.

I don't think that Doherty and Traore work on the right but Traore and Jonny did work on the left. It needs a better defender and somebody with a brain to play with Adama as he's quite a difficult player to read. (The only real piece of frustration in our transfer business).

Gaurdiola knew he was going to be up against a flat back 10 today at Huddersfield and picked his ball players that could use short sharp passes and movement because pace wasn't needed until Huddersfield had to chase the game. Sadly Nuno had played his hand at that point so couldn't put Jota or Costa back on as I think they would be very good in that situation.

I think we have the talent it's just knitting it together, I think we expect a lot from Nuno but it's his first go in the PL too.

I can't believe I'm getting pelters on Twitter for daring to say that Doherty isn't up to Prem football.

Back