• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

I think Lambert has until the summer for sure unless the wheels now completely fall off and we get sucked back in. I also think he is entitled to have a decent summer window to try and build something.

I am always very wary of HITC articles to be honest. Their hit rate is usually down there with talkshite.

He does need to settle down and stop with the random selections. He's had enough opportunities now to work out his best side.

He does need to settle down and stop with the random selections. He's had enough opportunities now to work out his best side.

or realises what he has in general, ain't all that so he is trying to keep them on their toes and push a little bit extra from them by making them think their place in the side is not guaranteed.

I think it's a sad indication of how well our recent history has gone, that people are asking for Lambert to be sacked after a run of 5-6 poor results. As he's proven, it IS possible in football to be able to turn things around - and three wins within the space of a week prove the players are clearly on side. Having 'fans' begging for him to be sacked after 4 months in charge doesn't help anyone.

Football in 2017 is fucking crazy. There is absolutely no patience or loyalty. It's quite sad, actually - but then that is the world we live in. Everyone wants something "now, now, NOW!!!".

Lambert hit the nail on the head for me with his comments after the Fulham win -

It's funny, you get the usual nonsense when a new manager comes into the club.

You get one or two results, you go and beat Liverpool and Stoke and everyone thinks you're great, you lose a few and everyone wants you out. I never get too high or low. But I never once felt under stress because I knew how well we were playing. I saw the stats coming in and the only thing missing was goals.

Now, everything seems to be back on track.

You keep the belief and you keep the feeling of the place upbeat, keep doing the same things. And then all of a sudden it clicks.

or realises what he has in general, ain't all that so he is trying to keep them on their toes and push a little bit extra from them by making them think their place in the side is not guaranteed.

Paul Lambert talks about Matt Doherty needing pressure on his first team selection to maintain his levels, while noting CBJ shows little at the present time.

https://twitter.com/BballCoachMac/status/843426689740869633

I would like Lambert gone at the end of the season. He talks absolute rubbish and whilst I haven't seen the last 3 games his football is garbage. I just don't think he's a very good manager.

Sadly, I think he'll stay along with the utter dross like Edwards and Doherty. The backroom staff will be the same and they will buy crap in the summer and we'll all be having this same conversation in November as the exact same thing happened with Jackett, Moxey and Sako.

Until we change as a club nothing will change.

Keeping a close eye on Paul Lambert's team selection within those front four positions, because with the same desire and application there is no need to change it. We just don't need to see Dave Edwards shoehorned into the ten position because it would once again destroy our fluency and abilities to rotate.

Keeping a close eye on Paul Lambert's team selection within those front four positions, because with the same desire and application there is no need to change it. We just don't need to see Dave Edwards shoehorned into the ten position because it would once again destroy our fluency and abilities to rotate.

Hopefully we'll see an end to the 5-6 changes per week now he's found a system that works.

Cavaleiro works best in the number 10 role, because he is creative, skillful and powerful. He works well with Costa (and when he's in the side it's difficult for teams to double up on Helder, which we saw happen a few times while Ivan was out injured). It also takes away his defensive responsibilities, which Lambert has alluded to a few times.

It also allows Edwards to play in a deeper role. We all know Edwards works tirelessly, so to have these attributes defensively when the opposition has the ball is invaluable. It also means he can arrive in the box when we're counter-attacking, and we've seen the benefits of this with the majority of his 10 goals this season coming from this position.

It's hard to disagree with Lambert when he says the major thing missing was the "finishing", during our run of 7 games without a win. We all know there was more to it than that, but he's given Weimann a chance up top and he's grabbed it. Fair play to both the player and the Manager.

A lot of people were critical of the Marshall signing at the time, but he's come in to the side and made a real difference.

There's still a lot of work to do over the summer, and I'm expecting wholesale changes. But a front 4 of Marshall, Cavaleiro, Helder & Weimann is more than good enough for this level. I still expect to see 1-2 changes per week to keep things fresh, but I think we've seen the last of the 6-7 changes each game.

Unless they are injured or fatigued (good chance of that in April) it will be the 4 that started v Fulham. You would hope that if one of them needs benching for a game it would be Dicko, Bod, Bright or even Ennis in and Dave can stay back where is of use on the pitch

I'm not sure our issues was 'finishing'. As a team we really were not creating that many chances because, funnily enough, lumping the ball into the channels does work that well.

Our creation came from Costa, Marshall and Cavaleiro putting their foot on the ball and combining with the players around them. We need to get the stages before that right (playing out from the back, playing through midfield) and we'd actually be a very decent side.

Having good passing DMs (Saiss, Evans?) with the front four we all want should work well whether we are counter attacking or simply attacking I would have thought?

I've never liked the 'he doesn't know what his best XI is' arguments. I think too many players have let him down after they've been given an opportunity in the side and maybe there haven't been enough challenges in training/matches to those places in the side? (See the Doherty/CBJ situation for instance). So yeah, he doesn't know - but that's not just down to him. He's been let down big time.

Also, Weimann and Marshall aside, they're not 'his' players. He's had to work with what he's been left with. Sure, you can make the point that he could have brought more players in during January but it's always struck me that he wanted to see what he could do with the current lot, and adjust accordingly when he's worked out what areas our main weaknesses lie (the big green one outside lolz lolz).

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Lambert as February was totally unacceptable, but I really don't think it's fair to properly judge him until he's had the summer and a full pre-season behind him. Ideally without Thelwell's 'influence'.

Lambert won't be sacked in the summer and nor should he be.

I've never liked the 'he doesn't know what his best XI is' arguments. I think too many players have let him down after they've been given an opportunity in the side and maybe there haven't been enough challenges in training/matches to those places in the side? (See the Doherty/CBJ situation for instance). So yeah, he doesn't know - but that's not just down to him. He's been let down big time.

Also, Weimann and Marshall aside, they're not 'his' players. He's had to work with what he's been left with. Sure, you can make the point that he could have brought more players in during January but it's always struck me that he wanted to see what he could do with the current lot, and adjust accordingly when he's worked out what areas our main weaknesses lie (the big green one outside lolz lolz).

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Lambert as February was totally unacceptable, but I really don't think it's fair to properly judge him until he's had the summer and a full pre-season behind him. Ideally without Thelwell's 'influence'.

I get that, but when players have played well (Iorfa, Weimann up front, Saiss, Price at times) they have then been dropped or moved. Its the randomness of it which gets me - Dave played shit at no 10 for weeks but we carried it on, that worries me.

I get that, but when players have played well (Iorfa, Weimann up front, Saiss, Price at time) they have then been dropped or moved. Its the randomness of it which gets met - Dave played shit at no 10 for weeks but we carried it on, that worries me.

I don't disagree with any of that - like I say, Lambert had a terrible February and he's far from blameless. I don't understand a lot of his decisions TBH (very puzzled about Iorfa's absense especially - I could understand dropping Price and even Saiss after the Rotherham game), but a lot of the players haven't helped themselves either.

Iorfa is a strange one. Didn't he do okay at Reading and hasn't been in the squad since?

I'm not having that Coady is better than him. He's fucking terrible (Coady). Serves a purpose, a very small one, but seriously limits us as a team. As does Batth. Both had steady games but were the clear weak points on Saturday.

Iorfa is a strange one. Didn't he do okay at Reading and hasn't been in the squad since?

I'm not having that Coady is better than him. He's fucking terrible (Coady). Serves a purpose, a very small one, but seriously limits us as a team. As does Batth. Both had steady games but were the clear weak points on Saturday.

Would you add Edwards to that list? Or you think he's "good" for us from CDM position? Personally I want him gone completely.

Would you add Edwards to that list? Or you think he's "good" for us from CDM position? Personally I want him gone completely.

Edwards is a decent enough squad player and his best form this season has been in the deeper midfield role...He should NEVER play in the #10 role again

As Darlo says - I can live with Edwards in a squad player role, which he needs to become. KJ got it spot on in our first season back in the Championship. Games where he can come on when we are winning, or setting up to counter away from home etc... he hasn't changed.

When he becomes our first choice player, particularly behind the forward we struggle as a team and it hinders other players development.

Coady just has no right to be anywhere near the squad. And we spent £2m on him? We got mugged off.

What I found bizarre was starting with Coady and Saville as full backs v Rotherham in a shape that encouraged them to get forward. Coady and Saville. Which is a bit like asking Mary Whitehouse to run the bar at a strip club. I don't rate Doherty, but if there's one game that might have actually suited him, it was that one (even though I thought Saville did okay defensive-wise). Coady is fine as a barrier at full back but offers absolutely nothing whatsoever going forwards, surely Iorfa would have been a better option? Very odd.

Back